Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St. Paul Test

MembersZone Subscriber

Default St. Paul Test

I took the St. Paul written test and have no clue how they are gonna score that thing and get the "best applicants". It was all about personality traits, prejudices, and that sort of thing. I think there was about 5 math questions but other than that it was really a strange test. I hope I pass, I did the only thing I could do and that was to answer each question honestly?

Anybody know how many they are gonna hire in St. Paul this year??
    Last edited by bubbadafireman; 03-25-2005 at 12:00 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't heard an exact figure, but as was mentioned in the beginning of the test session, the list is good for three years.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Clueless

I'm feeling you on the test as well. I would have thought there would have been more math questions, atleast more than what was there. My mind was about shot from the questions before that anyways. I think it was like the test I took for the Minneapolis airport fire dept.

Basically a personality and opinion test. Which I didn't even get asked to continue on with the hiring process.

I want to know how would you study for that kind of test. I guess I'll wait for another dept to test.
    If you can read this, Thank a teacher. Since this is in english, Thank a Marine.

Forum Member

If it is the same as the test in 1999, a score of 75% or better gets you to the physical, and then your score from those two tests is averaged to give your final score, which determines your placement on the list.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone know how many FF St. Paul hires a year??

they said the list was good for 1-3 years.

2000 people there to take the test when I was there.

What are the other paid fire dept.'s up in the twin cities metro, that will hire FF/EMT-B??

Forum Member

First off, there aren't that many full-time departments in the Twin Cities. The full-time departments are:

Minneapolis
    St. Paul
    MAC (Airport Fire)
    Richfield
    Burnsville
    West St. Paul
    South St. Paul

The following departments are primarily full-time, but are combination departments:

Edina
    St. Louis Park
    Coon Rapids

Finally, these departments are primarily part-time with a small full-time component:

Fridley
    Columbia Heights
    St. Anthony

Departments that will hire an FF/EMT-B are:

Minneapolis (Not required/open application)
    St. Paul
    St. Louis Park
    Richfield
    South St. Paul
    West St. Paul

The other departments either require Paramedic (Edina/Burnsville), only hire from their part-time component (Coon Rapids) or I'm not familiar with their hiring practices.

As for the St. Paul test, it sounds like it was the same test as the last go around. I took that test and was offered a job, twice, but I couldn't afford the pay cut from my current full-time fire job. Getting a full-time fire gig in Minnesota is a long, difficult process and my best advice is to test as often as you can. Or, if you're young and don't have too many ties to the area, consider moving to an area of the country that places an emphasis on full-time firefighting.

Forum Member

Coon Rapids hires only from their vollie list. Edina does require FF/medic for their fulltime guys and I believe only FF/EMT for their vollies and they hire from a list of applicants that test. Burnsville also takes applications but only if you are FF/medic.

As for SPFD, I heard that the first class will be about 20-25 or so and maybe 2 more classes after that but of unknown size.

Oj

Forum Member

I just got my letter today. I'll be back in the city on Thursday, June 2nd, at 2:15.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Thread Information