Default ney yorker issues

Hey all,
    I got a Leather New Yorker last june and have been using it ever since I have only been to a couple of fires and the paint on the brim has Cracked up soo bad that its just flaking off. Now everyone i know whos gotten one of the new cairns helmets has this problem, everyone with older ones doesnt, whats the issue is there a way to prevent it any? Will the paint settle down with the humididty latly? any input/advise would help. thanx crew.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

There have been problems with these for a while, best bet is to either repaint it or strip and repaint it with high heat paint. It is only going to get worse.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

most new yorkers I have seen do this
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

It happens but I wouldn't charaterize it as "most" having this problem. If you are talking about the egde around the brim cracking and not the flat surfaces then this is just normal wear and tear...

However if there are large flat areas of the brim (most likely topside of the brim) then your paint job didn't stick. I know a few guys who have used a bead blaster to remove the bad paint....sand lightly to give it some rough grip and re-primed and repainted it.

could you post some pics?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flaky Helmets

If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will gladly do it as I'm having the same problem.

Pic attached is for test purposes only... rather obviously not my noggin protector
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Warranty Expired

There you go FFFred, some pics..

New Yorker, just over a year old.. subject to a little above ambient warmth, but nothing too drastic.. Paint is flaking off.. some small patches, some obviously larger... Helmet is well cared for, always properly cleaned after use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information