Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA 19006-Brush Truck Requirments-HELP

Hi All,

I am writing a grant a for new brush truck for our VFC, and I need to clarify what is the NFPA 1906 specs for one.

We would love to use a new system called "Air-Kwik" www.air-kwik.com instead of a standard tank/pump, but I need to verify that it will meet the requirements. The system meets FIRESCOPE requirments for California.

I know I can buy the NFPA book, but I was hoping someone would have the information here.

Also, if anyone has any successful narratives for a brush unit, I would appreciate if you could pass them along.

THANKS

Peter

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Somewhere buried on a computer I had it but I can't find it right now. You should be able to get the 1906 requirements from an apparatus manufacturer with a quick phone call. Since this is new technology, I'm sure that 1906 doesn't address any wildland suppression systems that don't involve water. Nearly every small brush truck I've seen (1+ ton chassis) has a 250 gallon tank, so I'm sure that's the requirement as far as pump and tank go. I don't see this system being NFPA compliant, but they're only a recommendation, and the rest of the truck can be anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

This system is a water system, just uses air (SCBA Bottles) instead of a pump. Our plan was to use a 150 gallon system with 150' of 1" hardline. The system will provide 200 PSI at the nozzle.

These have been approved by FIRESCOPE in California, and by Washington state.

We have issues, where our volunteers are "not allowed" to own anything with a 'pump", so this is our way around it. The unit is going to double as a rescue squad and brush unit. Since the Priority 1 is for Brush units, that is the primary goal. It will also carry rescue tools (air bags, jaws, etc), EMS supplies, etc.

THANKS

Peter

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Ah, just breezed it, only caught about using foam, missed the part about it being premixed. Either way, don't see it being a big deal about NFPA 1906. Costs less, easier to transport and use, why the heck not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok good. Having not seen NFPA 1906, I did not know if there were tank/pump size requirements that had to be met. I know that all Fire Grant vehicles must meet the NFPA 1906 requirements.

THANKS

Peter

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd check with a manufacturer to see what 1906 says. I don't remember a tank size requirement, but if there is one, you're wasting your time because this system is not 1906 compliant since there is no tank. No sense in throwing in the towel before the application is even submitted.

Thread Information