Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pipes And Drums

Thumbs up Pipes And Drums

Hey, ALL. I thought I would pass this site along for anyone interested in bagpipes. I love Massed Bands. Has anyone been to this tattoo in Scotland? The closest I've been was Loon Mountain,N.H. and Hunter Mountain N.Y. BTW- I think Edinburgh is pronounced "Edinburra".

ENJOY and TURN UP YOUR VOLUME!!!

www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk
    Last edited by RESERVE172; 03-25-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for the link.I've never been to Scotland for this
    event.I'm sure it would be a wonderful event to witness.I
    have a friend who has visited this event and others in Scotland.
    Thanks again for posting this.

Banned

I have been to the tattoo many times, It is one of the best events there is if you like that kind of thing. I served with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards when i was in the military, which has the finest pipes and drums in the world. A little useless information but they made it to #1 in the music charts of 1971 with amazing grace.
    Edinburgh castle is also the regimental HeadQuaters for the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. I left the regiment in '98 and moved to the U.S
    but i still have fond memories and still proud to have served with these guys
    here is a link

www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk/tattoo-experience/scottish_regiments1.html

WOW....
    That looks like an event Ill have to visit some year. Im taking lessons now to learn the pipes and it is so much fun. My tutor is AWSOME! and so are my class mates, and the band that Im joining is a blast to hang out with. I just did the 2 week lead into St. Patricks Day and all its dinners and dances and pub crawls (and yes they were crawls). Im having such a great time with it.
    That event looks like it would be a blast to get a group together and go to.
    Rath De Ort

RSM

Originally posted by pengman
    I have been to the tattoo many times, It is one of the best events there is if you like that kind of thing. I served with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards when i was in the military, which has the finest pipes and drums in the world. A little useless information but they made it to #1 in the music charts of 1971 with amazing grace.
    Edinburgh castle is also the regimental HeadQuaters for the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. I left the regiment in '98 and moved to the U.S
    but i still have fond memories and still proud to have served with these guys
    pengman-- any thoughts about going back to watch and enjoying this event from the stands instead of participating in it? This is the ultimate place in the world to have this premier event. There is nothing like listening to the pipes with a "great wall of drones" from a band like the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. I hope someday I can afford to go!------"BY THE CENTER,QUICK,MARCH!!!"

Banned

I would love to go back and watch it from the stands but as I am in college and working full time it would be hard to find the time.
    It would be good if there where some events like the tattoo in the U.S then i could watch some of america's finest.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Originally posted by pengman
    It would be good if there where some events like the tattoo in the U.S then i could watch some of america's finest.
    There is. There is a tattoo in Norfolk, Virginia April 22, 23, and 24. Virginia Military Tattoo
    Last edited by Steamer; 04-08-2005 at 12:24 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Banned

Steamer, thanks for the link I never knew a military tattoo existed here in the U.S the entry cost also looks reasonable. I will have to try and see it this year if i can get time off work.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

I'm going to try to go this year as well, but issues here may prevent it once again. This time of year is pretty busy for me for some reason.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Default I know wthis is an older Post..

I've never been to Scotland , I would remind those of you whom might be interested, that West Point, Toronto, Halifax, Bermuda are close and have annual tattoo's as well.. I played in Bermuda back in 1997 It was awesome fun for a small event 3 pipes bands 3 military bands, a nice "indian summer"
    during November, the worst part was flying back in to NYC with snow on the ground..
    I would also suggest aside from highland games nationally such as Hunter and loon mtns there are many other large shows In North America, I would also suggest Colorado Springs (The Iaff memorial) or Emmittsburg for the NFFF or CFFF in Canada.... We have over 100 Fire service Pipe bands and while may not all be world class groups Yet, we should try to support our brother and sister Firefighters and the pipe and drums groupstheyhave worked so hard to make happen...............Jim
    Last edited by SMOKEnPipes; 08-07-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Thread Information