Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Deceased Firefighter - Number retirement by radio

We have lost a firefighter of one of our volunteer departments to a very short battle with Lukemia. The young man dedicated his life to fire and EMS in a very rural area. We would like to retire his unit number via radio (dispatach) announcement....Could someone or everyone please suggest a suitable announcement for this purpose.

Thank you for your help during this very painful time.

*Department Tones*This is the last call for *Name* *Unit number,* may he rest in peace.

Or something similar.
    Last edited by backdraft663; 03-30-2005 at 10:28 AM.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

Yeah we lost a firefighter this year , she was retired from the fire service and local ems because she was battleing a drug addiction , so she quitetly retired and she ODed not to long ago , they retired her number and sent out last tones for her , even though she was no longer in the service , which in my eyes was very respectable for her problems she had , she left behind a 11 yr old daughter who will now always be taken care of by the brothers and sisters in this county.

We all have problems at times and she knew she had one so not to let it interfere with her work she left and tried to overcome the addiction the sad part is the addiction won. Very sad but godbless to all those who serve the service one way or another.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Unhappy sad day!!

pbenthal

i am saddened by your loss but will celebrate the contributions and life of your firefighter! the message should come from within the hearts of those who knew him! it is not what the message says but the meaning behind it. i feel honored you have asked the brotherhood to asst you in your time of sorrow! your loss is felt from within as my company suffered a LODD in 2003. if this helps the pleasure is mine.

at the FF service with everyone at attention, present arms (salute)- department tones-message A FINAL ALARM, BOX (his line #)HAS BEEN STRUCK FOR FIREFIGHTER (full name) OF (station/company of said dept.)HIS PRESENCE IN QUARTERS WILL BE FOREVER REMEMBERED order arms( hands down)

i hoped this has helped!!

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

helping people,
    it's what we do!
    capt.Dennis

My grandpa passed away in 1989 he was on Volle FD same department has me. but he worked SO so the dispatcher come over had said
    car 10 is 10-10,10-7 at signal 1--- farwell car 10. Lord it was so hard to hear that becouse the famley was used to hear him on the air and used 10-10 at signal-1 all the time and i'm 21 years old now and it's still hard ever time i read that on his tomb stone
    Last edited by cavecity114; 03-30-2005 at 10:19 AM.

ours are alot like what backdraft663 said. we include birth date and date of passing and date they started in to the fire service with our station. god bless all involved and our prayers go to you.

I've heard DCFD do last tones for firefighters. We've done it here like this:

*all call tones* This is the final activation for *rank and name* member of *company* for *service time*. Such and such was lost on *date of passing* due to *illness/whatever*. If it's an incident, include the box number/adress and type of call. Then, at the end(using Mike as a generic example): Michael, you will be forever remembered.
    Last edited by SpartanGuy; 03-31-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

My grandfather died three weeks ago and the department that he, my dad, myself and my oldest son are members of gave him a salute as the casket rolled by. We set his gear on a chair and his boots in front with one laid over. The company solutes as the casket goes by. We have done this for two or three others in the past. He was the last of the original members of the department that started around 1951.

Our town does this for all deceased during the 6 pm pager test and messages.

*All tones*

"It is with the depest regret that the ________ Fire Co. announces the passing of (Life member/active member) ___________."

Then a short bit about time served.

An announcement usually follows with wake and funeral times and that all members of the affected house report in Class A at X time.

I think it's very respectable.

~Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

PBenthal - Sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest sympathies for you & your agency.

We do a "Last Call" at the grave side to end the service.

Members agency tones X 3 & dispatcher announces something along the lines of what SpartanGuy posted.

Directly after that Taps is played & the honor guard removes & folds the flag from the coffin & presents it to the family.

All persons present with a pager or radio are requested to have them turned off & only members of the deceased agency(ies) turn theirs on when the signal for last call is given.

In your case you could add something for the radio number retirement.

Using SpartanGuy's as a base - it would read something like this:

*Agency tones X 3* This is the final activation for *rank and name* member of *company* for *service time*. *Name* was lost on *date of passing* after a brief battle with Leukemia.
    In recognition of your years of devoted duty to your department & your community, we will now retire *radio designator* from active service. *Name*, you will be forever remembered.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

maximumflow wrote: at the FF service with everyone at attention, present arms (salute)- department tones-message A FINAL ALARM, BOX (his line #)HAS BEEN STRUCK FOR FIREFIGHTER (full name) OF (station/company of said dept.)HIS PRESENCE IN QUARTERS WILL BE FOREVER REMEMBERED order arms( hands down)

The above is the same as we go it !

we also drive by the firehouse on the way to the cemetary. Out front of the firehouse on chair is a set of gear and helmet with one member in full dress. All apparatus is brought out and lights on. Airhorn is sounded. And all members not in funeral procession or cover company come out line up in front of the apparatus and salute.

Thread Information