Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Need a ruling on this one please

Okay guys, please bear with me, I'm alittle ticked off right now, and I'm going to attempt to explain my anger, please help me sort this out in my own head.

I'm a member of national car club. We have this member who lived in North Carolina at the time of 9/11 . He was a vollie EMT down there. Amongst other things he has done in the past to aggrevate me, he speaks of 9/11 like he was their, to witness it all. He even went to great lengths to secure the custom license plate "9-11-NYC" . Now, during 9/11, i was still a probie in my vollie dept. up in orange county, a handful of us went down and assisted right after the attack. My fiance's father is a chauffeur down in Engine 3, and I had met a few of the guys from ladder 12 that were lost before the incident, at some parties and get-togethers. I would never try to brag or bost about it, but this guy seems to feel it necessary to brag about how he was emotionally wounded, when he was 100's of miles away!

The whole situation reminds me of that "Rescue Me" episode, when the LT went to read his poetry to the 9/11 group, and he found out that none of them were directly involved or directly affected by it.

Please dont take this out of context, and in no way do I tote around grouping myself when the brave firefighters of FDNY, but its almost like I get mad at this guy for doing it, even though I'm not part of the group, its like he's insulting the brothers from NYC. Does this seem right to anyone else?? Are the emotions I feel about the subject wrong and mis-guided??

Any advisement would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Lightbulb

Ignore him...he will go away.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The other guy seems to be compensating for something, be it real or imagined, justified or not. Conversely you seem to not need to compensate.

What the other guy is doing seems disrespectful, to be sure, but it may not be intentionally so (a la let's sell a bogus helmet on eBay).

Have you ever told him you were there? Perhaps this might open the conversation to a point where you can tell him to save the dramatics for those who participated and suffered in person. I would guess/hope that in the face of the real thing he would tone down the rhetoric and attempts to receive undeserved glory/sympathy. Maybe one day he might be able to understand how his behavior can be offensive, too. We have a whacker/buff around here who can't even get onto ANY department, who wears a leather vest covered with local department patches and LOTS of 9/11 patches, and I doubt he'll ever get it.

Oh well. Better they do that than write for the SacBee.

Just my off-the-cuff thoughts without thinking about it too hard.

Default Re: Need a ruling on this one please

Originally posted by firefightergtp

I would never try to brag or bost about it, but this guy seems to feel it necessary to brag about how he was emotionally wounded, when he was 100's of miles away!
    Maybe he'll try to sell his emotional scares on eBay. Stop your bitch'n and do what CaptainGonzo says,"ignore him"!

I understand where youíre coming from with this one. We had a kid come on last year, a full 2 years after the attack. His helmet is a memorial to all fallen firemen, W6 stickers Sept.11th stickers and 343 stickers adorn it. We dubbed him the official department mourner.
    ďJust when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better IdiotĒ

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...5&pagenumber=6

From that post, in Neman's own words

Your all just upset that this guy found "a diamond in the ruff". I am going to bid on it.
    Neman's latest post
    I understand where youíre coming from with this one. We had a kid come on last year, a full 2 years after the attack. His helmet is a memorial to all fallen firemen, W6 stickers Sept.11th stickers and 343 stickers adorn it. We dubbed him the official department mourner.
    Hmmmmmmmm

I guess that makes any other jake with a W6 and FDNY 343 stickers on their lids "professional mourners"... better put me on that short list. Anyone else?

Oh yeah, most of my FD....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

His helmet is a memorial to all fallen firemen, W6 stickers Sept.11th stickers and 343 stickers adorn it. We dubbed him the official department mourner.
    I have a W6 sticker, and I have a September 11th rememberance sticker. My helmet's September 11th sticker, was given to me by a FDNY member from the quarters of Engine 54 and Truck 4.

Let's start calling them professional mourners too.

better put me on that short list. Anyone else?
    I'm with you Cap'n..Except I don't think that this list is going to be too short.

PS: Neman, I'm going to be adding another small sticker to my helmet. In rememberance of a great man by the name of Ray Davison, a Vermont firefighter.

Guess I'm just another "professional mourner".

Default Count me in.

I had a Maltese made up for the side of the Engine at my station. I just wish I could get the size correct to post.(it's my avatar, but like you can really see that!

