Default Questions about Fire Safety Occupations for Boy Scout Fire Safety Merit Badge

I'm helping my nephew research certain fire safety occupations for his Boy Scout Fire Safety Badge.

He needs to know the level of education required and responsibilities of a person in the following positions.

Firefighter
    Chief Aircraft Rescue Firefighter
    Wildland Firefighter
    Firefighter/EMT/Medic
    Airport Firefighter/Operations
    Army Paramedic Instructor
    Junior Firefighter

Thank you in advance and if this thread needs moved to a more appropriate subject title please let me know where to find it.

Cherity

Forum Member

If you're helping him do this, maybe it's more appropriate for him to go to the local firehouse and interview the crews.

Us giving him the answers are the easy way out, your nephew should work for the badge.

Let me try and explain our position a little better. We come from rural Nebraska; very rural Nebraska with a population of maybe 200 residents if we are lucky and if we sneak a few chickens into the head count. Our local department is run by volunteer's; they are a valuable asset to our community which goes without saying.

We are planning a trip to Lincoln which to my knowledge is the nearest city that employs paid firefighters; but, it is over a two hour drive one way so time will be limited and we will have to hit them at a good time and have yet to hear back from the department. He is only asking for a head start...to help organize the conversation and questions he will need to ask to write his report (he's one of those above the call of duty kids ). We are not asking for detailed information...maybe, links to certain requirements for the occupations I've listed would be very helpful.

In closing we are not looking for the answers just a helping hand.

I can understand why you question my motives and I can only hope that you believe they are only in my nephew's best interest. I cannot invite a 12 year old to use or give free access without adult supervision to the internet. Call me over-protective...I call it realistic.

Cherity

Forum Member

Originally posted by Badge4Me
    Our local department is run by volunteer's; they are a valuable asset to our community which goes without saying.
    and your point is? do they have a listed phone number? if your town is that small, do you know who the chief is? give them a call. many volunteer departments have regular training sessions. stop by during one of them and ask your questions.

it's not simple, but it beats a 4 hour round trip to the nearest career department.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Our local department is run by volunteer's; they are a valuable asset to our community which goes without saying.
    Local department, there's a GREAT resource for you. A two hour trip both ways isn't needed. Give your local fire chief a call, I'm sure they can give you what you need, and it will be your nephew asking the questions himself.

and your point is? do they have a listed phone number? if your town is that small, do you know who the chief is? give them a call. many volunteer departments have regular training sessions. stop by during one of them and ask your questions.
    I'm sorry I thought I had made it clear in my last post that we had in fact not only contacted our local fire chief but also met with our own volunteer's. He still needs three interviews to write his paper which he will accomplish when we get to Lincoln. He is only asking basic information to get idea's of what kinds of questions to ask. If you don't know the answer please don't waste our time or your own replying in such a hurtful and disrespectful manner.

Thank you

I'm sorry for losing my temper...I appreciate the concern for the length of our trip but it's really of no concern since we have family in Lincoln and can turn it into far more then just an information excursion.

He wants feelings, reactions something he cannot get off the net so he can't interview anyone over the net and frankly you just don't know a real from a fake via internet. What he wants is to have his questions planned out i.e. did you have to work your way thru college? what jobs have your performed?, etc very basic stuff. But, lets face it a paid crew from a large and bustling city isn't going to have the time to sit with a little boy who is unorganized as a volunteer team would.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I'm sorry for losing my temper...I appreciate the concern for the length of our trip but it's really of no concern since we have family in Lincoln and can turn it into far more then just an information excursion.

He wants feelings, reactions something he cannot get off the net so he can't interview anyone over the net and frankly you just don't know a real from a fake via internet. What he wants is to have his questions planned out i.e. did you have to work your way thru college? what jobs have your performed?, etc very basic stuff. But, lets face it a paid crew from a large and bustling city isn't going to have the time to sit with a little boy who is unorganized as a volunteer team would.

You just may be surprised about the members in the BIG CITY fire department. If they are like any others they will give the lad the time and help him on his merit badge info.

Don't give up too quick!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Cherity,
    Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dan, I'm Eagle Scout from Troop 220. Got my fire safety merit badge when I was 16. The conseler was a Miltown FD past chief. So I've been in your nephews shoes, and I think you might be surprised how many FFs as also past BSA members and current Eagle Scouts.

I've been involved in the Volunteer Fire Service since 1998. I went to Syracuse University, worked for all but the first month and a half of my 3 1/2 years there, for horrible wages. I graduated with a BS in Information Management. My parents helped me out with the funding, as did financial aid. I'm also a certified EMT (since I was 17 years old), which was one of the jobs I had in college. I've done more in the EMS field than I have in firefighting, for various reasons which I won't go into.

btw, many of us jumped to conclusions due to the lack of information you provided. you never mentioned you had family in lincoln, so the trip wouldn't be just to visit a FH, or that you already spoke to the local department. Had I known that information, I would have provided a different response. Also, from what you originally posted (and what I quoted), I took to mean that your town has volunteers, and as such, they don't know anything, so your going to drive 2 hours just so you can talk to a paid crew. hence my response.

when you go to the BIG CITY, stop by a firehouse. If they aren't on a run, most of the guys (and girls) would take the time to do a PR thing with a 12 year old scout. and I think that you might find them having more downtime than you think.

no hard feelings, ok?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Don't give up too quick!
    I do believe that my coming back here after the first post is enough evidance to prove I do not give up quickly...Some call it stubornnes, I call it persistance, my husband calls it a headache.

