MembersZone Subscriber

Question Explorer Post SOG's

I am a Lieutenant FF/EMT and the lead advisor for our Explorer program. We are in a bit of a heated discussion with our political leaders as to what we should allow our Explorers to do in station and on scene. Sounds like several of you are allowed to carry pagers, respond to active scenes, etc. If some of you would kindly send me a copy of your SOG's, SOP's, rules, regulations, by-laws, or what ever you call them I would greatly appreciate it.

Post them here or e-mail me at lteagle@g3promotions.com, if you need to mail them via US Postal, e-mail me, I will be happy to pay the postage and your expenses in making copies etc.

Thanks,

Lt. G. Norris
    Rushcreek Twp Fire & Squad
    Explorer Post 009
    Ohio

Permanently Removed

Hey Eagle,

I'm a Jr.Firefighter but I captain the explorers,but my father the Asst.Chief is the advisor so I'll run down to the station today and I'll send you a copy of the explorer SOGs later today?

Be safe,Keith.

Forum Member

I don't have an updated version handy, but I can summerize it pretty easy.

Major BSA Rules:
    Two adults must be present for all activities.

No climbing ladders over 7'

Major OSHA Rules
    No wearing SCBA

No going into IDLH atmospheres

No using power tools or hurst tools

Major Dept Rules
    No responding on school nights after 21:00. Respond at any time on non-school nights.

No going to mutual aid calls without the permission of an officer.

If a senior FF needs the seat in the truck, the Explorer can be bumped.

No sitting in the driver seat of an apparatus while the engine is running.

No blinking lights and no driving like an idiot.

Explorers who are EMT's may respond to the scene of an EMS call.

All other incidents require explorers to come to the firehouse and ride the apparatus to the scene. (Within reason. If there is a 50 car pile up blocking your route to the firehouse and you are an EMT, I expect you to get your *** out of the car and help.)

No leaving school for calls. Period.

All explorers are issued pagers and they should be off when at school (not that it is any more disruptive than 5,000 cell phones).

Dicipline for violation of rules is handled by the adults running the post. There is one head advisor, and a few other advisors (one being myself). We will review what happened and the circumstances leading up to it. A decision on what to do will be based on all of that information. It can be anything from "Hey dumbass, don't do that" to "Bye bye, don't come back."
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Permanently Removed

LLVFC SOGs for Explorer Firefighters and Junior Firefighters

Explorers
    Cannot leave apparatus unless told by line officer,NOT DRIVER.

Can assist in equipment setup,driver only, not helping setting the rescue tools up.

Can do accountability if a certified or junior is NOT already doing it.

Can help breakdown,not hoselines or anything within 20-30 feet of the scene.

If the incident is a hazmat or chemical incident, the explorer CAN go but no matter what MUST STAY IN THE APPARATUS no exceptions.

Cannot take pagers to school.

Cannot leave school for calls,no exceptions or excuses.

If an explorer is on the truck and it is full and a junior shows up, the junior can bump the explorer off without conflict. Same if a certified firefighter shows up, they MUST get off with out conflict.

Can wear SCBA if needed and ONLY IF it is not needed and there is a spare pack avaliable.

CANNOT RESPOND TO ANY CALLS OUT OF THE TOWNSHIP PERIOD

Junior SOGs

CAN DO EXTERIOR OPERATIONS IF NEEDED OR COMMANDED

CAN RESPOND TO ANY CALL(S) OUT OF THE TWONSHIP

Can leave apparatus when arrived and stages in front on engine and awaits commands.

Can setup rescue tools if trained.

Can do accountability.

Can do overhaul if needed and scene declared safe enough.

Can help breakdown on the scene if permitted.

Can respond to Hazmat/Chemical Incidents and can leave apparatus but must stay with driver/pump operator and have the SCBA ready to be safe.

Cannot take pagers to school.

Cannot leave school for calls,no exceptions or excuses.

If an explorer is on the truck and it is full and a junior shows up ,the junior has the right to bump the explorer off.

If a certified firefighter shows up and there is no room and the truck hasn't left, the junior is to get off without conflict.

The Explorers and Juniors at any given time are NOT to sit in the drivers seat no matter what. Failure to comply with these Standard Operating Guidlines(SOGs for those who didn't know what SOG ment) Will be dealt with by a line officer or the chief. If expelled, they can re-apply in 6 months.
    Last edited by AsstEngineer292; 04-04-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Forum Member

In our post, explorers are allowed to climb ladders over 7' and we are allowed to wear SCBA's. We put out a car fire every May where we need them we also use them in training alot.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Where exactly in Ohio are you located? I am up near Toledo and glad to help.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Explorer Sog's

I've had community interest in starting an explorer post. Please send me your SOG's regarding this matter. Actually, I'm updating all department SOG's if you could send me your dept. SOG's that would be great.

sdalton295@ccrtcblue.com

Thread Information