MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interview panel wants to know if you have questions for them

I have heard manyifferent things about this, but at the end of the interview if the panel asks you, do you have any questions for us, should you ask if you u have one, or just say no and thank you for your time and this opportunity.

Forum Member

You definitely should have some good questions to ask (and not about how much money you'll be making, how many vacation days you'll get, etc.) Make sure somewhere in the interview process that you give the impression that you've researched the place where you're interviewing and then ask questions based on your research. Checking their website, if they have one, ahead of time is a must. Don't forget to send a "thank's for the interview" letter or call after the interview. GOOD LUCK!

Forum Member

Asking the Panel Questions?

Candidates have been told that you always have to ask a question if you’re given the opportunity at the end of an interview or you will lose points. In a regular or corporate interview that might be true. Not true in a fire oral!

You never, ever, ever, have a question. We don’t expect you to have any questions. I had a guy one day ask, “Since I live so far away, can I start at second step pay to help pay for my gas?”

If that question is asked (here’s the “Nugget”) you can pause as if your gathering your thoughts and then say, “No, I think we covered everything.”

We had another candidate say, “You have probably heard about the charges against me for stealing over at the college?” No, we haven’t, why don’t you tell us about it. Here was another candidate who have done an outstanding job in his oral and he had to bring this up. His score dropped like a wounded seagull. This is not the time to bring up anything like this.

You never bring up a negative item unless the panel does. They probably won’t. If they do, have a simple, short (I said simple and short) answer to the situation.

Don't forget to send a "thank's for the interview" letter or call after the interview.

Most often the panel member might be from other departments, there are so many candidates it can be hard to even remember who you are, and the decission is made before you could lick the stamp.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Forum Member

Interesting perspective! Thanks for the insight!

Thread Information