Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

You have less respect for him than a scumbag like Barry Bonds? You have got to be kidding.

You have less respect for him than the classless, prideless thing you call a baseball team up there?

They look good, they act like a team and they don't play in the dirt like the Red Sox.

PS: Does anyone else think that Manny looks like Venus Williams with the beads?
    WOW!!!I think you need to take your own advice from an earlier post. Your hysterical hate is unbecoming.

As for A-Rod, nothing he has done upsets me. I just formed an opinion of him after that play. It was "bush league" all the way, but it was his reaction to the call that showed me his "best" side. He just stood there in disbelief that a call was actually going AGAINST the Yankees at Yankee Stadium! It was his pompous, arrogant, self-righteous attitude that got in the way of accepting what you admit was the correct call.

Do you remember, a few years ago, after a playoff game at Yankee Stadium against the Red Sox, the interview of an umpire that said he thought "Knobby" tagged the runner out(I believe it was Jose Offerman?) going to second base? He clearly missed him but it was nice to know the umpires call the Yankees by their knicknames.

Also, that same season, in the playoffs at Yankee Stadium, a fan reached over the right field wall and pulled in a hit by the Yankees. It was ruled a homerun for New York but everyone knew it was a ground rule double. There are probably countless more examples, I'm just glad that the calls were made correctly this past season. Maybe, with this history of "home field advantage," A-Rod thought he could get away with another one.

His stats. are pretty impressive. I guess I'm questioning his character more than his Hall of Fame stats. Right or wrong, Pete Rose also has Hall of Fame stats., but because of character issues, he may never make it in.

BTW- I never mentioned Barry Bonds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by manofire2
    I watched the season opener and the Yankees indeed look like they have a lineup that will be tough to beat.

I was very glad to see(and hear) the reception given to Tino Martinez. Tino is one of the classiest guys in the game and it was great to see the ovation he got from the NY fans. I had the pleasure of seeing Tino play many times during his Triple A days with the Calgary Cannons. He was first class even at a young age.

I would rather see him as the starting first baseman than Giambi. The Yankee fans may be able to forgive him for using steroids but I am not as forgiving. I wonder if Barry Bonds fessed up and admitted to steroid use if the NY fans would be as forgiving.
    I posted this once before.

My son is a huge Tino fan. We went to see Tino's first game back to NY with the Cardinals at the minor league stadium, Shea Stadium.

Tino was deluged by fans with requests to sign. All during BP, he signed. When the Mets took the field for BP, he sat in the photogs box on the first base line and signed-for like 90 minutes. When the Mets BP was over, Security came over and chased the fans away. Tino told them to come over by the dugout. He signed next to the dugout until Security chased the fans away.

For about fifteen minutes, Tino sent the batboy up into the stands to collect more stuff and bring it to him in the dugout. The batboy then brought it back to the fans waiting on the main aisle.

Tino is an example of everything that is good about baseball. Compare him to Manny and you will see why I am so repulsed by that pig.

Forum Member

a better, more motivated team with better and more consistent pitching.
    at that time. Last years playoff and series showed that you don't have to be the best all year, just the best at the right time. You just need to be good enough to get there.

I would rather have seen the Yankess/Red Sox series go game by game instead of 3 this way and 4 this way. 1 up and then tied would have been more exciting.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Originally posted by Bones42

I would rather have seen the Yankess/Red Sox series go game by game instead of 3 this way and 4 this way. 1 up and then tied would have been more exciting.
    Not for a Red Sox fan! Getting beat, badly I may add, 3 straight games was very demoralizing(especially Game 3 at Fenway). But, to then win 4 straight was The Greatest come back in Sports History! It doesn't get much better than that!

CORRECTION: Although it wasn't as dramatic, actually winning the World Series is better than that!

Forum Member

Originally posted by RESERVE172
    Not for a Red Sox fan! Getting beat, badly I may add, 3 straight games was very demoralizing(especially Game 3 at Fenway). But, to then win 4 straight was The Greatest come back in Sports History! It doesn't get much better than that!
    "The Greatest come back in Sports History"

Only if you are a Red Sox fan.

For hockey fans the greatest comeback could be Toronto coming back from a 3-0 deficit to beat Detroit, which as someone who has played both sports I would have to say that coming back from 3-0 in hockey is more difficult than in baseball.

How about Seabisquit coming back from injuries to beat War Admiral.

My personal choice for the "Greatest Comeback" would be Mario Lemieux coming back from cancer to lead Canada to the Gold medal in the Salt Lake City Olympics.

It's all a matter of perspective.

