Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cell Phone

Default Cell Phone

Im looking at getting a cell phone. What type of service do you do you all have? What type of phone? Pros and cons? Thanks
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

i use a nextel. i really love the direct connect feature. be cautious, if no one else you talk to has one, you will just be wasting it. i was one of the first ones out of my group of friends to get one, so at first i never used it. but after a while, a bunch started to change over.

i had cingular before that. the only thing i liked better with cingular is the coverage area. i could go anywhere in kansas and have service. with nextel, as long as im close to a major highway, im good, but out in the wheat fields of the west, nothing.

Default Me...

I like Verizon. Good website and cusomter service. I also
    like their area coverage. (I dont need the walkie talkie
    feature of Nextel)

-Bou

If enough people that you need to talk to have a Nextel,especially within your department,then I would recommend getting a Nextel. I use one for work. The direct connect is great to keep in touch with the guys if you're a plumber or electrician etc.etc.

As for my personal cell phone, I've been happy with Sprint since 1999. I hope this helps you with your quest.

I use Aliant for service(Canadian)....And use a Samsung Phone...Love the phone...Very compact and easily fits in my pockets...No problems here
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

either verizon or nextel. I've used verizon, and it has the best coverage. several of my friends have nextels, and while it doesn't have the coverage area of verizon, it has the direct connect, which people seem to think makes it worth the added expense.

personally, I think having service is the most important thing, so I would go with verizon, but it all depends on where you are and what the coverage map for your provider is.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Ive had Sprint for years. No problems. Not sure about the phone, its at home. I think its a no frills flip up Samsung.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Anyone out there NOT have a cell phone?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I have had nextel for the last 4 years. Service is so-so but then again where I have service others don't and vice versa.
    Most of the guys I work with at all my jobs have them so they come in handy. I had cingular and that sucked. At&T was even worse. Verizon has a terrible echo problem. They all have their problems just pick the right one for you.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Originally posted by PuffyNPFD
    I had cingular and that sucked. At&T was even worse.
    It's a good thing cingular and ATT have combined into one company, together they may reach levels they never before thought possible...mediocrity.

lol Actually, I have had no problems with cingular, and you gotta love free roll over minutes.

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

I love my nextel but I am in a good service area. I would recommend nextel if you have a good service area.

Also you need to know people with nextel or its not worth it. There is no denying that nextel is higher priced then most providers. but I have unlimited nation wide direct connect so its well worth it to me. I only use 500 phone minutes a month, but I use 3000 direct connect minutes, mostly nation wide.

I dont know if its just me but after having a nextel for so long it kind of bothers me to have to make a phone call. two waying is just so much more easier.

if your looking for a provider that you will have service damn near everywhere you go then I would say cincular would be your best bet.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Do not have one. Do not plan on getting one. Do not want a leash on my hip.

Was there ever a time we didnt have cell phones???? lol

Here's ya a cell phone! How would you like to carry that on your hip?

Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

I have Verson with an Audiovox 8900 (or is it a 9800??) flip phone with a camera built in. Didn't really need the camera, but since I was going to be stuck with it for 2 years.. I figured I might need it sometime in that time period.

I have been happy with the Verizon coverage and their "IN" program connects you with a lot of people since Verizon is a big carrier around here. I would recommend a flip phone primarily because of problems I have seen with people who do not have flip phones. They tend to bump the buttons and make the phone do things unintentionally.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Question Re: Cell Phone

Originally posted by backdraft663
    Im looking at getting a cell phone. What type of service do you do you all have? What type of phone? Pros and cons? Thanks

You don't have a cell phone????

You must be the last person on this earth that doesn't have one!!

Where have you been, freeze dried?????

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

In my own humbled opinion, I prefer Motorola phones. I am very difficult on them, and only ever had one not work well after many 3'+ drops. Another great brand name is Nokia, although I dont care for it myself.

Another reason I prefer Motorla phones is the product support and abailable accessories.

As far as carrier, take a little time to figure out whom you would talk to most, and find out which carrier would best suit your needs. What works well here in KC (ironically Sprint has less than perfect reputation for service in it's hometown) may not work well anywhere esle.

Myself I am currently with Cingular,and have no complaints, but If I change it will be to Nextell to take advantage of two-way

Good luck & be well

Work pays for this and it's about as indispensible as I can think. I am amazed at what I can do with this. I use Verizon for service and have never had a loss of signal.
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs down

DON'T GO WITH NEXTEL!! I used to have a phone with them (used to being the operative phrase here). They are behind the times with tower coverage and phones. The signal is OK in the city but there is none in outer areas.

Your best bet is Cingular. A couple of relatives and a friend of mine have it, they love it.
    All of the above comments are solely mine and not those of anyone else.

Nobody is ugly after 2 A.M.

Some see the glass as half-empty, some see it as half-full, I just wonder who in the H#$* is drinking my beer!!

Thread Information