Angry no lightbars for ohio?

Has anyone heard about the no lightbar policy that ohio is trying to pass?
    I just heard rumor about it from someone from columbus. They siad that ohio is trying to pass a law so that volunteers, parttime, and combination departments cannot run with lights. I guess because there are to many yahoos that have lights and should not. This is impossible there is no way any department would survive if we didnt have lights on our vehicles.

Fire Chaplain

Default Re: no lightbars for ohio?

Originally posted by station207
    This is impossible there is no way any department would survive if we didnt have lights on our vehicles.
    This comment is just plain pathetic.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

you do mean no light bars on POV's right?....i strongly agree with that...too many people drive with no due regard as it is. Im sure eventually some one will further expound on this subject.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe this is just a rumor. Have there been a slew of POV accidents lately in Ohio? Then I could see some politicians trying to get some votes by banning lights and sirens.

There is nothing about it on the Ohio Firefighters Assoc. website and I'm pretty sure there would be if it was true.

Have your friend get a House or Senate bill number for this supposed legislation.

And I think most departments could survive without lights on POVs

If you're worried about this, get control of the yahoos in your department and get them to slow down. If everbody policed themselves through SOPs/SOGs, discipline and peer pressure, there wouldn't be a problem.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Its not the yahoos in the departments its people that just can go out and buy a light bar, strobes, or a light changer. And use them in an illegal way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by station207
    Its not the yahoos in the departments its people that just can go out and buy a light bar, strobes, or a light changer. And use them in an illegal way.
    I disagree with you. I think there are many more instances of volunteers driving like idiots racing to calls than there are of weirdos with dash lights trying to pull over cars with single female occupants but the problem you mention would be easy to fix: You have to show proof of active department membership to get Ohio Volunteer FF license plates, just make it the same to purchase lights and sirens and enforce the exisiting windshield ID decal law.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

I have not heard of any such legislation being proposed. And, as was pointed out, since there has not been any recent "high profile" incidents involving a light bar on a personal vehicle, I doubt there would be any effort made to create such a law. In fact, I am aware that there is an effort to increase benefits for volunteers in Ohio (gratis vehicle license is one of the ideas being proposed), so I cannot see the legislators taking away with one hand while giving with the other.

As for the comments from the members who are from outside of Ohio, please be assured that Ohio does not seem to have the problems that exist in other parts of the country. The use of lights and sirens in Ohio has not created any notable problems that I am aware of during the past 24 years I have been involved in the Fire Service. From my observations in traveling around the state, most departments do not have a large percentage of their members operating more than a modest dash light and siren combination. There are a few with all the bells and whistles, but they are the exception more than the rule.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I haven't heard this either. I bet it's just a rumor. And yes, people could survive without their lights and sirens......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We could certainly survive minus the lights, I too havent heard anything of the like, and agree with Moe that there should be some kind of ID process for a purchase like that. In Ohio as I think someone else stated, eache year our vehicles are inspected, and get a individual decal with a registered ID # on it for us. In my almost 18 years on we do have to give the ocassional talking to to some member about speed and it works, before I got on in the early/mid 1980's we did have a member get in an accident where he hit a car, it was his fault, and it was dealt with accordingly.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I find lights to be more of an advantage if I am 1st on scene with my POV, or coming to scene with POV and putting the magnetic flashing light while I get out and help, same as If I put on my 4way flashers.

It's been my experience that more and more people ignore lights and sirens on BRTs and ambulances, let alone someone trying to warpspeed themselves to the station in POV so that they can make the 1st truck out.

Forum Member

Maybe (??) station207 is referring to someone like we have in our community who comes to scenes with a yellow strobe light on his car, flags, stands around the scene, etc... and not even a member. He drives pretty erratic, but who can say anything to him but OSP or SO? It's people like this guy who we could be referring to that has no affiliation with a department, but has a light to get to a scene if he wants.

Forum Member

Default No lightbars?

Who needs a light bar? Just paint your car or truck safety yellow and everyone will see you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I haven't heard this either. I bet it's just a rumor. And yes, people could survive without their lights and sirens......
    yes, but can you go to NOVFA school at bowling green without the whole christmas tree on your POV?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: No lightbars?

Originally posted by Fire40man
    Who needs a light bar? Just paint your car or truck safety yellow and everyone will see you.
    God No!!!! I think that safety yellow distracts you when you are backing up..... At least that seems to be the case here... CRASH!!!!

