Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Largo Fla--Department in turmoil--Chief Fires 2 top aids

St. Petersburg Times

Fire chief dismisses 2 of his managers
    The new chief and the city manager say performance was an issue with the veterans, who had good reviews. The union says changes were expected.
    By SHANNON TAN
    Published March 22, 2005

--------------------------

LARGO - Two weeks after taking over as Largo's new fire chief, Jeff Bullock fired two top veteran officials, saying he's trying to "build a unified team."

David King, a division chief since 1996, was hired by Largo Fire Rescue in 1978. David Morrin, a district chief in charge of emergency management and special operations, had been with the department since 1980.

"I've been there 27 years, I've had excellent evaluations and an excellent record," King said Monday. "I'm in shock and I've done nothing wrong."

King said that after Bullock fired him Thursday, he was told to leave immediately through the back door. King took several pictures of his family and was given a ride home by the deputy police chief.

"It's humiliating to me to be terminated this way after 23 years of dedicated service," said Morrin, who was also asked to leave through the back door.

Bullock refused to say what had triggered the firings, which were done before a restructuring that will be presented to the City Commission April 5.

"There have been discussions with these employees on work performance issues," said Bullock, who fired them on Thursday.

He declined to give details. "I won't talk about personnel issues," he said. "I'm not going to discuss what they did or did not do."

A review of both men's personnel files for the past five years found no reprimands or disciplinary actions. King earned $75,108 while Morrin made $68,635.

Bullock's most recent evaluation of King showed that he met or exceeded expectations in all areas. And Bullock wrote in Morrin's evaluation last year that "his willingness to meet the organization's needs is an example of loyalty and support for all employees to follow."

City Manager Steven Stanton said he directed Bullock to create a management team that would respond to public safety needs in a post-Sept. 11 environment.

"The Fire Department right now is a very good department," Stanton said. "Just being good is not good enough anymore."

The firings are related to the department's performance, Stanton said. "(Bullock) needs to have a command group that can get the department to the next level."

"I was told that our management styles differ and I couldn't agree more," Morrin said.

Largo Fire Rescue is now left with two division chiefs and four district chiefs. Bullock would not say whether the two vacan t positions would be filled and said that could be part of the upcoming reorganization.

After the firings, Bullock and his command staff visited the fire stations over the weekend to answer questions.

"It is frightening," Bullock said. "This doesn't happen every day."

He also issued a memo to the department. "I have been evaluating the department in its entirety, from its operational procedures, to emergency deployment objectives, to the effectiveness and proficiency of the line and command staff," he wrote.

Union president Wayne Stokke said firefighters weren't too surprised by the terminations.

"For the most part, some changes were expected," he said.

King and Morrin were given 30-day severance agreements to bridge the period before their pension benefits kick in, Stanton said. Neither man was a member of the firefighters' union.

Other changes have taken place since Bullock took the reins March 1.

The department's only deputy chief, Tom Tarulli, retired March 15. The new deputy chief will need to focus on emergency management, Bullock said. Bullock, a division chief and a district chief will select the new deputy chief internally.

--Shannon Tan can be reached at shtan@sptimes.com or 445-4174.

[Last modified March 22, 2005, 01:21:16]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Century of fire wisdom out door
    Five firefighting veterans have left Largo in the past three weeks. Now new chief Jeff Bullock must lead the department through the departures amid high expectations.
    By SHANNON TAN
    Published March 27, 2005

---------------------------------

LARGO - In the past three weeks, Largo has lost five veterans with more than 120 years of combined firefighting experience.

Chief E. Caroll Williams, a 35-year veteran, retired. Division Chief Frank DeFrancesco took his 21 years of experience with Largo to Hernando County Fire Rescue. Then Deputy Chief Tom Tarulli retired after 23 years.

On March 17, the new chief, Jeff Bullock, fired District Chief David Morrin and Division Chief David King. The two had 50 years of experience between them.

That leaves the department with three district chiefs, two division chiefs and no deputy chief. Command staff levels have now been reduced to where they were in 1992.

The changes place the spotlight squarely on Bullock, who must lead the department through the departures, replenish its command staff and meet the goals set by City Manager Steven Stanton, who expects the dramatic changes to result in a better department.

Bullock, 43, a former union president with a business background, is not your typical fire chief. He patented a ventilation system used by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to cool football players on a bench. He advanced through the department much more quickly than his peers. And he has a personal friendship with Stanton - they're running buddies.

