Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thermal Imager Costs

Help please! Can anyone provide some insight to what is a "reasonable" cost for a TIC. My numbers and quotes are all over the board. We are a rural community, we have never owned one. Our call volume averages 175/year. Fire and extrication only, no medicals except EMS assists.

Also, any narrative suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

Default Just a price??

Well if your just looking at different prices, we bought a Scott 160 last year for right at $10,500.

Forum Member

They limited us to $12,000.00.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

AFD...The prices still range a bit depending on what you want....anywhere from the low $9,000 range to around $20,000. We got one on last year's grant and we priced the Bullard T3 Max and the MSA Evolution...both were around the low to mid $9,000 range. Then I have seen the older style Bullard (Tix) for around 20 grand, but that was with all the bells and whistles (transmitter, remote monitor, etc.). Also, that was 3 or 4 years ago...prices may have come down a bit. It's reasonable to expect you can get a good one with all the necessary options (truck mount charger, etc. for around $10,000. I think the AFG cap for TI's is $12,000, as bw4907 mentioned.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

We did get the T3 MAX with transmitter, receiver and a 5" moniter for $11,999.00

MembersZone Subscriber

Got an ISG K80 with truck charger/mount and spare battery and carrying case for 9,100.00..
    Matt Griffin
    Chief
    Eastern Chilton County Division of Fire, Rescue, and EMS, Station 91.

Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar

Default NJ got lucky,some companies

Well my state gave each company,from what I'm told a TIC, we did also.. Hence, since most companies in our state run more than 2 vehicles, most of us need another TIC because for certain calls we run certain vehicles. But since the state gave each department 1(one) TIC we cannot go for one in a grant.

Default Re: NJ got lucky,some companies

Originally posted by AsstEngineer292
    Well my state gave each company,from what I'm told a TIC, we did also.. Hence, since most companies in our state run more than 2 vehicles, most of us need another TIC because for certain calls we run certain vehicles. But since the state gave each department 1(one) TIC we cannot go for one in a grant.

We had a similar problem. On the FireAct grant the number of imagers you can request depends on your population served, I forget the numbers. We only qualified for 1. I would have liked to get 2 because , as you said, different apparatus will roll on different calls. For example, our first out engine for fires does not roll on MVA's...I would like to have the TI on MVA's in case of ejections, stuff like that. Also, it would be good to have 2 units so RIT team can have one at its disposal while the other one is being used by the team inside.

Well, one is better than none....we're definitely better off than we used to be. Have to work on finding some funding for a second one someday.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

DHS limits the number of thermal imagers in the application, not in the department. Just because the state gave you one doesn't mean you can't apply for another one with the AFG. Large structure fires, RIT, multiple incidents at once, all require more than one TIC, as all y'all stated. The narrative writes itself for such things.

Forum Member

We got a SCOTT EAGLE 160 without the transmitter for $11,500 so you may want to put in $12,000 so that you will have room to play with.

Default Re: Re: NJ got lucky,some companies

Originally posted by dmleblanc

We had a similar problem. On the FireAct grant the number of imagers you can request depends on your population served, I forget the numbers. We only qualified for 1. I would have liked to get 2 because , as you said, different apparatus will roll on different calls.For example, our first out engine for fires does not roll on MVA's...I would like to have the TI on MVA's in case of ejections, stuff like that. Also, it would be good to have 2 units so RIT team can have one at its disposal while the other one is being used by the team inside.

Well, one is better than none....we're definitely better off than we used to be. Have to work on finding some funding for a second one someday.
    What I underlined in my view is the MOST critical issue today about getting TICs. Because some engines run certain calls and you can't always expect a sister company to have one, they may bring the engine or truck that DOESN'T have it so I thought that each engine/ladder/rescue no matter how many vehicles your station has, should each have 1(one) TIC unless you have 3 or more vehicles that respond to all calls and at least ONE of the vehicles would have a TIC.

AsstEngineer292,

or you could mount the TIC in a charger at the building (not in a truck) and grab it before you get on either of the trucks instead of leaving it sitting in the truck at the building. Not the best solution, but an idea.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Our city budgeted about 10 grand for one a couple of years ago, then after trying all of em out (Bullard, MSA, ect), we decided we wanted the MSA Evolution (the big one) cuz it had a better picture in daylight....Come to find out it cost around 14 grand for that one as opposed to the 10 grand we saw in prices for different models, so we had to wait a year so that we could add another 4 grand to the budget....turned out to be the right thing to do. We're really happy with it.

Originally posted by Bones42
    AsstEngineer292,

or you could mount the TIC in a charger at the building (not in a truck) and grab it before you get on either of the trucks instead of leaving it sitting in the truck at the building. Not the best solution, but an idea.
    We did toy around with that idea...Still might do it...drawbacks...1) Might forget to grab it, and 2)our doors stay open when we go out on a call....if it's not a call where we think we'll need it (EMS call or something) someone could walk in and lift it pretty easily. (Don't know what they'd do with it, but that never stopped a thief before )

Still another option....I have thought about mounting it just inside the rear door of the crew cab on the engine...which is parked right next to the rescue....you could reach in and grab it if you needed it to respond on the rescue. Probably tick off my resident handyman after he did such a neat job wiring it up and mounting it on the engine cover .
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Originally posted by Bones42
    AsstEngineer292,

Well we have it mounted in our new engine,2923. It runs 1st out NO MATTER WHAT. It's mounted right between the driver and officer ontop of the engine housing and there is still room to maintain and engine from inside with the TI there. But what I'm saying is if my engine has its TI in use and another is needed on a dwelling like our sister company would run their tanker,while their TI is on their engine used 1st out for MVAs. But we usually get another station with a truck that has another TI in case.

most of us need another TIC because for certain calls we run certain vehicles.
    It runs 1st out NO MATTER WHAT.
    My headache is coming back.

ameryfd, what model you get for $14k? MSA 4100 in December for under $9k complete with truck mount/charger (no transmitter toys)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Time...short...must...not....m ince...words....

(Read it like Captain Kirk is talking, adds to the drama.)

Just because you got a grant for a TIC last year doesn't mean you can't apply for another one this year. Lots of support out there for needing at least 2 on a fireground: can't depend on quick mutual aid, RIT, taking the lone TIC out of district for another call, la, la, la.

Yes I'm getting punchy. All grant and no sleep makes Brian stranger than normal. Lucky for my last 4 applicants this puts me in the ZONE. Y'all better have been good with your apps I got the A game goin' on.

Oh yeah: ask for $10K, maybe you can get 2 TICs. How? Demos go for around $5k on most models, after being refurbed and coming with a full warranty. Since you can spend up to $5K of excess funds, buy the demo first, then see about spending the extra. Ask before you do it, they might quash it because of the resident limit, but technically that only applies to the application, not what happens afterwards. It's the government, there's always a loophole....

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up TIC COST

THANK YOU to all that took time to reply. I know everyone in this is kinda busy right know.

good luck to all.

Thread Information