Forum Member

HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gonna elaborate ? I mean its not like it was in the muddy Muamee or anything?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Weruj1
    HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gonna elaborate ? I mean its not like it was in the muddy Muamee or anything?
    Nothing much excited to elaborate on..... Our trucks just like to back into things lately.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

This is impossible there is no way any department would survive if we didnt have lights on our vehicles.
    ...I'd like to think this is sarcasm.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Let me bring up a dead subject since I was talking about this with a buddy of mine a week ago.

The version of the story I heard was that they're trying to make it so that Ohio volunteers can't have lightbars and can only have dash lights. I don't know why, but thats what I was hearing.

Personally, I think this whole thing is bull **** if it's true. So we have people driving irratically, but at least they have lights and sirens to let people know they're comming. Taking away lights and sirens will make it worse because now you will have volunteers going 50 in a 35 without warning, passing people on the right, and some will blow through red lights and stop signs. Taking away lights and sirens would not be wise.

Another thing is that some of the accidents I hear about aren't even the voluteers fault. The stories I've heard about accidents when going on runs usually was when people either didn't yield or tried to race our vounteers.

Forum Member

Smile What's the big deal?

I work for paid dept. here in north Georgia. We are not allowed to run lights but we are called in for large fires to help the other battalions. Even the volunteers for the surrounding county don't get to run red lights unless they are an officer or above usually. But even if they get lights, the law for this area states that even when use of emergency lights is permitted, the vehicle can go no more than ten miles over the speed limit. Most cops don't even stop civilians going ten miles over the limit here. In fact the S.O. has regulations stating that they must give at least ten mile an hour cushion before giving a ticket. Our departments have no problems getting personel to the scene when they need them. When we went through our evoc course they even told us that you only gain a few minutes by blowing through red lights and intersections. I also agree with most of the other people on here, not everyone should be allowed to run lights. Some are not mature enough for it. But here's an idea. Run emergency to a call. If you have to go back there again, run it non-emergency and see how long it takes. If it takes a significant amount of time without emergency lights, relay it to you state govt. Let them know why you think that "depriving" firefighters of their equipment is wrong.
    Last edited by fireirishDFD217; 02-25-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Forum Member

I'm not saying that it would significantly increase the time it takes to get to the station. Although, a lot of the time it would significantly increase around here. What I was saying that because of the way I know a lot of volunteers drive, it would make it more danerous when they report to the station.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD77
    Let me bring up a dead subject since I was talking about this with a buddy of mine a week ago.

The version of the story I heard was that they're trying to make it so that Ohio volunteers can't have lightbars and can only have dash lights. I don't know why, but thats what I was hearing.

Personally, I think this whole thing is bull **** if it's true. So we have people driving irratically, but at least they have lights and sirens to let people know they're comming. Taking away lights and sirens will make it worse because now you will have volunteers going 50 in a 35 without warning, passing people on the right, and some will blow through red lights and stop signs. Taking away lights and sirens would not be wise.

Another thing is that some of the accidents I hear about aren't even the voluteers fault. The stories I've heard about accidents when going on runs usually was when people either didn't yield or tried to race our vounteers.
    Even with their lightrs and sirens in povs, the Yahoos are driving to endanger.

Having emergency lights on your POV does not give you the right to the road. It is asking for courtesy.

As a career firefighter, I do get recalled for major incidents. I drive to my firehouse as if I were heading into work.. no lights, no siren. I get there safely and then get my assignment.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

MD- I am surprised that Chief Dail Fritsch, doesnt have a better handle on this ......I wonder how long you have been a member of this department ? and why your members seem to be driving out of control wether they have lights and sirens or not.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Weruj1, I didn't say anything about our department. And I'm not a member of the department, I'm an Explorer.
    Last edited by MichaelD77; 01-29-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member

Weruj1, I didn't say anything about our department. And I'm not a member of the department, I'm an Explorer.
    That explains a lot........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

So, your concern is that by the time you turn 18, you may not be allowed to have a light bar on your personal vehicle? Until you have experienced a few white knuckle trips running "hot", you really should not concern yourself with what you feel is safe or not.

For me, the biggest reason I have lights and sirens on my POV is to give the general public some comfort. I don't exceed the speed limit with them, and I come to a complete stop at traffic control devices and only proceed when I can see that everyone else has elected to stop for me to pass.

Now put yourself in the shoes of someone standing outside of their burning house, or waiting for the squad to come help their Dad who is having a heart attack, the sounds of the sirens coming from throughout town could be music to their ears. As was pointed out before, responding with lights and sirens has the potential to only save a few moments (I would question even minutes) of time in arriving on the scene. If you crash on your way because you are driving like an idiot, the delay will be much longer.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information