MembersZone Subscriber

Question Turnout gear Zippers Pro's/con's

I have a question for those who have zippers on there turnout jackets & or bunker pants. What are some of the pro's and con's of having zippers? I've seen some gear around like that and it seems to help with the time you get dressed. Only reason I am asking is I am looking around to purchase a set of turnout gear and some of the gear I've looked at comes standard with the zipper jacket and pants if anyone can give me some information I'd greatly appreciate it because as you all know gear isnt cheap and I'd like to make this gear as perfect as possible so that I get what I pay for.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

I find zippers very painful - especially in the pants

Seriously, the only problem we have with zippers are them falling out (stitching breaks) or the threads frey and get stuck. Other than that its just another closure.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you plan on wearing the gear in the winter, and it actually gets cold, you won't unzip the coat if you get soaked until you thaw.

Really bad when you have to, well, go behind a bush.

District Chief

I have not experienced any problems with zippers. In fact my old department was one of the first in Virginia to put zippers in pants legs so you could slip them on over the 10" leather structural boot.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have had d-rings,snaps and zipper with velcro on my coats and pants. Both worked. Takes a couple seconds longer to fasten with the snaps and d-rings. Zipper can get stuck but really have had no problem. As far as preference I would have to go with the zipper and velcro on my coat, but snap and d-ring on my pants.Just depends on what you like.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I like the zipper for pants in particular...I find it's quicker than snaps and D-rings.

Overall I prefer zippers for coats, too, but they have a couple of negatives....one, I sometimes fumble with getting the zipper started when I'm in a hurry, and two, you no longer have those D-rings to hang a flashlight, radio mic, etc. Once you get the zipper started it's also quicker, though. Also less likely to do it half-*****ed (like doing the snaps and not the D-rings).....

If you plan on wearing the gear in the winter, and it actually gets cold, you won't unzip the coat if you get soaked until you thaw.
    That's one problem we've never had to deal with down here.....
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 03-23-2005 at 04:42 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

My pants have always had zippers , my first pair of pants used when i was in college , were like a steel zipper had to use pliers some times top get the damn thing up.

But other than that old pair of pants I've always had zippers on my firedex issued clothes and its great saves time and comforatble , Ive had snaps before and it sucked major , crap.

I recomend firedex gear with the zippers and velcro overlay to anyone the whole county here uses it and noones ever complained although it is brand brand brand new gear just got it 3 months ago but it looks 2 years old now lol i need to wash it with all the brush and structure fires lately.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

We use zippers down here, and they are the thing that always needs repair - things are always breaking somewhere on the zipper. I'm starting to wonder whether the department is spec'ing too light a zip to "save" money. I prefer the hook and 'D' because it moves better with you (the left and right halfs of your coat can move independantly a little, rather than being locked together).
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to have the snaps on the inside and the hooks on the outside. I never used to snap the inside snaps, it was way too much of a hassle. I now have a zipper and do that every time. For me it is definately the way to go. I have never had any problems with the zipper breaking.

Forum Member

i have to agree 100% with Sshank42. The zipper on the coat is awesome but i dont think i would want it on my pants, too many "important" things could get caught in it.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

not sure how old your are but if you have any middle age spread IE pot belly, big gut ect ect, you will find putting the zipper together on the jacket kind of hard, I dont like thim although I'm sure they make a better seal (to keep out heat) than the old buckles,

Forum Member

We tried a couple coats and had problems due to salt air/water corroding the zippers fairly quick. Yes, regular maint will help slow it down, but why require that extra maint. Did not offer any plus's to us.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I used turnouts with zippers for about 8 years...now I wear snaps & clips with d-rings. Personally and I'm not sure why I like the clips. I think they might be a bit cheaper and lower maintenance...not sure though.

I also use the d-ring to attach my (1620) fireman service elevator keys and a clip for my gloves. Kind of handy in that respect.

I also used to have pants with a zipper..I stoped using it as it is really in my view superfulous as the velcro and clip hold the pants closed. No need for the zipper.

My pants now don't have a zipper and I haven't noticed a difference from it.

Other than cost...I'm not sure there is much a difference.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer the zipper with velcro. i had gear with the old snaps and clips, but with the heavy duty zipper in the pants and coat, it makes it much quicker to get dressed.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have the opportunity of using both zipper and the D-ring style, I use the Fire Dex zipper/Velcro at work on the daily bases and find it much faster and easier to fasten than my ring and hook gear at my volley department. Also the zippers are made of a plastic material and I have never had a problem with it sticking, although about once a month I do lubricate the zippers with just a touch of vegetable oil. I would go with the zipper; I don’t think you would be disappointed.

Forum Member

I, personally, have never used the zippers. I have the snaps and D-Rings, but I believe not long after I got my gear, they started to get the stuff with the zippers. Haven't heard too many complaints about them, though....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I liked the zipper on my coat when I had it. It felt more "secure" when it was zipped up to me. The downsides I experiened were once in a while, I would over-zip the zipper. The zippers have a safety feature built in where you can zip them clear to the top where one side ends before the other. At this point, you simply pull the zipper apart so that you can get the coat off in a hurry. Not a frequent problem, but definately something to consider. The other problem is that if you wear the bottom of the male end out, it becomes difficult to threat the zipper into the female end. At that point, you pretty much need to replace the zipper to fix the problem.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I use both.

D-rings can be nice to clip other stuff to. But I don't like the large gaps between the snaps.

On my other coat with the zipper, it also has Velcro. Gearing up is slightly quicker with this type. I also like this because it completely closes up the jacket without any gaps. One problem is keeping the Velcro clean of fuzz and lint. On the pants, I don't like the Velcro as the primary closure. When crawling, kneeling, and just moving in general the fly tends to open up.

Overall, I like the gear with Velcro and zipper.

Forum Member

Have had each (D-rings ans snaps) and now have zippers on pants and coat. It doesnt really matter to me...I like 'em both.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I guess we got lucky in the fact that we have zipper/D-rings on our coats...I like it a lot...total closure on the inside with places to hang stuff on the outside. The pants though, they are a snap/D-ring/velcro...not a bad set up either

Forum Member

Used both, prefer zipper and velcro on coat, and a combination of zipper velcro and d ring for pant.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

I have used both. First set of gear that was delivered with zippers was great until they wore out. On several occassions I had to remove the coat over my head and then use pliers to get the zipper unstuck. We then went back to the d-ring style. Never had a problem there. We have now returned to the zipper (new generation) and have not experienced any of the previous problems. We are using Globe Extreme at this time and they have made great strides in the advancement of PPE.

Did not notice any difference in turn-out time using either closure system. Both systems will work for the intended purpose. Hope this is of some value in making a determination that WILL save your *****.
    Last edited by BFDLT32; 03-26-2005 at 02:58 AM.

Forum Member

I hate zippers. Our old Globe turnout gear had zippers on it. It was an absolute pain to get them started whenever it's 2:30AM on a Saturday night and they're yelling 'Fully involved' or 'Working fire with confirmed entrapment!' over the radio. I'll take my D-rings and hooks any day(I don't bother with the buttons. They take too long too).
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

I've had both, and prefer zipper and velcro on the coat, and velcro d ring on the pants. The velcro on the pockets though, I could live with out.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a coat with a zipper and really disliked it in the winter. zippers would freeze. It was a pain. Also as mentioned before when your adrenaline is flowing zippers can become a problem depending on the person.

I still love the D-ring inside velcro outside closure.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Thread Information