Forum Member

Default Fire Department Culture

Hey everyone, i need to pick a topic for my cultural anthropolgy class, and basically we have to write a 6-8 page paper on a certain culture, can be anything, and some different aspects of it. and i thought, why not do the FD. was wondering if someone could give me just some different topics that i could dive into about fire dept. culture. some i have thought of so far:

Brother/sisterhood
    Apparatus attachment
    funerals (could be tied in with brotherhood though)

any help would be greatley appreciated.

Forum Member

The words:
    "Old ladies" and "sewing circle" come to mind about some departments.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Just watch MTV's "Real World". I think you'll get a good idea what goes on in a firehouse
    Heyyyyy, What's Up There! (Frank Rizzo-Jerky Boys)

Forum Member

? i know what goes on at my firehouse, but was wondering some different ones what goes on.

Forum Member

Well, let's see..... I show up at 8am, coffee in hand. Listen to the other shift complain at all the cleaning they had to do because the previous shift is lazy. We talk, eat breakfast, make/drink more coffee. Then knock out the daily's for the day. Train on whatever. Run calls whenever. Work out, wash our cars, go on the internet, watch TV (man this is getting boring). All after the brass leave of course! And hopefully, sleep most of the night. Before I leave I make sure I leave a small piece of paper on the floor so the oncoming shift can complain to the next shift about us. It keeps the circle of complaining going strong. I love being a fireman!
    Heyyyyy, What's Up There! (Frank Rizzo-Jerky Boys)

MembersZone Subscriber

You could include the change in focus through the years from reactive (fire suppresion after the initial ignition) to proactive ( improved electrical devices, better building methods and fire resistant materials and public education re: fire safety). You could include how Fire Services is expanding slowly to include EMS services which was previously the domain of public and private ambulance services only.The anthrological focus would be man's need to control his world including natural elements. How man's understanding of fire and it's contributing factors (particularly materials) have led to the change in how the fire service now fights fire, provides EMS services and the public perception of the fire service. Heck you could examine how the fire service became cultural heros and the reaction of your average firefighter to that perception.

Those topics alone could go 6-8 pages each.

Holy cow, I think I just broke my own writer's block and came up with an idea for my local paper. Thanks!
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

no, thank you! that was EXACTLY what i was looking for!

IACOJ BOD

Cultures

I have seen a variety of cultures and various moulds growing in strange places at the station, some even on the people who were born lazy.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

6-8 pages on the culture of why paid and volunteer have issues with each other. The culture of "doing it for a paycheck" and "doing it to serve my community" crap. The culture of "Not enough staffing to do the job safely" and "Why won't they let untrained guys help".

This could go on and on for many pages...as long as you don't need an answer at the end.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information