Two years ago, Bullock was a lieutenant. He leapfrogged two ranks to a newly created deputy chief position in March 2003. Last year, Stanton scrapped a national search and appointed Bullock as fire chief.

"This was time for profound change," Stanton said. "This department is extremely good. How do we get from good to best?"

Fire departments become institutionalized in their thinking, he said. It was time to change the way its players think. "Chief Bullock is going to put expectations on people they never saw before," Stanton said.

Bullock plans to run the department like a business. The product is the service firefighters provide to residents, he said, and it has to be delivered as efficiently as possible.

He put union president Wayne Stokke on his decisionmaking team so he won't have to fight the firefighters union. He wants to establish a "co-op" structure so firefighters trust each other and aren't competing for the next promotion. He's unveiling his reorganization plan April 5 at a City Commission meeting.

"I know my weaknesses," Bullock says, "and I surround myself with people who have those strengths."

Stanton recalls that when community development director Ric Goss left in 2002, the deputy director and city planners soon followed. The management team had to be rebuilt, he said, and the department has since vastly improved.

Mayor Bob Jackson, however, doesn't want the same scenario to play out at Largo Fire Rescue.

"That's an awful lot of talent to lose within a month's time," he said. "It's hard to believe the department is not going to be hurting."

Williams declined to comment on the recent departures, but said the firefighters will still provide a high level of service.

Since 1982, new fire chiefs have always inherited an existing management team, said former Division Chief Mike Wallace. Bullock is the exception.

"You lose institutional knowledge, but what you gain is a fresh set of eyes," Wallace said. "It's a two-edge sword."

Wallace himself left Largo Fire Rescue about 14 months ago to become Seminole's assistant fire chief, after Bullock was promoted from lieutenant to deputy chief.

"As much as I didn't want to leave an 18-year home," he said, "I did see that my promotion opportunities were somewhat limited."

Others also saw the writing on the wall.

A personality conflict with Bullock meant that DeFrancesco knew his career wasn't going anywhere in Largo. He starts his new job as a captain at Hernando County Fire Rescue and commander of the county Hazmat team Monday.

"Every other month, it seemed like he was trying to get me demoted or fired," DeFrancesco said. "His motto was, "Intimidation is a great motivator.' "

The changes in the past few months have created much turmoil within the department, he said. "The guys on the street are scared and confused and upset."

The controversy surrounding Bullock began two years ago when Williams made the unpopular decision to promote him to deputy chief, bypassing senior district and division chiefs.

When Stanton picked Bullock for fire chief over Tarulli, some were surprised. Unlike Tarulli, who graduated from Eckerd College, Bullock does not have a degree or relevant experience.

According to the job description, Largo's fire chief should have a bachelor's in fire administration or public administration and five years' experience as chief of a multistation fire department, or five years as deputy chief with another five years supervising a rescue operation. Or, "an equivalent combination of training and experience."

Tarulli was a deputy chief since 1997. Bullock had been deputy for only two years.

"I'm very educated," Bullock said. "I just don't have a degree."

He points to his management experience building and running a business. He credits himself with a salesman's ability to sell his ideas - and his vision for the fire department.

Former union president Tim Baker says he sees positive changes in the works.

For example, Bullock is trying to get mobile data computers in fire equipment, which would provide access to building layouts and fire hydrant locations.

"I'm on board, and for the most part, everybody else is," Baker said. "Let's give this new chief the opportunity to accomplish what he wants to accomplish."

Shannon Tan can be reached at shtan@sptimes.com or 445-4174.

[Last modified March 27, 2005, 00:34:19]
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default A promotion

Fire division chief promoted
    By Times Staff Writer
    Published March 31, 2005

LARGO - Fire Chief Jeff Bullock announced the promotion of Division Chief Karry Bell to deputy chief, effective April 10.

Hired as a firefighter in 1979, Bell was promoted to lieutenant in 1997 and became division chief last year. Bell has an associate degree in emergency medical services from St. Petersburg College and a bachelor's degree in nursing from the University of South Florida. The deputy chief position became vacant this month after Tom Tarulli retired.

[Last modified March 31, 2005, 01:28:16]
    BMI Investigator

ST. Petersburg Times

Fire chief's plan shuffles responsibilities
    The reorganization would deal with reduced command and staff levels that match those of 1992.
    By SHANNON TAN
    Published April 2, 2005

-----------------

LARGO - Two weeks after dismissing two top veteran officials, Largo fire Chief Jeff Bullock unveiled his new organizational structure.

