MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rear warning lights

For volunteers running blue lights is it alright to have red/yellow lights in the rear window for use when on the emergency scene not while responding?
    Matt Guard FF / EMT
    www.IAFF2501.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I doubt it. I got my start in NY and as far as I can tell, one blue light is all you get. I have a feeling this depends more on what your Chief and the local PD have to say.
    Karl Neubecker
    Firefighter/EMT/PA-C
    Ellington, CT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Quoted from the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law

4. Blue light. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time
    by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter as provided for in this paragraph.

41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.
    2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

Forum Member

what color are your brake lights? what color are your hazard lights? what direction do they face?

if you have any questions, ask your local police department what their take is.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

there are members in my company that are both local pd and state troopers. they have said it is legal to have only a forward facing blue light when in motion, but once your vehicle is stopped you can also have one rear light. There was someone who challenged a ticket once after another members car was hit while on a scene. and a judge ruled in his favor, so there is a precident. The interpretation of the law that i have been told is to have one light that can be seen 360 degrees around. or a combo that creates that, not four rotators or anything like that.
    getzville fire
    station #2 "THE GHETTO"

JUST A CRUSTY BLACK HAT AND LOVING IT
    FFII/ EMT-B

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

http://www.getzvillefire.com

medic123
    Firehouse.com Guest

The key to the question is when stopped, I agree with others as to local PD.
    But that being said Yellow is the best for warning other vehicles, but to the exact ? While stopped yellow flashers are not against VnT here in NY while operating vehicle different story in fact no law against flare use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Blue lights are worthless...
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

I prefer not using a blue light. As helpful as they COULD be, people just don't pull out of your way.

A study was done in Rochester (by students at a local college, monroe county cops, and local fire houses) with many NON firefighters watching Volunteers with Blue lights drive by. They were asked how fast the firefighter was driving. The average GUESS was 11 miles per hour FASTER than the vehicle was really traveling.

They ran a test as well with firefighters with NO blue light, and the guesses were an average of 3 miles per hour SLOWER than what the vehicle was really traveling.

So no matter how fast you are driving, spectators will think you are speeding when using a blue light.

MembersZone Subscriber

That, my friend, is why I do not use it.

I have seen people get complaints about driving too fast through a neighborhood with a blue light when they were doing 29 in a 25. On any given day, people run 30-35 and yet the police don't get complaints.

On the flip side there are citizens who don't care how fast you drive because they know where you are going...
    FTM - PTB

Thread Information