MembersZone Subscriber

Question So what have you done TODAY?

It doesn't look like this year is shaping up any better than every other year in recent memory as far as LODDs are concerned. So what have you done TODAY to avoid being on the Fallen Firefighters' Memorial?

Today I:

Limited my caffeine intake

Drank plenty of water

Ran 2 miles (and walked 1 for warm-up and cool-down)

Did some strength training

Anyone else?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Sad to say that I haven't done that much. I'm going to get back started with my walking/running this week though.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Woke up..got out of bed..struck a comb across my head.
    Found my way downstairs and had a cup...looking up I noticed I was late.
    Grabbed my coat..found my hat.. made the bus in seconds flat....

IAFF

Forum Member

Question

Well, I worked on my department's request for this years FIRE Act grant...gata have updated equipment and PPE to stay safe, so I SORTA did something I guess. BUT...I could have done a lot more...missed my run because I was too busy to take the time out to do it, but when you put it like that...now I'm thinking maybe I could have found the time?
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

I did a three mile walk/run to get in shape for the St. Paul physical test.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

former FH.com member

did some stretching and ran for 60 minutes on the treadmill

Banned

I got out of bed had a cup of coffee sat down at the computer. had more coffee, so far i'm half way through my second pot and still sat at the computer. I have done very little excersise since '98. I used to have no trouble running 10 miles with 45lbs on my back when i was in the military. I used to be able to run 1 1/2 miles in 8 mins 28 seconds, immediately after running the same distance as a squad run.
    now i get out of breath so easy. I have to get fit again I'm only 31 and feel 60

MembersZone Subscriber

I recieved a layoff notice to help me stay off of the LODD list. Does that count?? Not much exercise going on here now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, not to sound like a freak but...
    I got one of the station's old timers to go over ventilation with me. Now I know I've got a better grip on it than I've had for the past four years. We don't get many structure fires and I've only attended one. Even that was 3 years ago.

Thanks, Ross, you're a very patient man
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Workout every day, try and run 2 miles a day (will start outside when the weather warms up) and treat people the way I want to be treated! Sound corny, it's true! Survival of the fitest out there, we're not getting younger. Eat right, stay fit, live longer!

Anyone want more coffffffffeeeeeeeee???????
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yesterday I swam 12 laps at the pool, paying special attention to my breathing.
    Then I went home and grilled up some chicken , baked a potato, and had some green beans. ( too bad I used too much Bar-B-Q sauce).

In the mornings I still drink my glass of Diet soda, but after that I try to stick with all water the rest of the day.

Wednesday I will lift weights, and Friday I will run/walk the track and work out on the stepper.

Other than that , I sit at a computer all day at my regular job, and sit another 4 hours tonight thru Fire I & II class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default in hopes of inspiring some of you

I am in the gym 4 days a week. I do 45 minutes on the eliptical trainer ( I like them because you can adjsut the incline and resistance). Then another 15 minutes on abs, and 30-45 minutes on strength training. They know me well in 24Hr Fitness.

Lots of water (and I like to drink vitamin water).

Dinner last night was a boneles chicken breast simmered in white wine vinegar, with garlic, tarragon, sun dried tomatoes, (and I probably threw a few other herbs in, I just can't remember what) But it was VERY GOOD and juicy. Served over a bed of baby spinach with red and orange bell peppers, fresh strawberries, mushrooms, chopped Italian parsley and a champagne wine vinagrette.

On weekends, I walk at least 2 miles a day in addition to being in the gym. My job takes up 60 hours a week (50 at the job, 10 for commuting) I put in an average of 15 hours a week towards studying for my degree. But my workouts are a very high priority. It is a matter of what you make time for. You can always find time to do some exercise.

I even find time to come play in Firehouse.
    And yes, I do need my morning coffee. That I will not give up.

MembersZone Subscriber

My morning ritual is to get on my recumbant schwin exercise bike and power up my Xbox. I can sit there for 30 minutes at a shot and play Halo 2 on Xbox Live, makes the boring exercise go fast.

I do the same thing at nite before bed.

3 times a week (split into body parts) I try to lift, right now thats kind of messed up because the gym we have at the VFD hall is being remodled and the next closest one is 13 miles away, so the lifting has been suffering.

My biggest downfall is my eating habits.

I bought the Body For Life cookbook the other day, I want to try it out and see if I can stomach that health food crap!

I generaly try to stay in good shape so I can pass the wildland pack test each fire season and just because being in shape feels good.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Well I started off with coffee and breakfast. Then sat here and read firehoouse.com and the forums. Next took the dogs for our daily walk, or they took me for my daily walk. Now back and planning lunch and reading more on the forums.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

My exercise this morning was the same as most every other morning........wrestling with my 6 year old boy, trying to get him up and dressed for school. This is after I shower, dress and eat breakfast (some healthy cereal my wife buys and 1 cup of coffee).

By the time I am done getting him up and dressed, I almost need another shower.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: in hopes of inspiring some of you

Originally posted by superchef

Dinner last night was a boneles chicken breast simmered in white wine vinegar, with garlic, tarragon, sun dried tomatoes, (and I probably threw a few other herbs in, I just can't remember what) But it was VERY GOOD and juicy. Served over a bed of baby spinach with red and orange bell peppers, fresh strawberries, mushrooms, chopped Italian parsley and a champagne wine vinagrette.
    Superchef, I need to restrain from reading your replies until after I eat! You're killing me. Love to eat, can't cook though.