Since Bullock took over as Largo's fire chief March 1, two veterans have retired, two others were terminated and one was promoted, leaving the department with three district chiefs, one division chief and one deputy chief. Command staff levels have now been reduced to 1992 levels.

Bullock came up with a new management structure to handle those changes.

The proposal calls for the elimination of two district chief positions and the addition of a division chief and a logistics manager who would be responsible for the department's $14-million budget.

The management team would be divided into four core functions: emergency services, which includes firefighting and training; life safety; emergency management; and logistics.

Bullock said his goal is to streamline communications and give employees more ownership in the department. His plan will be submitted Tuesday to the City Commission for approval.

City Manager Steven Stanton, who had instructed Bullock to create a management team that could respond to needs in a post-Sept. 11 environment, expressed his support for the chief's proposed restructuring in a memo to commissioners that was released Friday.

Bullock says if the commission approves his proposal, he would then post the internal positions for logistics manager and three division chiefs. He discussed the restructuring with his administration staff Friday.

He said he told them, "Let's try this, see how it works." The new structure will be evaluated periodically, he said. "They like what they see."

Former Division Chief David King, who was terminated along with David Morrin, a district chief, said past reorganizations were much more sophisticated.

"All they've done is taken the job responsibilities and shuffled them," King said. "With so many closed-door sessions and secret meetings, I'm shocked that it's as simple as it is."

Under Bullock's proposed restructuring, King says his former duties - logistics, hiring, recruiting and internal affairs - will be spread out among several positions.

"I believe the plan was in the making a long time ago about people's destinies," said King, who picked up his last paycheck Friday. "Some made their own decisions. Others didn't have a choice."

Bullock, however, said the two dismissals were unrelated to the reorganization.

Controversy first surrounded Bullock, 43, two years ago when then Chief E. Caroll Williams promoted him from lieutenant to deputy chief, bypassing senior district and division chiefs.

Last year, Stanton scrapped a national search and appointed Bullock as fire chief, over Deputy Chief Tom Tarulli.

"We're two different leaderships," Tarulli said. "(Bullock) wouldn't like my leadership and I certainly don't like his. . . . I don't like the pushiness, I don't like the intimidation."

Tarulli, who said he spent the past 12 years trying to become the next fire chief, retired and moved to Nevada last month. He says he wishes Bullock well, but did not want to be part of a department that was headed in a direction he disagreed with.

"I feel he (Stanton) chose friendship over education and experience," said Tarulli, who earned a bachelor's degree in business management from Eckerd College in 1999.

Shannon Tan can be reached at shtan@sptimes.com or 445-4174.

[Last modified April 2, 2005, 01:02:17]
    BMI Investigator

Commission shouldn't be charter editors
    Letters to the Editor
    Published April 4, 2005

--------------------------------

Re: Largo should let citizens review the city's charter, editorial, March 30.

Kudos to the St. Petersburg Times on the very accurate editorial, but as Paul Harvey would say, "And now, the rest of the story."

The hubris of our elected Largo City Commission is mind numbing. Stop and consider that the commission has decided to be the ultimate arbitrator and editors of the charter.

This would be the same commission, for the most part, that brought us the now budget-breaking library (told you so), the library it categorically refused to let us vote on, the same library that when the public was allowed to voice its opinion the commission would not extend the residents' comment time nor would it go along with the motion, presented by then-commissioner Marty Shelby, to "let the people speak."

We have two commissioners in the charter-rewriting department who have violated the existing document itself, yet this same commission has taken no corrective measures addressing these violations.

These same charter rewriters, according to an earlier story by Times staff writer Shannon Tan (Century of fire wisdom out door, March 27), went along with the appointment of the new fire chief despite the fact, and I'm quoting Ms. Tan, "According to the job description, Largo's fire chief should have a bachelor's (degree) in fire administration or public administration and five years' experience as chief of a multistation fire department, or five years as deputy chief with another five years supervising a rescue operation ... or an equivalent combination (thereof)." Chief Jeff Bullock had been deputy for only two years with no college degree. Don't get me wrong; I'm not implying that Chief Bullock is not qualified. I'm merely pointing out that our elected city leaders appear to pick and choose to enforce the sections of the charter that serve their purposes.

