Forum Member

Cool Officers: What would you do?

Heres the scenario...Interstate runs through your district. 4 lanes each direction, 500 mph speed limit (not really) 30' grass median between lanes with 3' cross-over cables down center. Exits are 1 mile apart for 2 main perpendicular arteries through your district. 7,000 gallon gasoline tanker changes lanes towards the median and doesnt see a minivan in his blind spot (which he should have had) he notices the van as his drivers side saddle tank (diesel)makes crashing contact with the front rt bumper of the van, tanker driver quickly steers hard back rt which severely shifts his load of gas and blows his lt front tire (who knows whats coming next), yep, "rollover", multiple times, tanker comes to rest perfectly "hotdogged" into the median drain on top of the cables (the sides of the median are the buns in the hotdog description, the truck is completely inverted with the driver pinned by the roof of his tractor. He is moderately pinned at the thighs, but has no apparent femur fractures and he's smooshed by the cab top. Conditions are sunny 72 degrees, winds light, low humidity. There is significant leaking from drivers side saddle tank into the median, 1 valve on the rear of the tank has been sheered off and the steel post used to mount he median cables has punctured as football sized hole in the very last end section of the tanker at the ground with gas leaking. You have no immediate access to hydrant but with 2 hosebeds and some creative ingenuity you can have 5" supply lines brought to either side of the interstate. Manpower is not an issue. What do you do with this problem?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Officers: What would you do?

Originally posted by Captnnc What do you do with this problem?
    Post pics of it on firehouse.com, of course...

Forum Member

LOL, Right! I would have if my Chief would have brought our dig instead of a instamatic! OR if our local, "on scene of all bad stuff webmaster/photographers" would have come to it. Sorry. Ive got my dig camera on my engine now.

District Chief

Go home sick!

Establish Command
    Close road in both ways
    Call for closest airport foam unit or lots of foam.
    Call Haz Mat Team
    Call for more resources (2 more pumpers, DC, Air Support) (including heavy squad)
    Protect cab and extricate driver
    Control Spill

Obviously the primary concern is to get the driver out, so the items listed above are in no special order and would most likely occur simultaneously.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

Go Home SICK as soon as you can....
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Forum Member

Originally posted by Captnnc
    LOL, Right! I would have if my Chief would have brought our dig instead of a instamatic! OR if our local, "on scene of all bad stuff webmaster/photographers" would have come to it. Sorry. Ive got my dig camera on my engine now.
    Loosely translated...this means what???

As for the scenario, it's not really that difficult...Life safety is the priority...do the things necessary to keep uninvolved away...and to protect the driver and the crews who will have to be used to extricate him. I agree with CaptStanm1, with the exception of a couple of details that would be different because of our area and response plan.

Forum Member

Stan.................you took the words right out of my mouth .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Sure seems like these accidents are happening frequently in the Wake Co. area... there was that one on I440 @ New Bern.. one on I95 in Smithfield.. and others.. I've heard several stories about the one at I440@New Bern, some interesting things about nearby hydrants..

MembersZone Subscriber

Happened down here about a month ago too - fully laden gasoline tanker ran over the top of a car parked in the emergency lane on National Highway 1. Just to add to the problem, the car was parked on a bridge with a major road passing underneath, so of course (due to Murphy) the tanker went airborne and over the side of the bridge onto the roadway below and highway on-ramp - where it promptly fireballed big time. Lots of foam from aerials positioned on the bridge eventually controlled it, and somehow the driver escaped without assistance. Unfortunately one civilian in the parked car died
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Soil pants, Consider career change to the safe boring career mom and wife so want you to pursure... THEN Decide just how many additional units I am going to need and call for help but above all else....

Sound cool calm and collected on the radio.

Thats what I'd try to do. What did YOU do?

Radio

District Chief

I should have added....make sure you expend all curse words before keying mike. When calling dispatch simply say....."Man you got to see this!"
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    Go home sick!

