Forum Member

Default Personal responsibility

Does anybody else out there think that personal responsibility has completely gone out the window in this country? And by that I mean no one is held accountable for there actions anymore. It's always somebody elses fault. It seems like everyone has a damn excuse any more. I just watched a piece last night on MSNBC about the two bank robbers in L.A. a couple years ago who ended up going on a killing spree with fully automatic rifles and shot multiple people, including police officers and children. Now the family of one of the killers is suing the P.D. because they didn't immediatley rush the killer to the hospital in the ambulance - after sparing his life.
    I'm sorry for the rant, but I just can't beleive it any more. The last issue of U.S. News and World Report had a six page article on how teachers are pretty much defenseless in America. Children are allowed to run rampant and fight the teachers - with their fists - and teachers can't defend themselves. Little Johnny doesn't have a problem, the school does. It's all the schools fault that Johnny got an "F" and now he's stabbing the teacher with a pencil and biting his classmates and had to be restrained by the police department.
    I just don't get it. What the hell happened? If you spill a cup of hot coffee in your lap because you where trying to drive at the same time, well, it's not your fault dumbass. It's the fast food joint you bought it from. Even though they are now ten miles behind you.
    I JUST DON'T GET IT.

By the way, feel free to write whatever you want. This is a post strictly for any of you who need to blow off some steam.

Mike

Forum Member

Default Re: Personal responsibility

Originally posted by Plattsfire2
    If you spill a cup of hot coffee in your lap because you where trying to drive at the same time, well, it's not your fault dumbass. It's the fast food joint you bought it from. Even though they are now ten miles behind you.
    I JUST DON'T GET IT.
    Everyone talks about the McD's coffee case with a smattering of facts. There is more to the story. I know there there are cases that seem frivolous. And there are frivolous cases filed. But I don't judge them until I know all the facts.

The McD's coffee case is a classic example of so many urban legends being used as an example of something that justifies something wrong.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Got it.

Forum Member

McDonalds may have research for this and performed a pathetic defense, but the person or (and as the article states itself) people who are so lacking in common sense as to put a cup of HOT coffee between your knees. They do put cup holders in a car for a reason.

Plattsfire, your point is still valid, many people are devoid of any sense of personal responsibility.

If I burn my hand moving a pan on the stove, should I sue the manufacturer of the pan?

Here's another one, go to a car lot and open every door, compartment, storage bin, the trunk, the hood, the glovebox, spare tire holder, and look on BOTH sides of the sun visors. Count up how many warning lables you see. It is absolutely rediculous. When you've wasted a half hour looking at them, open up the owners manual and count up all of the labels there and see how rediculously stupid they are in many respects.

For the precise reason of frivolous lawsuits, Wal-Mart, like them or not, rarely, if ever, settles a lawsuit out of court. That is the only way you can slap these suits down.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

In the wise words of Larry The Cable Guy, "If guns kill people, then I can blame bad spelling on my pencil."

There was an incident out this where some moron fleeing the police on foot decided it would be a good diea to try and run across 10 lanes of the bussiest interstate highway at 1 in the afternoon... despite the police yelling for him not to do it. Needless to say, he was promtly hit by a truck and splattered several directions. Of course, his mother and the local anti-police activist groups immidiately banded together blaming the police for his act of stupidity. Personally, I don't where there was any valuble or measurable loss to society.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

My father has this saying,

"You can not legislate common sense."

Dang if the old fellow isn't right, too.

Lack of personal responsibility is one of my pet peeves. It denotes a lack of character, moral lassitude and a jelly spine. And I honestly think that some of these talk shows and frivolous law suits actually encourage this decline. I won't get into the school system because then this will turn into a rant...
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    If I burn my hand moving a pan on the stove, should I sue the manufacturer of the pan?
    Heck no... you go after the makers of the stove...

Deeper pockets, doancha know
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Around me we have a joint called "Al's beef". The drink cups say "warning beverage may be cold, DUH!" I gotta hand it to them, THAT'S creative!
    Heyyyyy, What's Up There! (Frank Rizzo-Jerky Boys)

MembersZone Subscriber

Around me we have a joint called "Al's beef". The drink cups say "warning beverage may be cold, DUH!" I gotta hand it to them, THAT'S creative!
    I think that's kind of a sad commentary of how stupid things have become.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

The stupidity factor is built into almost everything we do. I work with a lot of the codes, and in one of them it says, "do not check for a gas leak with an open flame device". Well...DUH!! Until you remember that, they only write that stuff in there cause someone has done it.

Forum Member

McDonalds may have research for this and performed a pathetic defense, but the person or (and as the article states itself) people who are so lacking in common sense as to put a cup of HOT coffee between your knees. They do put cup holders in a car for a reason.
    People say that until they are the wronged or injured party. I can assure you the plaintiffs in those cases don't believe they are frivolous.

Definition of a liberal: A conservative whose just been arrested.

I could broaden the definition to someone whose been injured by a defective product.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Originally posted by Ladder8

Heck no... you go after the makers of the stove...

