Thread: Good thinking

Forum Member

Default Good thinking

Firefighters use snow to put out blaze at remote cabin

Associated Press
    Mar. 21, 2005 08:45 AM

HINSDALE, Mass. - Firefighters used their wits - and some snow - to battle a fire in a remote cabin.

About a dozen Hinsdale firefighters trekked three-quarters of a mile to the burning, one-story seasonal camp on Bullard's Crossing Road on Saturday evening.

Since the road was not plowed, fire trucks and other vehicles could not reach the scene, and the firefighters had to carry their equipment - including five-gallon water cans on their backs - to reach the cottage. advertisement

They shoveled snow through a bedroom window and pumped water from the cans that usually are used for brush fires to knock down the cabin's flames. Firefighters were at the scene for more than three hours.

Fire Chief Larry Turner said it was the first time his people ever had to use snow to put out a blaze.

The fire, which Turner labeled suspicious, burned out a room in the cabin.

Forum Member

Sounds like these folks have the same motto as a Marine Recon unit:

Adapt and Overcome

Forum Member

I did that once during the overhaul phase of a small machine shop fire last year. I got bored and kicked snow on all of the little hot spots in the piles on the ground....lol...

MembersZone Subscriber

Better them than me

But hats of to them
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

Forum Member

Someone posted it before, adapt and overcome, is a asset today with what we could be dispatched to.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Well before I was transfered, my partner and I would play Metallica inside the cab of our rescue when we would go to major car accidents or fires.

Forum Member

Hinsdale is a town about 1/2 hour away from me. From what I've read in the paper (the article posted here) and listening to the dispatch, it was a cluster due to lack of access. These guys did a hell of a job with what they had. We've been known to "adapt and overcome", but this takes the cake for inguinuety (sp?). My hats off to Cheif Larry Turner and the brothers from Hinsdale, they show that us rural Berkshirites can get the job done no matter what, along with the rest of the fire service!
    BTW, we got another 10 or so inches of that white stuff overnight.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Originally posted by fightn15
    Well before I was transfered, my partner and I would play Metallica inside the cab of our rescue when we would go to major car accidents or fires.
    ???????????????
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Last year, responded to a report of "explosion and fire" reported by neighbor with no further description. Arrived on scene and found a construction crew milling around a burned-out electric generator - a very large one permanently mounted to a trailer, about the size of a 12 passenger van. Apparently an oil line had split, sprayed oil all over the engine compartment, and when it ignited it blew open all of the panels and had flames up to 10' over the trailer. The construction guys emptied their fire extinguisher to no avail, and then threw snow on it with shovels and bare hands and put it out before we got there.

Good job!
    Last edited by RLFD14; 03-24-2005 at 09:55 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Huh. Good thinking. Now how about adding a snowblower to the engine co. inventory?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    ???????????????
    FNG

I think he meant to be over here.

Thread Information