And I was surprised at how kind the man I spoke with was, we are just trying to get all our ducks in a row before we go.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Re: Questions about Fire Safety Occupations for Boy Scout Fire Safety Merit Badge

He needs to know the level of education required and responsibilities of a person in the following positions.

Firefighter
    Chief Aircraft Rescue Firefighter
    Wildland Firefighter
    Firefighter/EMT/Medic
    Airport Firefighter/Operations
    Army Paramedic Instructor
    Junior Firefighter
    As far as education, I'd assume you mean what is required to become certified in the listed positions? But if you don't mean that, educational requirements are pretty standard across the board. All of the above listed require HS Degree or GED (except of course, jr. FF). Some departments are beginning to require college degrees (2yr. or 4yr.) in order to advance and get promoted. But that depends on your area department.

NOW... if you DO mean the certification classes which the above listed are required to take.. that's another story! Most states require generally the same things, but some states throw in different requirements just to be difficult! The only one listed that practically has NO educational requirements is the Junior FF. That's because in most all states you have to be 18 to become certified, that's not to say you can't take the course before your 18 birthday, but it doesn't mean anything until you're 18. Period! Basically for Jr. FF (being a former Jr. myself) all one has to do is keep their grades above a certain level and attend training at the meetings. EVERY department structures their program differently, so you'll probably get 10 different answers here from different people about the Jr.s.. but bottom line is.. not prior 'educational' requirements.
    I'd suggest looking at the web sites below.. each job listed above has different requirements (except for the ones considered 'dual-trained' or 'cross-over' meaning a FF/Medic has to take BOTH the FF courses and the Paramedic courses.. there isn't a FF/Medic course.)
    This should get you started... let me know if I can help anymore. Being an Eagle Scout myself, I'm always willing to help!

http://www.nebraskasfmtd.org/ (under 'Course Description' it talks about Wildland FF. ALSO go to 'Certification Info' and click on 'Certification Programs' it talks about FF1/FF2. most all volunteer in MY area are required to get their FF1/FF2 within 1 year of joining a volunteer department.)

http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/ems/emscert.htm (this give information about Nebraska State EMT and Paramedic certification. it gives info. from First Responder (lowest level) all the way to EMT-Paramedic (highest level). I'd look up your local community college and you can find out exactly how many hours each course is... THEY'RE LOOONNG and b-o-r-i-n-g! )

http://www.nebraskasfmtd.org/Certifi...tP&PManual.pdf (gives a little more information about getting your Firefighter cert. in Neb)

http://www.mufrti.org/catalog/aircraft.htm (aircraft firefighter (ARFF) training requirements. look at the initial stuff.. skip over the 'refresher' part)

As for 'Chief' Aircraft Firefighter.. not sure about that one. If you mean a Chief of an airport fire department, then they'll be required to have been an ARFF for several year, probably will HAVE to have atleast a 4yr. degree and will need to have prior management experience and management certifications.

Firefighter/EMT/Medic - well I'm sure you've figured out is actually 3 different things. one would need to take all three certifications as there is not a FF/EMT/Medic (combined) class.

Army Paramedic Instructor - that's tough. Typically whoever is hiring or employing a Paramedic Instructor sets the necessary qualifications for the job. Most require many years of experience, additional EMS certifications (ACLS and PALS, PEPP, and BTLS or PHTLS, etc.), and typically either a 2 or 4 yr. college degree. Now as far as an Army Instructor.. not sure.. probably about the same, just will need courses dealing with Combat Medic stuff, experience in the field, and will obviously have to become a soldier (of one!) first!

That should be a good enough start to get ya'll going!! Like I said.. if you need any more help, just let me know!!

Forum Member

And I was surprised at how kind the man I spoke with was, we are just trying to get all our ducks in a row before we go.

Thanks.
    I'd be more than suprised if you went to a local 'Big City' department and the firefighters there showed no interest and didn't offer any help! Just be sure to go around mid-afternoon... or mid-morning... wouldn't want to interrupt meal time or movie time!! Our calls do that for us!!

Doc,

First off I feel like a complete jerk for being so forward and harsh with you and for reporting your post (if you have any idea on how to edit my profile so that I can send a personal message to the moderator of this section to apologize for jumping the gun please let me know ASAP).

I am an administrator for an online victim's community and moderate for an ADD support forum. I should have realized that our main problem was a communication gap and done everything in my power to clarify instead of just reacting. For that I apologize and will do my honest best to get in touch with the mod of this section.

Ok when I took my nephew to the fire hall here in town I didn't catch much of the discussion since it is his project and I was far too interested in the smutt book I was reading at the time.
    So, the technical terms are confusing me lol.

