MembersZone Subscriber

Default Florida Fire College

Has anyone attended the fire academy in Ocala? If so can you give me some feedback from it, I'm thinking of attending at the end of the year.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not attend the one in Ocala, however most of the academies are ran the same. As you are aware, FL is known for tough academies and they like to send everyone regardless of their experience or education back through their schools. I had several buddies that went to Ocala and I know a few of the instructors. The school is awesome. If you have had military experience, you will do fine. Basically, it is run like boot camp. Lots of exercises, running, evolutions and positive reinforcement(aka pushups). If you are not in shape, I recommend you start training. It does not have to be intensive, just start conditioning you body, especially cardio for endurance. If you want a leg up, when you start, you should be able to run 1.5 miles in less than 15 minutes, do at least 25-50 pushups, 50 situps and be able to drag a 100 ft of hose at least 50 yards. When you drag hose, practice going forwards and backwards to build up those seldom used muscles. Eventually, you will run in full gear while dragging the hose. And finally, train on a stair stepper or some stadium steps. You will climb the tower every day sometimes several times a day.

Now, having said all that, the physical is usually no big deal. You will adapt. Where most people fail out or are kicked out is when it comes to ACADEMICS. The tests are not a joke. You will not be passed just because you are a superb FF on the field. You must study and study a lot. The FL written test is a ball buster. I consider myself to be intelligent, but that damn test stressed me out big time. They ask a lot of obscure information. Read your IFSTA manual and not just the paragraphs. There were questions that came from captions underneath photographs. I can't say it enough. STUDY STUDY STUDY. Form study groups early on in class and stick with it. Do not wait unitl the last minute. Anyways, thats about it for now. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks for the feedback, It gives clearer picture of what to expect

Thread Information