Default Tampa/Orlando jobs?

I'm currently living in MI and attending fire academy here, but I was born and raised in Odessa, just north of Tampa, and would like to get back to my family eventually. So where can I go to find the scoop for getting hired in FL? Some info or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

First thing I would do is see if the academy you are currently attending is worth your time. Especially if you are serious about moving to and working in Florida. FL has very strict policies about not accepting other states training. Regardless of how much experience you have or where you went to school. Myself and many co-workers, and many others on this forum have had to go to the fire academy all over again because it was not a FL course. Look at this website for info.
    http://www.fldfs.com/SFM/

Once you have secured your fire cert, you need to have NR-EMT or medic to gain employment in most places. If you do not have national, you will have a hard time if not impossible attempt at reciprocity. As for available jobs in FL, they are a plenty. The departments can not get enough paramedics. FF/EMTS are a dime a dozen, so there is some competition, but there is plenty of work for everyone. An excellent website for jobs is 911hotjobs.com. There are others, but I am most familiar with this one. Do a google on FL fire jobs. If you want more info about certain depts, let me know and I'll share what I can. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I forgot to mention one possibility. I can't remember if it is the city of Orlando or Orange County FD that has a cadet program. This is something they started a couple of years ago. Anyways, I think it is only done once a year. They hire joe blow off the street and put them through their fire academy and EMT class. They pay you 10/hr and you get no benefits. However, if you successfully complete all their training, you are almost guarenteed a job. I will try to find out more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Having a hard time finding the recruit academy. Might be discontinued. Anyways, here are a few more websites. I am also providing a page from the city of Orlando's site. If you will notice the part that states they will not accept reciprocity, national certs, or other states' certs. Sorry , but you may be wasting time in your current academy.

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/OCFRD/...nt/default.htm

OFD Careers

The Orlando Fire Department
    Equal Employment Opportunity Plan

The Orlando Fire Department is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity and provides for equal opportunity before and during employment with the Department for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, political affiliation, disability, marital status, or other similar factors not job related. The Department’s policy of equality of opportunity applies to all levels of employment in the Department and to all job classifications. In addition, it is the responsibility of each department manager and supervisor to give the Department’s non-discrimination policy full support through leadership and by personal example. In addition, it is the duty of each employee to help maintain a work environment which is conducive to and which reflects the Department’s commitment to equal employment opportunity. Every effort will be made to employ and retain qualified individuals with disabilities. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of July 26, 1990, the Orlando Fire Department exercises an affirmative duty to make reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and employees so that qualified individuals can perform the essential functions of a job.

Robert A. Bowman
    Fire Chief

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The City of Orlando does not accept applications or interest cards for the position unless the job is posted. Please check the website www.cityoforlando.net and click on "jobs" or call the City of Orlando Jobline at 407-246-2178 to see if the Firefighter position is posted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qualifications

•United States Citizen

•Must have Firefighter Certification in the State of Florida.

•Must have State of Florida EMT or Paramedic Certification.

(for more information on obtaining Firefighter Certification, go to the Florida State Fire College website: http://www.fsfc.ufl.edu/

(for more information on obtaining EMT/Paramedic Certification, go to the Florida Bureau of EMS: www.doh.state.fl.us/workforce/ems1/index.html ).

The City of Orlando does not recognize reciprocity, national certifications, nor do we accept certifications from other states*.

*If you are a certified firefighter from another state, please go to the following website for information regarding challenging the state exam: http://www.fsfc.ufl.edu/Standard/StdFFCrt.htm

*If you are an EMT or Paramedic from another state, please go to the following website for information regarding challenging the state exam:
    http://www.doh.state.fl.us/workforce...recerthome.htm

Access the Florida State Fire College website

Access the Florida Bureau of Emergency Medical Services

•Firefighters may reside in any County in Florida provided the response time to the closest City boundary is a maximum of thirty (30) miles from such boundary or not more than forty-five (45) minutes driving time from such boundary.

Thread Information