Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb What should Junior members be able to do?

I was wanting to get an opinion from others bout my thought. Do you think juniors should be able to do? and should they be able to do more? We have two juniors (used to have three til one got suspended...lol), but the other two love what they do and respect the firefighters and emts. We have one junior who is there almost everyday after school and commits himself to learning bout the job and improving himself so he can be a great firefighter/emt. HE EVEN BEATS ALL OF US TO THE ENGINE..WITH ALL HIS PPE ON!!!LOL. I belive we are pretty much making them do our dirty work, when actually they could be true firefighters and emts! (just not do the really dangerous things we do) Our juniors arent allowed on the ambulances and i understand cause of HIPPA rules, but the two we got, I trust that they have enough morals to keep quiet bout what they see and do. Please respond ASAP bout your opinion. Thank you and God Bless.

If I tell you....I would have to kill you.....so what is the sense? Seriously...welcome to the forums. Learn to use this place to your benefit. Go to the bottom of the main forums page and type in the topic you wish to research. There have been many heated and in depth discussion on this forum about the questions you ask. Clink the link below and browse away.... If we can help further....let us know.

What can Juniors Do?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Hard to give advice when I don't personally know who you are talking about. I mean something that would work for one person might not work for everyone. How old are they? How long have they been there? Exactly what else do you want them to be able to do? IMHO, they should just be grateful that they actually get to go on calls. It is important for them to focus on school and grades. Next thing you know.. they'll be pullin' a D'slayer and getting suspending for poor performance in school. If you start to give them too much responsibility they might feel like they HAVE to be around the station 24/7, otherwise it won't survive! If you want them to do more, make them do more work around the station. It's too risky to let 14-17 yr olds operate on a fireground/emergency scene. Our Explorers are allowed to ride with us, expect on EMS calls they have to stay in the rig with the driver and on fire scenes/etc. they either have to stay with the rig or with the driver. If the event is big enough they'll be assigned to rehab (waterboy) and change bottles, etc. They can't go on any Haz-Mat call or anything that would be considered possibly "highly" dangerous (basically, the officer discretion). What exactly are you wanting them to do?

Our juniors arent allowed on the ambulances and i understand cause of HIPPA rules
    Ahhhh, thats a stupid reason. Everyday people with no fire,police or other affiliation ride in the back of ambulances as 3rd riders, why couldnt a junior with training and belonging to the department ride?

What you see there, what you hear there, stays there.......thats all you have to remember.
    Last edited by stm4710; 03-25-2005 at 03:34 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thumbs down Re: What should Junior members be able to do?

Sorry, guys... I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this one. I think "bridgeportfd" is a junior himself. That's okay... but he should be honest about it. Honesty will get you far in life and it makes it a lot easier to put your head on the pillow at night.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: What should Junior members be able to do?

Originally posted by cozmosis
    Sorry, guys... I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this one. I think "bridgeportfd" is a junior himself.
    That was my gut-feeling as well.. that's why I gave the answer I did!

Forum Member

They should only do what the Child Labor Law says they should.

Forum Member

Default Re: What should Junior members be able to do?

Originally posted by bridgeportfd
    HIPPA

HIPAA

The bottom line is that this has all been hashed through before....so why do we bother to beat the proverbial dead horse and instill heated arguments... I gave him the link...let him do the research.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

All juniors should:

Sit Back
    Shut Up
    Learn
    Respect Others
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

holy Dragonslayer got a new name batman lol jk

Thread Information