Forum Member

Default multi question truck modification question

I will be recieving a used 1998 F-250 in about a month.
    I will be putting an aux. fuel tank in.
    I had some trouble finding an idea where to mount the pump switch and and gauge. The solution that I have come up with is to mount in a homemade switch box between the visors on the roof with 3 switches and 2 gauges. The first switch is the aux.pump on/off switch, the gauges will be the main tank and aux tank gauge, and the next 2 switches are cut-off / master switches for the main and aux fuel pump.

The questions that I have are as follows:

1. Are there any fuel gauges that have 2 needles in them so you can attach 2 sending units and monitor 2 tanks from the same gauge?

2. For having a second gauge to measure the main tank, is it possible to splice wiring into the main tanks sending unit to attach to the other gauge?

3. Do they sell any kits so you can wire in red/green switch on/off lights (for mounting above and below the switch) either led or small panel light?

4. Also is it possible to wire a float into the main tank that can be wired as a cut-off switch for the aux. fuel pump. SO when your main is full, the aux cant pump into the main. Something that is a kit or can be "homemade".

I know some of this sounds crazy.
    I decided to place both main and aux gauges next to each other so I can see both of them at same time. Less looking back and forth.

any and all input would be appreciated.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Look at it This Way.........................

Have you thought of connecting the two tanks directly to each other, with a 1/2 to 3/4 line? A line that size would give you enough flow that the volume in the tanks would remain balanced all the time, and the current Factory Gauge on the truck would give a good reading on both tanks, all the time.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Look at it This Way.........................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Have you thought of connecting the two tanks directly to each other, with a 1/2 to 3/4 line? A line that size would give you enough flow that the volume in the tanks would remain balanced all the time, and the current Factory Gauge on the truck would give a good reading on both tanks, all the time.
    Depending on where Cap'n is, this won't pass inspection. The evaporative controls are only designed for the stock size fuel tank. I'd check around on some RV or trailer forums and see how they run things.

Andy

Forum Member

I had a friend that did that. He was out at his farm and parked it on a hill. Everything drained from the main tank (main tank was low to begin with) to the aux (aux was emtpy) He placed the pipe between the tanks too low.

I am not joining the tanks. Just going to pump fuel into the main from the aux. when needed.

Another crazy idea that I had. I have a fairly new but used warn winch. It was given to me by a friend who had it on his chevy1500.
    I was thinking, I could fabricate a front bumper similar to the bumpers on the new rescues. With a winch box, rope storage box, tow rigns welded to frame via frame extension. And boxes on both sides for tow chains and rope.

Just another one of my crazy ideas.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Thread Information