Forum Member

Default Myrtle Beach Fire Department

i have been in myrtle beach the last couple of days and have seen Myrtle Beach Fire Department in action. I really like the way they run and was wondering if anyone in the forum runs with them and has any advice to offer about getting on with them.
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Having been born and raised in Myrtle Beach, I would like to add my 2 cents. I volunteered for many years with MB Rescue and we ran along side with MBFD. I knew many of the FFs and they were a great bunch of guys. I was a graduate of their 6th recruit school although I did not reatin employment with them due to relocation. Having said that, they are a great department. I am sure they have their politic issues like all depts, but overall they got their s**t together. They just recieved a Class 1 ISO rating.

As for employment, they used to have testings annually, however over the last few years, the trend has been to hire from the volunteers or their per diem pool. If you do a google on MBFD, you will find ads for PT positions. These are the only ads I have seen for the past 3 years.

Anyways, it always helps to have a paramedic cert as they are an ALS agency. They do their own transports and have ALS engines.

If I ever started working on the ground again and lived in SC, they would be my choice above all the others. They have excellent equipment and nice/new stations. The area is growing so fast, so it is an excellent time to get on.

I know I did't really help you, but you do have my support. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread Information