MembersZone Subscriber

Question Need feedback- union logo

I've got a question for the men and women of IAFF. I'm a vollie FF/EMT in a rural area. I've always been told and respected that the union emblem is for union members only to display. I have many union friends on the career side and completely understand what the symbol means to them and their pride in it. Now this new kid at our station, not even through academy yet, has brought some IAFF stuff on ebay and is wearing it around and putting the stickers on his stuff including his car. A few people have said something to him, but he says "it's a free country" and he thinks its cool. How should we handle this guy?
    Thanks!
    PAJ

former FH.com member

You can't force him not to display the logo. If the poser wants to make an *** of himself, let him.

Forum Member

Default Check

Check VGL for a law similar to this Mass. one:

According to Chapter 266: Section 69 Insignia of societies; unlawful use

Section 69. Whoever, not being a member of a society, association or labor union, for the purpose of representing that he is a member thereof, willfully wears or uses the insignia, ribbon, badge, rosette, button or emblem thereof, if it has been registered in the office of the state secretary, shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one month, or both.

People think if they toss a IAFF, Mass Police Assc., FOP,SPAM or thin blue line sticker on thier car they wont get pulled over or get a ticket. Now cause of ebay.....unless they got the ID to back it up or are a spouse they get gigged.

Now lets all go out and write some $20.00 cites...LOL.
    Last edited by stm4710; 03-27-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile And.....................

I know, This is a scary thing to say, but I agree with STM Maryland has similar legislation regarding displaying symbols, logos, etc. of any organization of which you are NOT a member. From a practical standpoint, I don't expect to get locked up for wearing a T Shirt with FDNY on the back, but I could IF A COMPLAINT WERE FILED. The law is a result of people using the Logo of an organization of which they were NOT members, for personal gain. Only enforcment effort that I've heard of was a VFD that successfully retrieved material, including clothing, from a former member. I am not a member of the IAFF, but the situation described has annoyed me, to say the least. Any IAFF local up that way that might look at this?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I know, This is a scary thing to say, but I agree with STM
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information