The Times is absolutely correct that we, the residents and taxpayers of Largo, should be the charter rewriters, not a City Commission that can't seem to enforce its own rules.
    BMI Investigator

I deleted the majority of the article and just kept in the part about the Fire Department. If you do a search....back in 2003/04 a Female Largo Lt was fired (unjustafiably so....in my opinion) over the first part of this article.... This place has issues!

St. Petersburg Times

Largo deletes part of vision statement
    The diversity section no longer mentions race, gender, age and sexual orientation, among other things.
    By LORRI HELFAND, Times Staff Writer
    Published April 6, 2005
    ---------------------

LARGO - The City Commission approved a new mission statement 5-1 after the staff removed language that asked employees to value differences in sexual orientation and gender identity.

The commission postponed its decision on reorganizing the fire department after Black said she thought an ordinance might be necessary to amend staffing in the fire department.

Gentry suggested that members of the commission who have questions about procedural rules should bring them to the attention of staff before the meeting.

For two and a half hours during the meeting, Tina King, the wife of former Largo fire division Chief David King, sat in the front row clutching a picture of her children in silent protest. Her husband, a 27-year veteran of the department, was fired from the department two weeks ago. At the time, Fire Chief Jeff Bullock said there had been discussions about work performance but did not offer details.
    Last edited by captstanm1; 05-01-2005 at 03:03 PM.
    BMI Investigator

Default This place is messed up

St. Petersburg Times

Mutual respect tempers opposing views
    Mayor Bob Jackson and City Manager Steve Stanton don't hide their philosophical differences but say they're satisfied with the other's work.
    By LORRI HELFAND, Times Staff Writer
    Published April 11, 2005

--------------------------
    LARGO - Days before the city meeting, Mayor Bob Jackson rifled through Largo's new mission, vision and values statement.

Honing in on the values section, he circled various words and passages that stressed integrity and empathy.

Lately, he felt city management hadn't lived up to those ideals, especially when it came to the recent terminations of two veteran firefighters and the firing of a 30-year public works employee after he chose to stay with his mother during Hurricane Charley instead of going to work.

When Jackson entered the commission chambers for Tuesday's meeting, he wasn't sure if he would support the mission statement or not.

But the woman sitting in the front row, sobbing and clutching a framed photo of her three children convinced him.

He had to vote against it.

The woman was Tina King, wife of Largo Fire Rescue division chief David King, one of the firefighters terminated after 27 years of service. Wearing a black dress to symbolize her grief, she angled the photo toward the dais. She wanted to show city officials that her husband's abrupt firing also hurt 14-year-old Alyssa, 12-year-old Chelsea and 4-year-old Ryan.

Jackson got her point.

"The essence of the no vote is: What we say we value and what we have valued by our actions are not consistent," Jackson said.

City Manager Steve Stanton, who knows the King family socially, said he had to put the interests of the city as an organization before personal feelings.

Personnel files for the past five years for King and David Morrin, a district chief who was also fired, show no reprimands or disciplinary actions. But Stanton said the terminations had more to do with management philosophy. The new fire chief, Jeff Bullock, needed to have senior staff whose vision was compatible with his.

In the case of James Gesicki, the spray technician who was fired during hurricane season, Stanton said he was not reliable.

"When that guy didn't show up at the time when the community most needed him, that person didn't have the commitment to public service," Stanton said.

But Jackson said it's disingenuous for the city to have a mission, vision and values statement that doesn't jibe with its actions.

"The whole thing is a package deal about how we were going to interact and deal with people," Jackson said.

Jackson said the ramifications stretch far beyond the families of the long-term employees who were shown the door.

The terminations hurt staff morale and tarnish Largo's reputation, he said.

Stanton insisted that morale has not been affected.

Jackson remembers the flood of calls and e-mails he received after Gesicki's firing and he still has an article on Gesicki that appeared in the AARP Bulletin.

"It sends an awful message to the rest of the employees," Jackson said.

Stanton admits the two don't see eye to eye on this and other issues.

"To say that Mr. Jackson and I see the world in very dissimilar ways might be an understatement. He and I have a very different philosophy of management and style of leadership," Stanton said.

The men have a history of friction on certain issues.

In December, Jackson voted against a 3 percent raise for Stanton even though he knew the commission would support the increase to send a message to Stanton about what he considered excessive spending habits and poor judgment in firing Gesicki.

They've also been at odds about how the strategic plan should be applied.