Establish Command
    Close road in both ways
    Call for closest airport foam unit or lots of foam.
    Call Haz Mat Team
    Call for more resources (2 more pumpers, DC, Air Support) (including heavy squad)
    Protect cab and extricate driver
    Control Spill

Obviously the primary concern is to get the driver out, so the items listed above are in no special order and would most likely occur simultaneously.
    What Stan said! With I-495 and I-290 intersecting in our faire city at the notorius "deadman's curve" (tractor trailer rigs have this propensity to rollover there, despite the flashing yellow warning lights of sharp curve ahead, reduce speed and a sign that has the image of a tailer rolling over!)

If this were to happen here...

Upon receipt of the alarm, roll a full assignment, strike the box for coverage and request mutual aid from the towns of Hudson and Northborough to the scene.

Have fire alarm/PD control (our dispatch center is combined) make the following calls:

State Police to close down 495 and 290 at the Route 20, Route 62 (Route 495) and the Solomon Pond exits (Route 290)

Local PD's to close the access roads leading to or running parralel to the highway.

Worcester Airport and Hanscom AFB to request their ARFF rigs for foam and possible fire ops should the crap hit the proverbial fan. Response distance is 15 miles for Worcester Airport, 20 miles for Hanscom AFB units.

Request two additional EMS units for firefighter safety and transport in the event of things not going "as planned"

Activate the Distict 3 hazmat team, request a full tier 3 response (complete recall of team, the Tactical Ops unit and both equipment rigs)

Request the response of the Department of Fire Services Incident Support unit. If the incident is going to be really prolonged, also request the Incident Reab unit from DFS.

Notify the Department of Environtal Protection (Massachusetts' version of the EPA).

On arrival... establish command until the Deputy Chief arrives. If the Deputy is out (why did he have to pick today to take that personal!) you have command until a higher ranking officer arrives on the scene.

Have the engine companies apply their foam supplies to the leaking gasoline to help prevent ignition and vapor control.

Utilize the mutual aid units to help control the leak from the saddle tank.

Call for LifeFlight due to prolonged extrication and due to the fact that due to the crushing of the cab, it is unkown just how badly injured the driver is. Have one on the mutual aid companies cover the LZ.

Extricate the driver.

Once all this is done, release units as necessary and wait for the cleanup company to offload the remaining fuel and the towing company to remove the wreckage.

Overkill? Better to have all the ducks in a row in case the defacation hits the oscillation!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-26-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Besides the obvious like estblish IC and shut down the road, I wouuld (per my area)...

We would have an ALS engine or quint, an extrication equiped unit, ambulance and PD already on the call. In addition, I would ask for a structure assignment (3 engines, 1 quint, 1 squad and a DC), haz mat upgrade (4 county haz mat units and staff), a tanker and an additional ambulance. Request the county foam unit. Consult with the on duty county TRT officer. Request state DOT. Request medivac on standby.

After that its pretty basic. Apply foam (lots of it) stabilize the tanker, extricate and transport the patient and let DOT & haz mat clean up the mess

After
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Don't forget... "where is the leaking gas and water running off to?" It's going to suck if all that water and gas are running down the drainage ditch somewhere. Yea, it's out of your way until somone downstream tosses a cigarette but into the water.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

At which point you know where it went and soon it will be a non issue.Don't sweat the small s**t. 72f: PERFECT for boiling gasoline.Slug should have protected the broken off valve.So your MAJOR issue is a compromised 2500 gallon pocket.If it lights you won't be able to move water fast enough unless the Airport rig gets there in time.I'd want to look at that stake hole in the tank,Maybe you get REAL lucky and it was an in and out(as if that's gonna happen).Copious quantities of foam and af3 foam are required.'Cause your going to have a problem getting the cab off the driver.Pull the pin and drag the tractor down the median a half mile(Just kiddin').Call for plenty of help because jobs like this wear crews out quick.And get a drill and a suck truck there quick,if you can "dump"the pocket you can minimize your exposure.Which in this case is severe. T.C.

Thread Information