Deeper pockets, doancha know
    Actually you sue them all, including the service company that delivered and installed the stove, and see who wants to settle first.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I was actually just talking about this today........ The lack of being held accountable and the lack of respect and discipline of children today......... It's just hard to believe some of the things people do today.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by Steamer
    Actually you sue them all, including the service company that delivered and installed the stove, and see who wants to settle first.
    Don't forget to sue the power company if it was an electric stove or the gas company if it was a gas stove!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by scfire86

People say that until they are the wronged or injured party. I can assure you the plaintiffs in those cases don't believe they are frivolous.

I could broaden the definition to someone whose been injured by a defective product.
    Definition of a conservative: a liberal who just had a frivolous lawsuit filed against them. You could broaden that to include someone who gets caught doing very "unliberal" like things, like carrying an unlicensed firearm, gets caught cheating on their taxes, etc.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Maybe, maybe not. I'd like to think that I won't sue a company for my own stupidity. Now, if there was something blatantly wrong or showed gross negligence and they knew about it, such as the coverup with Ford and Firestone, then we have a different story.

If I screw up, I screw up. It is these rediculous lawsuits that add to the explosive cost of business, goods, and our own insurance.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Maybe, maybe not. I'd like to think that I won't sue a company for my own stupidity. Now, if there was something blatantly wrong or showed gross negligence and they knew about it, such as the coverup with Ford and Firestone, then we have a different story.

If I screw up, I screw up. It is these rediculous lawsuits that add to the explosive cost of business, goods, and our own insurance.
    I'd be willing to bet those statements have been muttered by more than one plaintiff.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Definition of a conservative: a liberal who just had a frivolous lawsuit filed against them.
    The best one.

Definition of a conservative: A liberal whose just been mugged.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now, if there was something blatantly wrong or showed gross negligence and they knew about it, such as the coverup with Ford and Firestone, then we have a different story.
    I agree with you here Sharkie. There is a world of difference between gross negligence and lack of personal responsibility. Unfortunately, there will always be an attorney who blurs the line between negligence and responsibility. Nothing irritates me more than someone who will not accept responsibilty for his/her actions. Except maybe, the attorney who takes the case.

Forum Member

I'd be willing to bet those statements have been muttered by more than one plaintiff.
    Never said they weren't, but I think most people are decent enough to not do it. But one must also look to the modern day incarnation of the "ambulance chaser" advertising on TV. All you need to do is threaten a lawsuit and you can often times get money thrown at you.

It is often blow way out of proportion.

I never said it was something that wasn't uttered. Just said that I'd like to think that I would never do it. Don't seem to think it is right, but as I said it is often dependent on a case by case basis. More often not.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ROOKIELZ
    [BLack of personal responsibility is one of my pet peeves. It denotes a lack of character, moral lassitude and a jelly spine. And I honestly think that some of these talk shows and frivolous law suits actually encourage this decline. I won't get into the school system because then this will turn into a rant... [/B]
    YES! One of my pet peeves too...actually, I'd even go as far as saying that it is one of the easiest ways to get me fired up! As far as people who don't exhibit personal responsibility for their actions...they'd do best to not give me their excuses because I don't want to hear it! Step up, be a man or woman, get it done, and move on. Life is too short to whine and complain about how unfair the world is to you. People shouldn't do for lazy people what the can do for themselves, and people definitely shouldn't go through life with someone holding their hand! If you are living, breathing, can stand on two feet, work with two hands, and have the mental capacity to function in the world then ya better be doing it, because the ability to do so is a God-given blessing!

And I'll stop there before I REALLY get going. Thanks for the invite to vent plattsfire2, I feel better now! Hmm...a short vent for me...that's unusual.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 03-28-2005 at 12:12 AM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Sr. Information Officer

Caution! Flame may be hot!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

In an article I posted on the Terry Schiavo thread, one of the biggest cheerleaders for tort reform is Tom Delay. Yet he and his family had no problem suing the manufacturer of a tram that had malfunctioned causing his dad to be injured to the point of being in a comatose state. Yet he wants to take that ability away from the rest of us.

I love the hypocrisy of conservatives just slightly more than the hypocrisy of liberals.

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I was actually just talking about this today........ The lack of being held accountable and the lack of respect and discipline of children today......... It's just hard to believe some of the things people do today.....
    What about the people that we are hiring to do this job. Seems that all they (some) want is a paycheck. Don't get me wrong we haved hired some excellent folks that will be around for a long time. Others will only stay until something better comes along.

Oh MY!!!!Dont get me started...........
    That is one of THE most annoying things EVER!!!!!!
    I was raised in a house were responsibility was everything and even if you didn't mean it, didn't want to etc. it was STILL your fault/problem/RESPONSIBILITY.
    I have a huge problem with people not being held responsible for their actions.

Its teaching our young people to be disrespectful, rude, they aren't held accountable and are totally shocked when they are.
    Rath De Ort

RSM

Thread Information