Thread: New Apparatus

Forum Member

Default New Apparatus

Any get any new Trucks yet from the last time we spoke on this?
    I know there was a couple of depts that had orders...

Forum Member

Monroe fire put a 2004 pierce enforcer quint in service this past year, also look for a new pumper in Stepney next year....
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Forum Member

Nichols (in Trumbull) just took delivery of a new Seagrave engine. I don't know if its in service quite yet though.

Forum Member

Yeh I know that Nichols took delivery of their Seagrave Engine. I believe they put "301" in service on this past Friday or Saturday. but thanks anyway Dan.

Eckert...What is Stepney Expecting? Another Sutphen perhaps?

Forum Member

Prolly not,nobody here likes it, its a POS. I think we are going to look at spartan, kme and seagrave, but i think it will be a spartan. Our rescue and ladder truck is spartan and we have had no problem with them
    IACOJ

Long Hill is expecting to take delivery of a rescue Engine in early June. It's a 2005 KME Predator. I saw it myself last month at an inspection and it's a monster. I believe they are going to call it squad 209... Why? I have no idea cause it won't be a true squad in my mind.
    Last edited by 3satellite; 04-07-2005 at 03:51 AM.

Forum Member

KME= Keeps Mechanics Employed. Greg, how come they speced a new rescue so big?
    IACOJ

Forum Member

because they can!!

UNfortunately matt they havent begun specing our new rescue out yet. This new engine will be run out of 3's as the new "squad" 209. Our new rescue unfortuantely will probably be as big as some of the ones down here in PG. I don't know if you've seen pics of the new Squad 14 however ours will be like that just not a walkthrough body. Our KME tower actually has been very reliable so far it's almosta year old and i have to say ive been impressed with it. It hasn't give us any major problems yet. Working with the company itself also has been very good. They are responsive to our requests in a timely manner and have never said no to us, again aslo YET. who knows what will happen down the road.

Forum Member

sounds like the rescue will bue nice but I dont think a rescue that big like squad 14 is needed in trumbull
    IACOJ

I agree.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has that aerial even been used? Besides pulling it out to give it a bath.

Forum Member

It runs a decent amount of calls, but hasnt been used at an incident i dont think
    IACOJ

It has been utilized at calls gaining access to alot of our commercial properties roofs and such. It has been at a number of working fires but as far as tower up flowing water? no it has not been utilized in that sense. And to tell you the truth i wish it did get pulled out for a bath more than it does right now!

Forum Member

Whoa, Wait a minute there 3satelite

"Our KME tower actually has been very reliable so far it's almosta year old and i have to say ive been impressed with it. It hasn't give us any major problems yet."

You got to be kidding, Lately (as in the last 2-3 months maybe) the tower has been good. But last year, the tower and one engine (2 i believe) was out of service atleast once or twice a month for 3-4 days out of a time. But Wait lets get another KME, when are you gonna learn.

Oh and Rescue Squad 14 (http://bhvfd14.org/news/e050218/) looks pretty damn good! Unlike any KME that I have seen.

Well you certainly can run your mouth, just a piece of advcie when you do know what your talking about. The problems we have had with the truck have not been KME related problems. They have been issues with allsion and catepillar. Just thought you should know.

MembersZone Subscriber

These apparatus are going to have problems. You are talking about a 700,000-1 million dollar piece of equipment that has thousands of moving parts and computer systems. We have an E-One and have had problems with it. Everything has been fixed, but there have been some issues (has something to do with being #6 off the production line). Warehouse Point has had issues with their Pierce. They actually had to send it back to the factory. Things are going to happen.

Forum Member

Beastie what the heck do you know, Tc has 2 E-ones that been out of service too. The frame in the body cracked on one of them for christ sake. So i dont think you have the right to bash LH for having KME. Alot of people I talk to actually say KME is decent. Now ask those same people what they think about an E-one, and they will tell you they rather ride in a golf cart.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Matt,

Please do not post false information.

There was no crack or tear in any frame on our E-ones. Yes, there was a body seam that was becoming separated because a support was inadvertantly left out on one of the trucks, which was fixed very easily. The E-Ones have had minor issues, yes, but every truck does, they have been very reliable and trouble free. Both of our trucks have had little down time, except for routine maintenance.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

Jay I apoligize i was thinking of something else.... I just dont think its right to bash other dept's for the type of truck they buy. They choose that certain truck for a reason.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I think it's fair to say that when you buy an apparatus that is that expensive that is so complex with so many electronics and what not, things are going to break, you will experience problems when you first get it. It is important how the company treats you and the customer service after the sale. That is what will get them more sales, departments hearing from other departments how good the company was to deal with and how fast they fixed any problems that arose.

Thread Information