Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default cheater bars for scba mask

anyone know to make these for scott facepiece. list of materials and vendors used. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't this subject get beaten to death several months ago and end with a closed thread?

Forum Member

i'm sorry i missed all of that. why closed thread?

God Bless America! ē Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friendô ē Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Default Re: cheater bars for scba mask

Originally posted by osiris500mob
    anyone know to make these for scott facepiece. list of materials and vendors used. thanks
    You want to mess up one of the most important parts of your presonal protective equipment?

Sound like someone has a deathwish... don't plan on using one, dying in a fire and expect your survivors to get LODD benefits...

There's something in the water later lately...maybe it's...

[size=huge]Stupidium![/size]
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-23-2005 at 08:15 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Ditto........

Why would you even think about doing this???????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

With the nice elasticized hair nets on modern SCBA masks, there is no need to jeopardize your safety with a rig like that. Scott's in particular are very easy to pull on and off without re-adjusting.

And the practice of removing your mask during overhaul should be avoided too. The latests studies show some of the nastiest by-products are found during overhaul. This sounds like a recipe for the big C to me.

Just my 2 cents.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: cheater bars for scba mask

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

You want to mess up one of the most important parts of your presonal protective equipment?

Sound like someone has a deathwish... don't plan on using one, dying ina fire and expect your survivors to get LODD benefits...

There's something in the water later lately...maybe it's...

[size=huge]Stupidium![/size]
    Thanks Capt.

This subject has me dumbfounded. Why would anyone want to use this device? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Use the SCBA as it is designed or the legal ramifications could cause the department a major headache.

Thumbs down

If you take the doors off your car it will be easier getting in and out!! Don't do it.

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: cheater bars for scba mask

Originally posted by osiris500mob
    You can pm or email me and Iíll give you the full lowdown on the attributes of being a knucklehead. Basically, the same schpeel Iíve given to a few younger members of the fire service including one in my dept.

Iíll also explain to you why I sincerely feel that Iím the luckiest guy on earth.

A full listing of idiotic things Iíve done over the years because I thought I was invincible. One of those idiotic things, from a list of many -- is going into fires (good jobs) as a routine with my face piece dangling on my side until conditions absolutely forced me to put it on my face. No one really knows the exact cause of many cancers including the one that Iím fortunate enough to be beating. However, most Doctors would agree that inhalation & absorption of toxic smoke and gases (both one time and repeated exposures) would be one of the many suspects on their list.

A few years back FDNY-UFA was able to get the cancer bill through for their members by gathering statistics showing a higher incidence rate of certain types of cancer amongst FFís. This should be the standard for all FDís both volunteer and paid.

Guyís years ago (fire service war years) who used cheaters and bite bars didnít know any better. Way back when, getting a guy to use a cheater or bite bar could be considered an improvement from using nothing at all. Today we all know better, as I should have, and now do.

Stay Safe

Thumbs down Lame...

How f-ing lame is this? Do you want to get by your whole
    like by cheating?

Why? Just for the FDNY look/way of doing things? Give me
    a break?

Stop cheating and use your PPE properly.

-Bou

Exclamation

It would be like diving 50 feet into a swimming pool in the dead of winter, only to find out that there isn't any water in the thing!!!

Don't monkey with your PPE!!!!!!

Forum Member

Holy cow. That guy looks like a real genius. Not only is he wearing a carhart coat for bunker gear, he's got the regulator hooked up to plastic mouthpiece, but with no actual mask around it. What the heck good is that? Looks like one of the newer Scott masks too. Wonder what his justification for tearing up a perfectly good mask was.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

wanted to be a scuba diver but can't swim?

One step forward, three steps back. I have a spot the size of a quarter on my left lung from being young, stupid and arrogant a number of years ago. Took my mask off when I was specifically told not to during over haul in a quonset hut filled with plastic bins. After a couple days in the hospital, I had a lot of the stupid and arrogant knocked out of me. The Chief took care of the rest when I came back to the station.

Leave the mask alone!!

MembersZone Subscriber SIGNAL99COM's Avatar

Looks like Lt. Pete Lund from R-2 (Ret.)

Wouldn't smoke still get into your eyes when using that mask?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Originally posted by DepChief135
    wanted to be a scuba diver but can't swim?

One step forward, three steps back. I have a spot the size of a quarter on my left lung from being young, stupid and arrogant a number of years ago. Took my mask off when I was specifically told not to during over haul in a quonset hut filled with plastic bins. After a couple days in the hospital, I had a lot of the stupid and arrogant knocked out of me. The Chief took care of the rest when I came back to the station.

Leave the mask alone!!
    Let's hope he only uses that rig when teaching in training classes. The smoke machines we use don't have any toxins.

But didn't I see that guy in the movie Deliverance?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information