Thread: Training

Forum Member

Default Training

Our explorer program is in the process of planning our annual memorial training/camping weekend. We are looking for ideas of training. This is our 4th year, so we want to change it around a little. We have done all the "normal" training and are looking to spice it up alittle. If anyone has a fav. topic we can train please let me know- each station is about an hr long, and we do 5-6 stations. We also run competitions on the 1st day- so if anyone does competitions, please send ideas for that as well. We have our ideas from the past, but are looking to do some different things. Thanks

Forum Member

Waterball, Hose square, target shot, broken hose, bucket brigade, and Landing Zone are all good competitions and some drills could be Patient Assessment/Backboarding, Water Supply, Fire Behavior, Extrication, Ventilation, and some Medical drills would be good training stations.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Hose square, target shot, broken hose, and Landing Zone - what are these? w
    We do waterball, dressing, ems games, rolling hose, and hooking up hoses, and nozzle relay
    Drills currently are pt extrication, car extriaction, mask confidence, ladders, ff survival- they are 55 min long we are looking to keep all drills hands on
    thanks

Forum Member

Those are all things that we have at our explorer competitions during the summer.

Hose Square- 4 Hoses laid out in square with one laying diagonally through the middle. One guy starts rolling 1 hose when hes done, he flattens out the roll if need be and then taps the next guy on the back and does the same thing. ** We have certain requirements on how high the hose can be and required ppe(i think its bunkers, gloves, and helmet) etc.

Target Shot- Two sections 1 1/2 or 1 3/4" hose, 1 playpipe, and a plug. Also needed is a foam bucket and cone. All members have there hand on the truck or wall etc. then at signal walk to where they need to go, assemble the hoses and nozzles together, then the nozzleman kneels down raises his hand for water and the line is charged. Then knock the cone off the bucket. Best time wins.

Landing Zone- 5 cones and a big area Have members pace off a 100'x100' or 150'x150' square placing cones at the assumed corners and placing one for wind direction. Group closest to actual wins.

I dont remember the rules for broken hose havent seen it done in a long time.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

try and see if you can get a burn trailer

Forum Member

Not allowed to live burn

Forum Member

What about Water Barrel anyone heard of that. It is done at all the fire musters that I attend. Plus if you are having competitions then you could do an obstcle course and tug-o-war. Things that I have done at past musters. Also mid night alarm and others. Just an idea
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

Default Broken hose

Team has a water supply, several rolls of 2 1/2", nozzle, hose clamp, and a target of some sort. The team connects 3 peices of hose and connects to water and shoots a target. After the target is knocked down (judge then resets) the team clamps off the hose, bleeds off the water and removes and replaces the middle section. They must then charge the hose again and knock down the target again. This is a timed event. Time stops when the target is knocked down for the second time.

Thread Information