View Poll Results: What type of department do you want to work for?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Airport

0 0%
  • Small Paid City

4 26.67%
  • On Call Department

1 6.67%
  • Large City

10 66.67%
    Forum Member

Lightbulb What type of department do you want to work for.

The other day I started thinking that when I decide to go for a firefighting job I am not sure to what kind of department I want to join i.e. Airport or small paid city or a large paid city. Well I just wanted to get some imput from people on the forums. I would like the imput from people on who have jobs in the fire department and the excitment that you have while working these jobs day to day. Also from people who want to pursue a career in the fire service. All stories are welcome.

Forum Member

How about volunteer, there are more vollies than paid ff's in the US.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I happily respond to calls for two depts and train fire explorers on a third. I get paid for calls on one of these depts, the rest is volunteer and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I see a lot of people around here who do the part time volunteer gig and decide it's their thing and get all gung-ho and spend years trying to land a full-time gig anywhere in this part of the country. I love firefighting, but I love volunteering to do it most.

Forum Member

I know what dept i want to work for. I was thinking Chicago, but i dont want to live in chicago so now im am thinking i want and try to get on Lisle-Woodridge Fire District, ist a suburb of chicago with like 5 stations and 75+ full time guys.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

i want to work on prince georges county,maryland.it has about 1,900 members, but it has the feel of a small department.My dream job would be to be a station chief in tokyo, japan.

Forum Member

I'm a junior at a volunteer department!!! I think I'd like to stick to volunteer!!

Permanently Removed

Volunteer no doubt. I've been around the station since I was 6 and my dads STILL Asst.Chief but just because I've been there since I was 6, I know I still have alot more to learn.

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by AsstEngineer292
    Volunteer no doubt. I've been around the station since I was 6 and my dads STILL Asst.Chief but just because I've been there since I was 6, I know I still have alot more to learn.

Is an assistant engineer something like the guy who wipes down the apparatus when it returns to quarters??? Or is it someone who can operate the train when the engineer is off??

If my Dad had been on the job and if when I was 6 years old, I wouldn't have been hanging around a fire station. My Mother would have tanned my hide and would have given my Father what for!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by AsstEngineer292
    We don't care if you're father is the Assistant Chief, or the President of the United States.

You're not him, and being there at 6 means nothing. My grandfather was a chief back when I was a small child (still is for that fact), that didn't change anything for me now. In fact, it probably has made it alot harder for me in the fact that I had to prove I wasn't just living under his name, which I am not, and haven't been.

Stop living under your father's name.

Forum Member

Hey now, everybody settle down!!!

Permanently Removed

See? I don't need you opinions sir. If I do mess up THATS MY MISTAKE I THANK YOU FOR SAYING EVERYTHING UT LET ME RUN MY WAY AND I'LL LEARN FORM MY MISTAKES.

to the man who wrote ot me about being the engineer. I do weekly checks on the entire engine. Make sure the lights,siren,radio,rescue tools and everything else is up and running while under supervision of a senior firefighter. Hope that answers your question.

And also, I didn't like "hang around the firehouse" while they were on calls when I was 6, I'd be there,help clean the bays like sweep them or clean the kitchen and if that to you is being in the way then thats why every company isn't the same.
    Last edited by AsstEngineer292; 04-07-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Forum Member

As for those of you bashing Asst Engineer about his father being a firefighter and supposedly hanging around the station when he was little. I did that stuff too but as Asst Engineer said he was put to work, I would clean the kitchen, trucks, help with inventories, etc. He even said that he had alot to learn its not like he was saying that he was better than everyone else he just stated the fact that he got the "Bug" from his dad. I did too. Now I am an explorer and can't wait to get on the FD.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I am an explorer on a volunteer fire department, but when I am certified and everything I want to be on a PAID big city department.

Forum Member

i might try to get on southfield or detroit but i would realy like to get on FDNY.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Thread Information