Forum Member

Default responding speed limits

does anyones dept. have a set speed limit. our chief set it to tem mph of the posted speed. just interested if anyone else has one

MembersZone Subscriber

Our SOG also states 10 mph (or 15 kph Canadian) over when running Code 3, and conditions permit. The officer may order the individual to proceed slower.

As always, the driver must use his best discretion, drive based on conditions, and follow all of the other rules regarding emergency responses (too lengthy to list here).
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I drive as FAST as I F'ing can!

Just kidding of course. We do not have a set limit, like mcaldwell stated before, we MUST use discretion. You're no good to anyone dead.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Exclamation

This is based on the State Motor Vehicle Laws of your state.

In Virginia, you are allowed to exceed the posted speed limit by 10 mph, if conditions allows you to do such.

A good rule of thumb is to always drive safe and carefully, allowing plenty of room between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Big fire apparatus, don't come to a stop like the small passenger cars do.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Our SOP states 10mph over posted... conditions permitting.

"due regard to the safety of others"

If it isn't safe to go fast, slow down.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Department policy is 10 mph over the limit in both the apparatus and personal vehicles with red lights. POVs without red lights are required to drive the posted speed limit.

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyones dept. have a set speed limit. our chief set it to tem mph of the posted speed. just interested if anyone else has one
    If you mean in apparatus, we don't have a set limit BUT

- The engine is governed at 65 MPH
    - The tankers and brush trucks would be hard pressed to ever see 65
    - The rescue isn't first out on anything, and it better not be passing other apparatus

If you're responding in your private vehicle to either your station or the scene, our policy (and state code) says you obey all traffic laws.

Watch out for hard and fast limits. Just because you can go 10 over doesn't mean you should. There are roads in my district where it isn't safe to drive a fire truck at the limit, much less 10 mph over.

MembersZone Subscriber

We can and do drive as fast as the cops around here. Usually 80-90 MPH. (Just kidding). We have no written policy. Depending on the driver/officer, it may be up to 10-20 mph over, with traffic conditions taken into consideration, of course.

Forum Member

we are a rural dept. officer can advise the driver to slow down as well. we stop at all red lights and stop signs. due regard is always the most important. we started running with 2 other dept on house fires. they run as fast as the truck will go. THEY DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH IT. this is what made me wonder about this. if we pass a school bus. the bus drive must way the truck by. the oic gets out and walks between the bus and our truck. thanks keep the info coming.

MembersZone Subscriber

Drive fast, turn left like NASCAR!!

Drive it like you stole it........wide open till you see God, then brake!

Seriously, our SOG is "reasonable and prudent speed, as long as it is safe to do so." Generally it is 10mph but there has been times on the open highway we have went faster and other times when we go below the speed limit.

Basically it is whatever speed is safe. that depends on all kinds of things like driver experience, weather, road quality, traffic, school zones, vehicle being driven, etc. just to start with.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

A volunteer fireman, driving an authorized emergency vehicle which is responding to an emergency call, has been granted certain exemptions from traffic regulations of the Michigan Vehicle Code, Sec. 603, supra, which, in pertinent, part provides:

'(b) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle when responding to an emergency call, but not while returning from an emergency call, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, subject to the conditions of this section.

'(c) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

'(1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this act.

'(2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation.

'(3) Exceed the prima facie speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property.

'(4) Disregard regulations governing direction or movement or turning in specified direction.

'(d) The exemptions granted in this section to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when the driver of the vehicle while in motion sounds an audible signal by bell, siren, air horn, or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary except as provided in subsection (e), and when the vehicle is equipped with at least 1 lighted lamp displaying a flashing, oscillating, or rotating red or blue light . .

So when responding to a incident we can go 0 to what ever the conditions premit, we express to our newest members to not exceed, traffic, weather, or vehicle conditions. We recommend only 10-20 MPH over the regulated normal speed limit.

Forum Member

We dont have a set speed. Its all based on road and weather conditions, traffic and so on. I dont go much past 10 mph over the posted speed if conditions allow.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

In KY they do not have a set speed limit. The department can set one if they wish. My department does not have one either and most will drive as fast as they can. I may self will try not to go over 10 mph in both Engine and POV.
    Thanks
    DM

District Chief

Where I used to work, our SOP said 10 miles over the posted limit but not in excess of 70MPH regardless of the posted limit. However, the catchall phrase in the SOP was "With due regard for the safety of others."
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

The question is, how well enforced are your SOPs? In my dept, you would be lucky to get within 20mph of the posted limit due to traffic, traffic signals, etc... but our SOP says no faster than the posted limit.

Forum Member

I think state law gives us 10 MPH over, but our SOP is quite clear that members observe POSTED limits, either POV and in responding apparatus. Of course some people fudge it by 5 or 10, but they are transferring liability/responsibility to themselves by doing so.

Forum Member

SOGs say 10mph over posted limit as long as it's safe. In some parts of our township(Namely, the interstate and the straight away that is Route 40) we can get em up to that speed. Other than that, we either can't due to traffic or windy roads.

We did however arrive first across town Saturday to a fully involved commercial strip mall fire on a mutual aid run. Gotta love that feeling you get when you turn down onto the six lane road that crosses town with not a one car
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RLFD14
    Of course some people fudge it by 5 or 10, but they are transferring liability/responsibility to themselves by doing so.
    Actually it's not. Unless your Officers write the individuals up and follow through with discipline and suspension/termination for repeated offences, the liability fall directly on the supervisor (Officer).

In the world of OSHA and civil liability, a rule is only valid if enforced. The fact that "several" members don't comply, and they are not formally disciplined, basically means the rule is non-existent.

Look up some case law on these types of situations, and you will almost always find that the court/OSHA expect due diligence to be proven by the employer, or they will find management at fault.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

My department's SOPs state that 10mph over is the limit. However I have driven over that in certain situations. You drive for the situation, I know I drive little different to a CPR on an infant than I do to a ground level fall.

Forum Member

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    Actually it's not.
    Interesting points, thank you mcaldwell. I would sure not want to have to take up this legal situation. The SOP states the rule, and during new member indoctrination it is stated (but not on paper !! ) that if said member breaks this SOP that they are liable for whatever may come of it. I am not an officer on my department so I cannot enforce any SOP directly, but I have reported my observations of other drivers to the safety officer from time to time for the rare egregious fault (and I like the fact that I drive a somewhat conspicuous vehicle - it makes me an easy-to-identify target, which keeps me honest).

Beyond that - except for making sure I stay within our department's SOP - I can't do much.

Thanks again, mcaldwell.

Sorry for the thread hijack, ..... back to topic.

Forum Member

we are suppossed to drive with due regard........does that mean we exceed the speed limit>? Yes, does it mean sometimes we slow down ? Yes. We were told not to set a speed limit as it could be looked upon that the department allows for that so the law (and the SOG) state with due regard and even more stringent when approaching school buses.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

10 MPH over the speed limit is what our SOP says...yet most of us drive faster
    ~~Jenni~~
    Canaan Fire Department-Canaan, NH
    "In the end we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand,
    we will understand only what we are taught."
    Baba Dioum, Senegalese Conservationist

Thread Information