MembersZone Subscriber

Question VOLUNTEERS LIVING IN STATION / SOP or SOG

I AM LOOKING FOR SOP'S OR SOG'S ANYONE MAY HAVE FROM THIER DEPARTMENT OR JUST SUGGESTIONS. I AM WRITTING GUIDELINES TO PUT INTO PLACE TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO LIVE AT THE STATION.

Forum Member

Don't scream, and contact some of the Prince George's County Maryland Volunteer Companies. try College Park first.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

also dont forget to search !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

we dont have a cerfew on the station but living there is not aloud. We have some guys that stay there 15 hours a day thought. there have been times bad storms or this year with the floods someguys stayed a few nights at the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is just a question:

Ok just for the sake of discussion. WHy would a Volunteer Department have people living in the station. Except for the times of storms. I know of only one combo department that did this. But the vollies were more like part time firefighters the volunteers becuase they were paid on call.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

Originally posted by MacInnis
    This is just a question:

Ok just for the sake of discussion. WHy would a Volunteer Department have people living in the station. Except for the times of storms. I know of only one combo department that did this. But the vollies were more like part time firefighters the volunteers becuase they were paid on call.
    Moat volunteer stations do this mainly for college students. They get to live there free by using there services for when there there for fire runs, updating thnigs and keeping trucks clean.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

I don't have any guidelines for you, but I can give you some perspective since we have this situation at my station.

- You don't need rules or SOG/SOPs to have the living situation run right. If you think you need rules for the people who're living there, you might reconsider letting them stay there in the first place.

- Don't make it the job of the live-ins to wash apparatus all the time. The non-live-ins will see this and get lazy and stop washing the trucks when they should. The same with other duties.

- Giving them SOPs also boxes you in. If you ask them to do something outside the guidelines, they can say no. Yes, give 'em some chores they always need to do, but don't try to define everything in writing. Again, if you have to worry about them getting things done or motivating them to give their time, they shouldn't be living there.

i'm a volunteer at a combo station right now while i'm going through fire academy. My Lt. tells us to stay 8/12/24 hr shifts. The most i've stayed is 18, spending about 2 nights a month doing over-niters.

I have a wife, brand new house, brand new truck, and am finishing EMT school this month. I have the SAME responsibilities as the guys at the station meaning I do the dishes after every meal, one just cooks, one sets, does trash, and one vacums....

we all do our duties they we are "assigned" to.. WE, yes even the Lt., Wash our engine and rescue at the end of ever shift and keeps up on station duties.

When i'm there, our crew is 5. When just the career guys are there, there's 4. They take me under thier wings and treat me like a rookie ( which i am, only being there 3 months w/ not one single class of fire academy yet). I know i'll still have to go through the rookie crap even when i'm hired hopefully. They work my ***** off w/ PT and endurance and i can't thank them more for showing me the ropes.
    Last edited by NYI4LIFE; 04-09-2005 at 04:18 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a resident at a station here in our district. Its great, except the nights you are running calls and have to be at work early but thats a trade off. Its great because my district has a lot of residential areas that are practically in the city we share boundaries with. We have rapid response, especially on fires with usually 2 or 3 responders. We have 3 residents at my station. We have 6 stations of which 3 have residents and 1 houses our paid staff.

As some have said, the regular volunteers think that since we live there we will pick up after them. Not true. We have a rule where if you use a glass or plate, you clean it. We have rules but they are legal things such as noone under a certain age after a certain hour, and no girlfriends or such spending the night. Stuff like that. If you would like more info you can contact me and I will see what I can get for ya.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

In my department all we really have for SOP's is keep things clean, never no when someone from the public, or a politician may stop by! Also we are not allowed to have late night visitors, especially those of the opposite sex. But really other than that there are no SOP's. We dont have set people who stay there.....well not people assigned to stay there....people choose to stay when they want.....I stay for the entirety of my 7 day duty week....and occasionally stay for other duty crews...me and the few that do stay do it out of a love of the service, and to better response times! The more rules you try to enforce the less fun it becomes to be there and the less you have people staying!
    The only true fear is fear itself!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been kicking around the idea to a few guys on my department. we have an upstairs that's not used. I've had mixed feelings about it. Some older guys don't like the idea. I was on a dept. in college and we had a station three of us lived at. I worked well. We had duties and had to make the call when we was there. There are times that the truck may roll out with one person for medical calls. If we had a few people at the station. We would have a better times on calls. The area would have better coveraged. Just a thought.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are they actually going to Live there (Home, address, etc) or are they pulling station duty. We have our Volunteers pull station duty when our 2 paid county firefighters are not on duty - nights, weekends, and holidays. We have no SOP/SOG to cover it. Common sense is the typical directive along with current SOP/SOG's that cover most everything anyway. We in Mississippi are under the archaic Rating Bureau system and to improve the department ratings this 24 hour coverage does help. The ISO system may also provide for extra points in its system also. Keep in mind that for them to count they are dedicated to the station for the time period - can't leave the response area.

Thread Information