Keep'em coming though, someday I'll surprise my wife w/dinner.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

I missed my workout last night because of an extended incident, and a drill right after. That makes tonight's workout more of a priority for me, and I won't miss it. What's planned for tonight: 3 mile run (slow and dumpy, which is killing me -- my last marathon I maintained an 8.30 average pace, and now I can barely finish 4 miles at a 10minute pace!), and it's legs & back on the weights.

Sadly, my coffee intake is up a bit these days because I'm teaching both our FF I/II class and the basic recruits' (just joined the department) class, as well as going to class myself (Instructor II). I wish I could give up my day job, but the wife is used to living in a house with a roof, and eating, so I have to keep it . Once the various classes are over and I can get a decent night's sleep, I'll cut back on the coffee again. The diet is still relatively healthy, but could stand some improvement (Mrs. FireChaplain is in an experimental cooking phase these days ).

All in all, I still feel as if I'm in better shape than some of the 20-somethings that are just joining the department! I'm not the one whose heart I'm most worried about on a fireground, anyway.

Stay healthy out there!
    Tony

Forum Member

Got off Shift at 06:00hrs. this morning. 1hr. Drive Home and went to bed about 07:30 {No Sleep at work 2 after 00:01 - runs spread out just enough to ruin the comfort zone}

Anyway back in tonight @ 18:00 and will probably hit the stair master and/or the treadmill - Easier to work out in the station later at night after the house chores get done.

Normal rutine for me on a regular tour is eat light breakfast {Usually before shift change at 6am including 1-2 coffee} go home and sleep if I had a busy shift and eat a light lunch around 2-3 o'clock. Do the shower thing and head out to work again at 4:30 - Make shift change at 5:45 and eat a somewhat balanced dinner.

Walking around the station, up and down the stairs {no pole for us !!} and doing about 3hrs. of cleaning every shift sometimes feels like a work-out and a half but I will take that 30-40 minutes and excercise to some degree. - and of course sleep by 01:30.

Over the last year or so I developed a HTN condition {Hypertension} so I'm on meds for that and basically with reduced fats, less caffine, taking the meds on a daily basis I'm feeling pretty good - now for quitting smoking....oh boy diffrent thread for that one.

How about the 'Burger King' 750 Calorie Breakfast ? Can we say M.I. in a paper wrapper ? You bet'cha

Forum Member

Yesterday was my workout day, so today I rested my body.

Had a bowl of corn flakes for breakfast. Had some soup and a turkery sandeich on wheat (no mayo) for lunch. Diet soda.

Ran out to the station for a little while to work on the FireAct grant. Caught an EMS call and a false alarm trip while I was there.

Going to class tonight for my alternative teaching certification.

Will have a salad and a baked chicken for dinner. Maybe treat myself with a piece of cake for dessert.

Will workout again tommarrow, then I go in for a 24-hour relief shift covering the full-time firefighter at 4:30 tommarrow night.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

What did I do? Welll.. I moved two stiffs from a private residence and from the morgue, received a message that has given my heart and bp an awesome raise in rate and pressure (almost as good as.... well ok maybe not quite that good ) and am about to give the body van a wash down before the end of my shift.

Would someone please drop by the MVFD fire hall? I need some help coming down off the ceiling
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

given my heart and bp an awesome raise in rate and pressure. (almost as good as.... well ok maybe not quite that good. Would someone please drop by the MVFD fire hall? I need some help coming down off the ceiling
    I have some chocolate if that would help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got up at 6AM - 3 cups of coffee and a piece of chocolate cake. Drove an hour to the training academy. Taught 8 hours. Had a samich and 2 cokes for lunch. Meeting at the local ambulance this evening. 45 minutes in the hot tub. Forums. Bed.

Forum Member

I signed up for "Fired Up For Fitness" program...I walked today...I am working toward my 462 day being smoke-free.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Reducing my resemblance to a TV celebrity (Pillsbury Dough Boy) by hitting the gym twice a day, every day I come to the office since Bally's is right next door. Problem is that I get to sit here for the 9 hours a day typing computer code. OK I'm lying, I code for 6 hours, occupy space and consume oxygen for the other 3. Details.

Down 20lbs, 5% body fat, up to 45 minutes on the elliptical, and back over 225lbs on the bench press. Considering I'm 31 and only 9 years younger than when my grandfather had his first heart attack, I'm not waiting for that kind of wakeup call. Might not wake up from it.

Nice job on the year+ smoke free StayBack. Still trying to browbeat my dad on it. Never knew his dad because of it, still doesn't put them down. Tried the "gotta be around for the grandkids" guilt trip, got him to buy the patch. Told him they work better if he puts them on.

Forum Member

I've been eating healthy and taking "dog treks" with the boys
    (Bernie and Murphy, my lab/spainiel crosses)... they, like me gained some weight over the winter. We have been averaging two to hhree miles of walks per day. Now that the snow is gone (finally! ) I will be taking out my hybrid mountain/road bike out a lot more. I have also started lifting weights again.

It's car cleaning season, and when I am doing my detailing venture I tend to eat very lightly and drink plenty of water or gatorade during my detailing sessions.

I do drink too much coffee, so on that track I have my Barista at Starbucks make me a half "high test" and half decaf when I stop in there, and I have been doing the same if I brew a pot of "javah" at home.

I still enjoy my Guinness in moderation. It's only 126 calories a pint and contains antioxidants that lower the amount of free radicals and cholesterol. Whoulda thunk that Guinness would be health food?
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 04-06-2005 at 02:09 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information