Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Thumbs down Ronnie Few wants his old job back... in Georgia!

Few wants fire chief post back

Former Augusta Fire Chief Ronnie Few applied for his old job Monday.
    Mr. Few, the city's fire chief from 1997 to mid-2000, when he left to take the fire chief's job in Washington, D.C., said he wants to finish the job he started in Augusta.

"I'm real upbeat, and I want to have an opportunity to serve in the city I live in and love," he said.

Mr. Few will face competition from his former special operations chief, Howard L. Willis, 56, the city's current emergency management director and interim fire chief. Chief Willis was appointed to head the fire department after Chief Al Gillespie resigned in February to take a job in North Las Vegas, Nev.

Mr. Willis said he would apply today.

Mr. Few said he implemented a five-year plan when he was in Augusta and that positive results are everywhere to be seen in the fire service.

"The fire stations are in the right places," he said. "I like the new fire engines that I ordered. I want to come back and finish the EMS program. It's one that I implemented while I was here, and it's going to need to work as well.

"I think this city is kind enough and big enough now that they can see the end product where we made some significant strides in this city."

Several Augusta commissioners agreed that Mr. Few has every right to apply for the position, including Commissioner Betty Beard, a staunch supporter.

Commissioner Andy Cheek agreed but questioned why he would want the job.

"It's like battered wife syndrome, I guess," he said. "I mean, he's coming back to an area where he's been verbally and emotionally abused, and why he would want to come back here is beyond me."

Commissioner Barbara Sims agreed that Mr. Few has every right to apply for the position but said that she was surprised he had because he has said publicly he was not interested.

"Everyone is entitled to submit an application," said Commissioner Don Grantham, "and as far as I'm concerned, until the committee that is charged with reviewing the applicants and bringing us the three we're asking for, I'm going to hold my remarks until that time."

Mr. Few, 53, left Augusta during a special Richmond County grand jury investigation that was highly critical of his performance as fire chief. Agents of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation seized records from his office, which eventually were turned over to Savannah. Savannah District Attorney Spencer Lawton said he decided not to prosecute because many of the grand jury's findings addressed alleged violations of municipal or departmental policy and would not constitute crimes even if proved.

Mr. Lawton also said that the statute of limitations had expired on some criminal charges suggested by the grand jury report and that those not barred by the statute could not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt on available evidence.

Mr. Few left the Washington fire department after two years amid controversy over his management and conflicts with the firefighters' union.

On Monday, Mr. Few said many Augusta residents had encouraged him to apply for the job.

"I prayed about it, and I thought this is an opportunity to serve back in our city," he said. "I live here, and even when I was away I built a home here because I knew I was coming back. So here I am, and I'm looking for an opportunity to serve."
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Question

He has got to be kidding.

Once a thief, always a thief. I wouldn't hire this slug for dog catcher!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

he can apply nothing says they have to give it to him. sounds like a bad deal for the firefighters. sounds like he is trouble

Seems like trouble always follows this fellow. Kinda makes you go "hmmmmm...."

Something just ain't right.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Talking

"Hello, I'm back, I'm Ronnie Few, and I might have learned a clue or two..."
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

It worked for Marion Barry (sp?) in D.C., why not Ronnie in GA?

He's lucky that he's not making little rocks out of big rocks.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

God help them if they give him his job back. Once a stump always a stump!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information