Call me what you want. That was the very least I could do.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Anyone else?
    W6 and 9/11 patch progect helmet sticker.

I guess I am a professional mourner too.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Me too, I've got a small 9/11 sticker on the back of my helmet.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

uh oh. I'm even worse. I have a 9/11 sticker on my helmet, and a 9/11 Fire patch on my FD jobshirt, and a 9/11 EMS patch on my EMS jobshirt. does that make me a whacker mourner?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I am not sure if it is necessary, but I think we should draw some distinctions between ...

(a) Those who quietly recognize and mourn for the brothers lost (helmet stickers and the like). This is a mourner.

(b) Those who loudly go out of their way to call attention to how much they are "mourning", particularly if they act like they were a part of it when they weren't, seeking honor and glory and sympathy. This is a "professional" mourner.

The character I called out in my post irritates me because I cannot discard the distinct impression we all locally seem to have that he wears the patches not to show mourning, but to look important (a common whacker trait). That is disrespectful and deplorable.

There is a distinct difference between mourning and using mourning symbols to call attention to yourself.

DO YOU LIKE FIG NEWTONS?

Originally posted by RLFD14
    I am not sure if it is necessary, but I think we should draw some distinctions between ...

(a) Those who quietly recognize and mourn for the brothers lost (helmet stickers and the like). This is a mourner.

(b) Those who loudly go out of their way to call attention to how much they are "mourning", particularly if they act like they were a part of it when they weren't, seeking honor and glory and sympathy. This is a "professional" mourner.

The character I called out in my post irritates me because I cannot discard the distinct impression we all locally seem to have that he wears the patches not to show mourning, but to look important (a common whacker trait). That is disrespectful and deplorable.

There is a distinct difference between mourning and using mourning symbols to call attention to yourself.
    Good Post!
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Thank you gentlemen, I have calmed down a bit, but this guy still gets on my nerves!! I'm going to ignore it, hopefully he will disappear

Thank you again

RLFD 14,
    Made my point better then I did. My point was if your were not on the job you donít get the honor of the stickers. I was in the Centrum for the W6 Memorial, and did my fair share of trips up and down I-87 the months after the towers fell. I was at the memorial at ground zero on SEPT 11th 2002. My post about the EBAY helmet was sarcastic not to be meant for anything else. Iíll bet that I had more time driving to these funerals in hours then some of these Professional Mourners had on the job before they decorated there helmets in the memories of these fine men.
    ďJust when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better IdiotĒ

Originally posted by Neman13
    RLFD 14,
    Made my point better then I did. My point was if your were not on the job you donít get the honor of the stickers. I was in the Centrum for the W6 Memorial, and did my fair share of trips up and down I-87 the months after the towers fell. I was at the memorial at ground zero on SEPT 11th 2002. My post about the EBAY helmet was sarcastic not to be meant for anything else. Iíll bet that I had more time driving to these funerals in hours then some of these Professional Mourners had on the job before they decorated there helmets in the memories of these fine men.
    I too was in the Centrum on December 9th 1999 and at the FDNY memorial on September 11 2002, marching in the rain.

Who gives a fat rat's rumps if a noob has the stickers on their lid? To me, it's honoring the past and remembering the sacrifices of our brothers and sisters who went before us.

in reference to the WTC helmet post... Brother, your sarcasm would have made more impact if you put the in the post. There are many "whackers" out there who would have bought it in a heartbeat without knowing the truth!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Ok, this is the picture that spearsm was talking about in his post, I think that it looks really good! Hope you didn't mind my posting it for you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by arhaney; 03-24-2005 at 10:43 PM.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Thumbs up

THANK YOU! arhaney! I wouldn't mind if EVERY single piece of apparatus, full time or voly in the entire country had this piece of art on it!!! NEVER FORGET! IT'S THAT IMPORTANT!

Originally posted by RESERVE172
    THANK YOU! arhaney! I wouldn't mind if EVERY single piece of apparatus, full time or voly in the entire country had this piece of art on it!!! NEVER FORGET! IT'S THAT IMPORTANT!

I can't take credit for that at all. spearsm e-mailed that picture to me. It is on one of his trucks in Lowndes County, Mississippi.

I thought it was such a nice shot that it needed to be shared with everyone. Thanks to you, Mark!
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Thread Information