First let me tell you how impressed I am...a medic at 17? I'm sure that was a lot of pressure, I was lucky if I could pick an outfit out without asking advice at 17. I hope he gets to interview someone who started as young as you did I think he'd get a kick out of it. I do think I need to clarify the college question though...to perform your job did you have to attend a four year college or as in nursing only a two year college? I really need to work on my communication skills.

As for our volunteer's we know each and everyone of them personally and do help with fund raisers and such...remember we are a small community and take care of our own. I hold our volunteer's in the highest regards. But, after reading the post in question I can see how you would come up with the wrong assumption and I do apologize.

When we stop by the big city lol I love that one. I may live in a small town in Nebraska but I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. I think my survival skills would amaze even you lol.

As for holding grudges they just aren't my style. Life is hard enough without adding drama to your day.

Hugs,
    Cherity

FTMP,

Thank you so much for finding specific links related to Nebraska is there a certain search engine you used. I tried everything I could think of google, yahoo, doggy something or other. I'm sure once I get his to him later tonight he'll be robbing me of my computer once again.

C.

Originally posted by FTMPTB15

I'd be more than suprised if you went to a local 'Big City' department and the firefighters there showed no interest and didn't offer any help! Just be sure to go around mid-afternoon... or mid-morning... wouldn't want to interrupt meal time or movie time!! Our calls do that for us!!
    lol I would assume so. I can't help but wonder if we didn't get such a wonderful response from our own department because we went armed with pizza. Its a thought, thanks. About how many would you estimate it to take to feed a hungry crew?

Doc,

Since this forum runs on basically the same format as the one I administrate over I was able to edit my profile and as promised and sent a personal message to the moderator of this section apologizing for my poor communication skills and hasty judgement and requesting that the report be forgiven.

C.

Forum Member

lol I would assume so. I can't help but wonder if we didn't get such a wonderful response from our own department because we went armed with pizza. Its a thought, thanks. About how many would you estimate it to take to feed a hungry crew?
    Depends how many firefighters are on the crew! For a crew of 4 guys we'll typically get 2 large pizzas. It's always a good idea to come armed with some sort of food item (brownies, cookies, ice cream, etc. etc. chicken pies, caserole, full 5 course meals, ya get the point!).

As for where I found the info... I based it off of where we get our stuff from in NC. So I just looked up the Nebraska version! I used Google.. but really any search engine would work. Ya knida got to know what to look for, otherwise it might become a pain! Another good resource might be NFPA (www.nfpa.org), they set all the Standards for the fire service.. or IFSAC (www.ifsac.org) or IFSTA (www.ifsta.org).. both of those deal with training on a National level.

You'll find that many firefighters or EMTs started their career's young. If they didn't join and Jr. or Explorer (through BSA) Post, then they atleast hung around a station or had parents that worked at one. Me.. I started at 14 as a Jr. FF at my local FD. Moved to a 'Big(ger) City' and joined the fire department's Explorer Post until I turned 18. When I graduated HS, I went to a college which is where I am today! I'm working on my degree and remain active at a local fire deparment as a FF/EMT. I plan to get hired after I obtain my college degree.

Forum Member

First let me tell you how impressed I am...a medic at 17? I'm sure that was a lot of pressure, I was lucky if I could pick an outfit out without asking advice at 17. I hope he gets to interview someone who started as young as you did I think he'd get a kick out of it. I do think I need to clarify the college question though...to perform your job did you have to attend a four year college or as in nursing only a two year college? I really need to work on my communication skills.
    Cherity, I wasn't a medic at 17, I was an EMT. while you might not relize the difference (being that you aren't in EMS), many in the bussiness do (and some will argue that a medic isn't an EMT, but that's besides the point). A medic/paramedic/EMT-P is an advance life support provide, while an EMT is a basic life support provider. while they both perform the same function (get the sick/injured to the hospital), a medic can do much more than an EMT, and has more training.

in regards to college, most big city departments like to train you themselves. ie, you get hired, and you attend THEIR academy so you can learn THEIR way of doing things. Some of the smaller departments require you to have your training beforehand, but that usually isn't provided by a college or a university, but rather by specialized academies designed for the training of firefighters.

don't worry about the reporting thing. It happens, the WT is pretty good about discerning malicious posts and miscommunitcations.

oh, and since I'm not a medical doctor (unlike VFDdoc), please don't refer to me as Doc. It's only my nickname, so DrP would be perferred

FF/EMT/DBP

Ok a five course meal is out of the question lol but you do get an A for effort.

DrP. I will be more careful in the future to not mistake one title for another and promise never to refer to you as a medical doctor again *crosses heart*. I do hope that you understand I came into this thinking a fireman was someone who drove a really cool, loud truck really fast by my house at about the sametime I got the baby down to bed only recently did our neighbor point out that there are subtitles to the title firefighter and now there are subtitles I probably should remember to point out to my nephew were medical responders (please don't let that be offensive) are concerned as well.

Had our meeting and it was fun I will admit.

I do have one more question since the chances of us actually meeting a "smoke jumper" I believe Colton calls them are pretty remote here in Nebraska. You wouldn't happen to have any links to what their job entails and education needed would you? Yes I'm going to make him research it...Thanks C.

Thread Information