Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Making the Hydrant ???

Just curious how everyone attaches thier LDH (4" or 5") to the hydrant ?

Which discharge do you use ?
    If you use a 2.5" discharge, do you gate it ?
    Do you use any hardware such as humat or 4-way valves or go straight from the steamer ?
    Do you gate any unused discharges ?

Here we go from the steamer using only a stortz/threaded adapter and do not gate the 2.5" discharges. If we have to use a hydrant without a steamer (many of ours have only 2.5" dischages)we use a hydrant gate and a 2.5"/4' stortz adapter, without a gate on the other discharge.

The last department I was on in Vermont, we used a 4-way valve and gated both of the 2.5" discharges. We had a systemn which could supply water in great quanities but an engine to pump the hydrant after it had begun flowing water without the need to shut down the hydrant to connect in. Gating the discharges allowed us to us the additional flow later in the incident, if needed.

We could use the steamer if we wanted to, but we usually don't.

2.5" by 4" adapter on a gate valve, gate valve then attached to 2.5" nipple on the hydrant. The other nipple is also gated with the same style adapter.

When I first came on we still had 3" hose and 5". So if you had a one or two room house going you could pull the 3" you would hook that to one 2.5" discharge and gate the other 2.5 discharge. Now we only have 5" so we hook that up straight to the steamer and gate one 2.5 discharge. Typically with the 5" you are going to get all the water off that hydrant, but gating the hydrant leaves you with the option if you had to hook another engine to that hydrant. But usually there should be another hydrant to get instead of going off the same hydrant at the 2.5 discharge. But we gate it just in case.

We use the humat valve off the steamer connection. We hook our 5" hose to the humat then. On the side we have a 2.5" gate valve on it in case we want to hook an auxiliary line.

We have a company near us that tried to get us to change to their method(using 4" off the two 2.5" valves). We flow tested it and they weren't anywhere near our flow from just the steamer, much less if we put an engine on the humat with or without an auxiliary 2.5" off the side.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Humat on steamer,. Pumper always hooks up to pump if necessary.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We use a storz adapter off the steamer to 4". We do gate one 2.5 just in case.

If we have an old steamerless hydrant, we attach one gated 2.5, and gate the opposite 2.5 for a second line if needed.

In the very near future, we are going to get a 2.5 to 4" Storz adapter to simplify ops on the older plugs, and run gated both sides.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool None Of The Above...............

We do not hook a line direct to a hydrant. First arriving Engine will drop 1 or 2 Three inch lines at the hydrant. Second arriving Engine will hook up to the hydrant, using a 20 foot soft suction hose, 5 or 6 inch diameter, and then supplying the First Engine. Third Engine will stretch from a different hydrant, Fourth Engine will pump the line for the Third. Additional Engines (if any) will stretch in and position at the direction of the IC. Works VERY well for us.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Default Re: None Of The Above...............

Originally posted by hwoods
    ...Fourth Engine will pump the line for the Third. Additional Engines (if any)...
    OK, now you're just making me jealous.

A four engine response is a dream out here.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Dang, on most of our fires if I could get 4 engines there I wouldn't need the hydrant at all...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default What are hydrants?

Drafting is pretty much all we have here. Once in a great while we go to a hydrant district, but when we do we hook to the steamer with 5" soft suction, and gate the 2 1/2 just in case we need more.

I saw a video of an engine company in the city, and they said they used an automatic hydrant valve. What is that? And how does it work?

Here we have the 4 & 4.5 " adapters to Stortz........why 2 sizes of adapters ? The neighboring township dpartment for some reason has 2 different size steamer connections. We also have the 2.5 to 4' stortz adapter for hydrants with no steamer. Also in about 99.999999999% of our fires we forward lay ..there are some departments out here that drop the hose wrap the plug and the second due "makes" it up.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Sometimes we'll stop and just wrap a hydrant and let the second engine finish the hook-up, as Weruj said. However, that depends again on the situation(Namely, how far behind us they are).

All of our steamers around here are 6". However, there are some weird ones in the older section of town in our mutual aid district, including dual 2.5". Then again, there are some odd Chicago-style dual steamers, too. Those things are pretty damned cool.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our hydrants have the steamer and 9 times out of 10 we use it with a threaded to Stortz adapter and 5" LDH.

The only place we would do something different is on the Interstate. The access holes in the noise abatement walls are 6 feet off the ground. It was felt that this is too high for the weight of charged LDH so SOG is for dual 3" supply lines with an engine on the plug to boost pressure to the attack engine on the highway.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by Weruj1
    ..there are some departments out here that drop the hose wrap the plug and the second due "makes" it up.
    We operate that way out of necessity, because we don't have LDH. Can't connect direct to the hydrant, have to station a relay pumper at the hydrant to overcome the friction loss in the 3" supply line. So the first engine forward lays from the hydrant, the second engine makes the hydrant and pumps into that line.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

5" LDH to the 4.5" port with an adaptor
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Arrow hydrant hookup

my co. runs 5" and if 1st due never passes water going in! our hydrants are 500' apart with some ares 750' apart. we tie in doing a total takedown,hydrasst valve on steamer and 3" full flow gates on the 2.5" ports! we also leave a 5"to 2.5" clappered siomese for any other eng that may pick up the hydrant. the gates are left for boosting only. if 2nd due we drop a manifold( 5" to gated 5" port and on each side of the gated 5" there are 2 gated 2.5" ports)and lay out to the hydrant.

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

helping people,
    it's what we do!
    capt.Dennis

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking 2 Engines - 4 Engines..........

Originally posted by dmleblanc
    So the first engine forward lays from the hydrant, the second engine makes the hydrant and pumps into that line.
    Dang it, Dwayne, you're already halfway there........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Catching the plug varies from incident to incident depending on manpower involvment and plug location.

But hooking to the plug is done one way. 5" direct to the steamer with no gate valves on either 2-1/2" outlet. We do have some plugs that have no steamer and just have 2 2-1/2" outlets for those we slap a 2-1/2" adapter to the 5" and hook it to one of the outlets and leave the other capped.

Forum Member

We have great pressure around here so no need to boost LDH. My personal preference is to hook LDH to the steamer and if time allows, a 2.5" gated wye to one of the other ports for future use if need be. Usually in the time it takes for the driver to lay in and fiddle around with stuff at the scene I can have plenty of time to flush and shut down the hydrant and make both connections and arrange the hose on the ground and then stand around waiting for the signal to give water.

But most of our fires are in non hydrant areas anyway so we seldom have to worry about it.

Birken

At home we use a hydrant assist valve connected to the hydrant using a Zip Nut and 4" LDH with storz couplings. We don't use the 2.5" connection.

Thread Information