Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Spring Hill--Firefighter resigns to avoid dismissal

Facing termination, firefighter resigns
    He is accused of attacking a bar owner and refusing to testify in any Spring Hill Fire Rescue inquiry or administrative hearing.
    By MARY SPICUZZA
    Published March 25, 2005

---------------------------------

SPRING HILL - Fire commissioners unanimously accepted the resignation of Theodore Leo, the firefighter who was involved in an attack on a sports lounge owner in August, Wednesday.

Fire Chief J.J. Morrison last week sent Leo a letter detailing several reasons he planned to recommend Leo's termination to the board.

It said Leo had refused to give testimony in any department-related investigation or administrative hearing and had engaged in immoral or improper conduct which could affect "trust or goodwill in the community."

"More importantly, I feel that leaving an individual with potentially life-threatening injuries without rendering aid or even calling for help goes against the core of our department's mission," Morrison's letter states.

Leo submitted his letter of resignation before the Wednesday meeting.

The attack occurred in late August after a disturbance at Legends Pub and Grill in Spring Hill.

The trouble started when pub co-owner Dave Hubbard II confronted several men about a disturbance they were causing at Legends, 4245 Mariner Blvd., sheriff's reports said.

Three men remained at the bar until closing time, when authorities say they followed Hubbard to his Spring Hill home.

In his driveway, they attacked him in front of his wife and children, authorities said. The men allegedly jumped out of their vehicle, threatened Hubbard and began hitting and kicking him as he fell to the ground, authorities said.

Hubbard suffered multiple injuries in the attack and is still recovering.

Police later arrested Marcus Fields, Timothy Leo and Theodore Leo, who was then a firefighter-paramedic with Spring Hill Fire Rescue.

In his resignation letter, Theodore Leo said he regretted leaving the department.

"This is not something I want to do and is extremely hard for me to do," Leo's letter states. "Please know I loved every minute of working within this fine department, it was a great high point in my life."

Theodore Leo, who has been suspended without pay since his arrest, joined the department in May 1997.

Commissioners discussed termination but ultimately decided to accept his resignation.

Morrison said he could not discuss any possibility that Leo would be rehired.

"Mr. Leo, unfortunately for him, has a long legal battle in front of him," Morrison told the board.

Theodore Leo could not be reached for comment.

Timothy and Theodore Leo are scheduled to appear for a pretrial hearing on April 14.

Fields is expected to appear in court for a pretrial hearing on April 15.

Mary Spicuzza can be reached at mspicuzza@sptimes.com or 352 848-1432
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Brothers sentenced for role in beating
    The two pleaded guilty in an attack on the owner of Legends Pub and Grill in Spring Hill. A third man faces a pretrial hearing today.
    By DUANE BOURNE, Times Staff Writer
    Published April 15, 2005

----------------------

BROOKSVILLE - With their trial set to begin Monday, two Spring Hill men pleaded guilty Thursday to charges in the attack of the owner of a popular sports lounge.

Brothers Timothy Leo and Theodore Leo, a former Spring Hill Fire Rescue firefighter/paramedic, were sentenced to 52 consecutive weekends in jail and four years of probation.

With the approval of Dave Hubbard II, co-owner of Legends Pub and Grill in Spring Hill, the Leo brothers withdrew their previous pleas of not guilty on aggravated battery charges and were found guilty on reduced charges of felony battery.

The Leos and a third man, Marcus Fields, were charged in the Aug. 20 attack of Hubbard in front of his home.

Fields, 28, is scheduled to appear for a pretrial hearing today. In addition to aggravated battery charges, he faces one count of criminal mischief for allegedly urinating in an interview room at the Sheriff's Office.

Under the terms of their probation, Timothy Leo, 27, and Theodore Leo, 30, who resigned from his Spring Hill Fire Rescue job last month, will serve weekends at the Hernando County Jail.

Assistant State Attorney Donald Barbee Jr. said their probation could be terminated as early as the second year if they successfully complete the requirements and make $200,000 in restitution to Hubbard.

Thursday's hearing resolves a case that began when Hubbard confronted the three men about a disturbance they were causing at Legends, 4245 Mariner Blvd.

According to sheriff's reports, the men waited until the pub closed that night and followed Hubbard to his home in Lake in the Woods, west of U.S. 19.

There, authorities said, the trio threatened Hubbard in front of his wife and children and began a brutal attack that left Hubbard seriously injured. Hubbard was flown to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, and is still recovering from the injuries he sustained.

On Thursday, Hubbard walked into Circuit Judge Jack Springstead's courtroom with the assistance of crutches, but chose not to speak during the hearing.

He could not be reached later for comment.

-- Duane Bourne can be reached at 352 754-6114 or dbourne@sptimes.com

[Last modified April 15, 2005, 00:49:17]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information