The discord has become so frustrating that Stanton said he plans to invite an educator to discuss the functions of the city manager and the mayor.

Jackson, a member of the City Commission for three decades, said he can't see why.

"I don't think it's necessary. I've been there for 30 years; if I don't know my role by now it's too late to learn," he said.

He said he hopes other commissioners have the same concerns about such issues.

Commissioner Mary Black said she doesn't want to tell the city manager how to deal with personnel, but she said she might have had a few things to say about the firings if she had been asked.

"I personally would not have found it necessary to fire the employee during the hurricane who was attending to his mother," she said.

And she added that she was concerned that firefighters were asked to leave through the back door.

She also said she would be willing to talk about city policy relating to these issues.

"Any time the mayor would want to place that on the agenda, I would be glad to discuss it," she said.

Commissioner Andy Guyette agrees with Stanton's decisions on Gesicki and the firefighters.

"'They all report to Steve Stanton and that's his job and he knows better than anybody what needs to be done," Guyette said.

Despite their philosophical differences, both Jackson and Stanton said they're satisfied with the job the other is doing.

Jackson said he doesn't want a new city manager. He just wants Stanton to change and be more empathetic.

And Stanton said his respect for Jackson hasn't wavered.

"I can't think of a mayor in Pinellas that I would want to work for other than Bob Jackson," he said.

--Lorri Helfand can be reached at 445-4155 or at lorri@sptimes.com

[Last modified April 11, 2005, 01:18:07]
    Last edited by captstanm1; 05-01-2005 at 03:04 PM.
    BMI Investigator

He says that moral hasnt been affected. BS. He needs to talk with the line firefighters. From what I hear, moral cant get any lower.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thumbs down Letter to editor says it

Progress trumps experience at Fire Department
    Letters to the Editor
    Published April 27, 2005

New Largo fire Chief Jeff Bullock received a promotion from City Manager Steve Stanton even though he does not have the proper qualifications, and Stanton himself just got a raise. Progress for whom?

Meanwhile, a 27-year veteran with excellent evaluations and an excellent employment record sits home with no job, a wife and three children to support. The citizens of Largo should be outraged!

Division Chief David King (27 years) and district Chief David Morrin (23 years) were fired and shuffled out the back door without a fair shot at being a part of the "restructuring" that's going on in the Fire Department. There was no pornography or sexual misdeeds, as there were in other cases of terminations in the tricounty area. There is no misconduct on either one of their records. Stanton said he directed Bullock to create a management team that would "respond to public safety needs in a post-Sept. 11 environment." What better men to do the job than the men who were actually in the department on Sept. 11?

How about last hurricane season? The Fire Department's emergency hurricane plans were put into action and followed to the letter through four hurricanes. Doesn't that count for something? Isn't that progress?

What about the 120 years of combined firefighting experience that has left since March 1, 2005? When there is an emergency, I want someone who is experienced to rely on.

Yes, I want progress too, but at what cost? The cost of safety? Come on! Mayor Bob Jackson, there needs to be an inquiry into these firings, because no matter what the circumstances, it is not right to terminate two exceptional employees with their years of service and dedication to this city for absolutely no reason and without warning.

-- Shelley Eberle, Largo
    BMI Investigator

St. petersburg Times

Briefs
    Two city firefighters named division chiefs
    By Times Staff Writer
    Published April 30, 2005

LARGO - Largo fire Chief Jeff Bullock has promoted two lieutenants to division chiefs.

Gary A. Hixson started with Largo Fire Rescue in 1987. Richard D. Cody Jr., who was recently recognized as Firefighter of the Year, has been with the department for 25 years and was a district chief for two years before asking to be reassigned to his previous rank as a lieutenant.
    BMI Investigator

St. Petersburg Times

Briefs
    3 firefighters become lieutenants
    By Times Staff Writer
    Published May 21, 2005

LARGO - Largo Fire Rescue Chief Jeff Bullock promoted three firefighters to lieutenants this week.

Jeremiah McAuliffe has been with the department for 11 years and has eight years of experience as a flight medic with Bayflite Aeromedical Transport. Bill Scott, a 10-year veteran, is a member of the hazmat team and holds an associate of science degree in fire science from St. Petersburg Junior College. Chris McDonald joined the department nine years ago, has an associate of arts degree and an associate of science in fire science, and is working toward a bachelor's in fire and emergency service management from the University of Florida.

[Last modified May 21, 2005, 01:03:
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information