Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Post Greetings! Welcome to City Hall!

SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - Injured city employees who have the ability
    to perform light-duty jobs could be required to do so - or risk
    losing a portion of their workers' compensation benefits, city
    officials say.
    Four former employees who were injured on the job - two police
    officers and two firefighters - have been offered paid "greeter"
    positions at City Hall and the Department of Public Works.
    The $13.68-per-hour job entails helping the public navigate
    through city offices and departments. The arrangement would allow
    the city to reduce the workers' disability payments by the amount
    they earn, said Lisa Moran, Scranton's human resources director.
    "We still feel they can fulfill the needs of the job," Moran
    said.
    If the workers refuse the jobs, the city could present an
    argument to a workers' compensation judge for a reduction in
    payments equal to what they would have made at the light-duty city
    job.
    Councilman Bill Courtright agreed that some employees now
    collecting workers' comp should be working, but he is leery of the
    city's effort.
    "If someone's legitimately hurt, bringing them back just to
    embarrass them is wrong. I just don't know if this is the right way
    to do it," he said.
    The city's annual workers' compensation bill is about $3.9
    million this year.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Those of you in the wildland firefighting domain...you can be a greeter at your local state park or forest...instead of city hall. You can show people where the squirrels and nuts are.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: Greetings! Welcome to City Hall!

Originally posted by NJFFSA16

Those of you in the wildland firefighting domain...you can be a greeter at your local state park or forest...instead of city hall. You can show people where the squirrels and nuts are. [/B]

Thanks, but we already know where the squrrels and nuts and fruitcakes and Mu**s are.

THEY'RE IN CITY HALL IN SCRANTON PA.
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-28-2005 at 08:45 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

From the City of Scranton's OAFicial website

Scranton FD
    Mission .....
    The mission of the Scranton Fire Department is to provide efficient and effective fire protection and emergency services to the citizens of the City of Scranton.

The department is dedicated to this mission, and has initiated fire prevention programs that are conducted through out the community and local schools, through the use of a fire safe house (trailer). Since 1992, new hire suppression fire fighters are required to attend Harrisburg Area Community College for a 7 week course. Employment in the department is contingent on completing this course and attaining certification from HACC. The department will continue with public education and services as the needs arise.

Currently we are dedicated to addressing public safety issues that have arisen from the September 11, 2001 tragedy.
    Scranton PD
    Our Mission
    The mission of the Scranton Police Department is to protect and preserve life and property; to understand and serve the needs of the Scranton’s neighborhoods; and to improve the quality of life by maintaining order, recognizing and resolving community problems, and apprehending criminals. The Scranton Police Department strives to excel through innovative leadership, accountability, and a commitment to high merit service.
    Nowhere in this these mission statements does it state that the police and firefighters injured on duty have to play tour guides for the MUTTS at City Hall. I wonder if the policy extends to the teachers, DPW and other City departments....

The City of Scranton Human Resources Division mission statement
    The mission of the Office of Human Resources is to help City departments attract, motivate, retain, manage, and develop qualified and productive employees.
    How is the policy going to help do that?

How will this help the firefighter or cop on IOD leave return to the job any quicker?

I thank my lucky stars that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has a law that states that firefighters, policeofficers and corrections officers recieve 100% of their pay while out on IOD leave.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

"Hi, Welcome to City Hall, I am your guide, a Firefighter who did not get hurt enough apparently to stay out 100%, so I am here, directing you to your mutt-locating needs. If you are look for just any mutt, you won't have that long of a journey.. shall we begin?"
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Just another fine example of how a city managers mind really works. Maybe the city can save even more money if they lay-off the janitors and have the FF's and cops clean the bathrooms during their lunch! (That's assuming they get lunch}

Playing devils advocate..........

When your in the military and recive an injury thats not TOO bad but you cant do your job, your put on light duty for a while. If its good enough for our troops, why not the firefighters and police of Scranton.Or if they are on light duty, put them in the office HQ. There is always plenty of paper work at HQ.

I have seen "injured" firefighters on the Lynx with no problem.
    Last edited by stm4710; 03-28-2005 at 11:29 AM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by stm4710
    Playing devils advocate..........

When your in the military and recive an injury thats not TOO bad but you cant do your job, your put on light duty for a while. If its good enough for our troops, why not the firefighters and police of Scranton.Or if they are on light duty, put them in the office HQ. There is always plenty of paper work at HQ.

I have seen "injured" firefighters on the Lynx with no problem.
    That's the problem. If they have a light duty clause in their contract, as some locals do, they should be handling things like paperwork and inspections, background checks, permits, computer data entry and the like... not be a tour guide.

I knew a firefighter who drove a Mercury Lynx, I have seen a lynx in a zoo, and there is a basketball team in the WNBA called the Minnesota Lynx...

*edited for spelling
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-28-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

That's the problem. If they have a light duty clause in their contract, as some locals do, they should be handling things like paperwork and inspections, background checks, permits, computer daya entry and the like... not be a tour guide.

I knew a firefighter who drove a Mercury Lynx, I have seen a lynx in a zoo, and there is a basketball team in the WNBA called the Minnesota Lynx...
    Effecient use of the light duty clause vs. a total lack of logic

A FF or PO can be really effective somewhere within their field.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Depending on the original injury... say an injured back; one little "slip" on the stairs at City Hall would leave City Hall wide open to a law suit. They put him to work, knowing he had an injury...I think the right lawyer could make mincemeat out of City Hall. (I'm saying "He" just for sentence structure and grammatics...)

Are these people who made up this idea up for re-election?
    Is this one of those "vote for me, I made sure your tax dollar went the farthest and no one "rode" the system, no siree, not while I'm in office" bids for re-election?

Forcing the injured to work while on a comp. claim is just plain bizarre to me. I was out on a comp. claim a yr ago for a hairline fracture on a rib. The DR. was excellent and totally smacked down my employer who wanted me to come back to work and train my replacement while I would be recovering. He said "Oh really? What's their number?"
    He put so many restrictions on my range of movement that I was left basically a talking head with multiple rest breaks. My employer is a Nrsg. home who should have some minute idea of what kind of injury I had received in their establishment. After 5 weeks of staying home I went to the Dr. and said , "When can I go back?" He kept me off one more week then sent me back with a gradual work load increase. During the 5th week I was just edgy and bored; it also meant that I would have to miss any fire calls that I felt well enough to attend. I think that was the worst of the whole deal.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    LOL

You're killin me, Cap!
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information