Forum Member

Default Electronic Govener

I've heard that the Class one electronic goveners have about 2-3 years of good operation, but then they start developing problems and/or malfunctions. Our first due engine is getting about that age and I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had any problems with thiers and if there are any "signs" that it's getting ready to go. One more question, if it does malfunction, the pump is worthless until it's repaired, correct? Thanks in advance.
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Keepin it real

Well not sure if this fits the topic or not, on our first out engine a ALF Eagle pumper which went into service Jan. 2001 we have the fire commander (not sure on if this is made by class one or not, looks simular) system as of this date we have not had any malfunctions with the system other then the display on the pump panel which has a few segments not working (you can still read the display). I'm waiting on the day when it fails to work, seeing there is no manual back-up.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Our stations first due went into service in May of 2000 and has had no problems to date...knock on wood.

Forum Member

I cannot understand why something like the governer would fail after a certain time frame. The system is basically made up of a transducer that registers the pump pressure and the electronic head that interfaces with the engine. If the transducer fails most goverers would allow a change to RPM mode in which the pump could still be controlled. If a failure happens with the head and the interface with the electronic fuel control of the engine you would be stuck with a pump at idle or about 40 PSI.

Forum Member

I cannot understand why something like the governer would fail after a certain time frame.
    I'm just guessing, but the time frame may have something to do with the time it takes (over the years) for things like humidity, washing, or any other instance where water can get into the casing and into the circuitry causing corrosion or shorts on the circuit board. I know that they're supposed to be waterproof, but considering they're exposed to the elements and getting bumped and banged from time to time due to carelessness.....it seems possible.
    Then again, after saying that, maybe it was due to carelessness that caused these problems in the first place. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone beat something trying to get it to work.
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gregg-

I agree that you should be able to switch to RPM mode and continue to operate the pump. However, you would have to watch your gauges very closely because once you switch to RPM mode, the system won't automatically adjust the throttle to control pressure, right? Let me know if I'm confused about this - I'm certainly not the expert here. Just checking to see if I understand this as we have a similar electronic governor on our new engine - want to be prepared, and maybe share this info with our other operators.

Forum Member

Default Re: Electronic Govener

Originally posted by Stick533
    I've heard that the Class one electronic goveners have about 2-3 years of good operation, but then they start developing problems and/or malfunctions. Our first due engine is getting about that age and I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had any problems with thiers and if there are any "signs" that it's getting ready to go. One more question, if it does malfunction, the pump is worthless until it's repaired, correct? Thanks in advance.
    Ours didnt last that long. No warning at all. Just one morning during apparatus check out, we got a "no-link" message on the controler. Couldnt do any operations with it (pressure or RPM). Its happened twice in the three years we had it. Its Pierce's version of the Class1 unit, but I dont think that makes a difference. Now we are having problems with it holding at set pressure when pumping multiple lines. Needless to say, Im not impressed.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

There is no set amount of time that a governor will last before it begins acting up.We've been running governors on our apparatus since 1992 with VERY little failures.The biggest problems associated with governors trace back to when they were installed. If the wiring was done incorrectly with poor routing of the wires or poor grounds, that is where problems begin. It also depends what engine your running. Detroit Diesel governors are already in the DDEC ECM. The Fire Commander isn't the governor, it just the switches for the DDEC.You can accomplish the same thing with a couple of gauges and three toggle switches.

Also, with every new engine, meaning engines produced over the last 10 - 15 years, they're all electronically controlled without a mechanical throttle. Even if you have a vernier throttle on the pump panel, it's just an electrical switch on the other side of the stainless panel.

Don't be afraid of governors. As long as the manufacturer does a good job on the wiring and has good grounds and power supplies, you should be trouble free.

Forum Member

firemedicgm,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I just got back from FDIC. Yes the governor will not slow down based on pressure rises when in the RPM mode. It is also different than the vernier throttle controlled systems. With a relief valve and vernier throttle when you stop flowing on one of the lines the load on the engine is decreased and the rpm rises and gives you a higher pressure. With a governor the RPM stays constant. If you follow an impeller curve from 1250 GPM to 100 GPM at the same RPM there is less than only about a 25 PSI rise. Which is also the allowable amount of rise per the NFPA standard for a pressure controlling device. I would have no problem using my govenor in the RPM mode until I could get the problem corrected.

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

The ones on our two Suthpens at my volly department ('98 and '01) have not given any problmems to date, but we will definitely keep an eye on them. Thanks for the heads up.

MembersZone Subscriber

My station hasn't had any trouble with the govner and some of our trucks are at that age

Thread Information