I was lucky enough to get tickets for todays game - was a fantastic game, all tied up at the bottom of the ninth, then Jeter steps up and belts one over the fence to win the game for the Yankees! What a great game! And boy did we give the RedSox fans some curry

MembersZone Subscriber

Where did you sit? It's a great place isn't it? If you get to see only one other BB game in the US, get up to Fenway. It is just as special as The Big Ballyard in the Bronx.

Manny made his mark yesterday. According to the NYPD, there were 14 fans injured when they fell down laughing during his second straight 0-4, 2 K performance. It's also interesting to watch the "Look at me, I'm Manny!" performance by Renteria.

I must agree that Manny looks pathetic so far. But there were a few bright spots from yesterday's game for the Red Sox.

One was the fact that the Red Sox are still the only team to really hit well against Mariano Rivera. While he is a dominating pitcher, it seems like the Red Sox are the only team to figure him out.
    Also encouraging was the fact that Boston's 7-8-9 hitters went 6 for 12 compared to New York's, 1 for 11 and killed three rallies.

THIS JUST IN - Red Sox Manager Terry Fracona has been taken to a NYC hospital complaining of chest pains. He will miss today's game.

Forum Member

Talking

7 to 3 BOSTON, Bottom of the 9th in Yankee Stadium.

Get well Terry!!!!!

A-ROD = E-6

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you imagine the ****ing and moaning that would be going on if the Yankee pitchers hit Ortiz twice (in consecutive at bats) and then hit Varitek in the head?

But, because they have class, you won't hear a word out of the Yankees.

Manny still sucks.

Forum Member

Thank you A-Rod for screwing up that routine ground ball.

Oh well.
    159 more games to go.
    I beleive at least 16 w/ the Red Sox.

Should be a good year.

Go Yankees.

Forum Member

Paraphrasing a post by IrishFire13
    Thank you A-Rod for screwing up that routine ground ball!

Oh well.
    159 more games to go.
    I beleive at least 16 w/ the Red Sox.

Should be a good year.

Go Red Sox!

Bwahahahahahaha!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Has anyone seen the replay of the A-Rod error? (TeeHee -- A-Rod error, I love the sound of that!) Seriously, is that only one error or two? 1 Bobble and drop = 1 error, 2 Bobbles and drops = 2 errors!!! He cost Rivera a save and the Yankees the game. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

GO RED SOX !

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone seen the replay of the A-Rod error? (TeeHee -- A-Rod error, I love the sound of that!) Seriously, is that only one error or two? 1 Bobble and drop = 1 error, 2 Bobbles and drops = 2 errors!!! He cost Rivera a save and the Yankees the game. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

GO RED SOX !
    Jeepers, according to the box scores, Damon had an error (hair got in his eyes) and Renteria had an error. For a moment, I thought that the Sox played three errorless games.

A-Rod did not cost Rivera a save. Rivera cost Rivera a save. He got himself into a bases loaded jam with no outs. That was hardly A-Rod's fault.

My major knock on the Red Sox fans has been that they put more effort into hating the Yankees than they do loving their own team. I saw two games up there last year (Indians and Tigers). At both of those games, half the fans were wearing anti-Yankee clothing. Go to Yankee Stadium when the Red Sox aren't there. Yankee fans are not even thinking about the Red Sox. Go back and read all the posts from Red Sox fans on this thread. The overwhelming majority of them are anti-Yankee. That is pathetic. Do you have anything good to say about your team?

Manny got a single today. He'll probably go out and get high tonight.

Forum Member

I love my Red Sox... and respect the Yankees.

They aren't all angels, you know...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Well George, ya have to excuse the Dead Sox .. ooops sorrry ... Red Sox fans for being a tad cynical. It really isn't very easy at all always having to look up at 1st place.........

I might be living in NASCAR (and Tiger) country ... but I was born and grew up in Yankee country.

Talking

NO error was more damaging to either team in this series than the A-Rod error today.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and defend A-Rod all you want. He is to the Yankees as you say Manny is to the Red Sox.

The Yankees are not just another American League team. I believe they are more of a concern to the Red Sox and their fans simply because they are division rivals and have been for as long as I've been alive. With the Wild Card now part of the game, the rivalry is even more intense.

You can't tell me Yankees' fans never wore their "1918" T-shirts or Nomar T-shirts or anything to do with Boston, other than at a Red Sox game.

I guess the Red Sox fans are just more passionate about their team.

Forum Member

I might be living in NASCAR (and Tiger) country ... but I was born and grew up in Yankee country.
    That's right!

Boston may be close, but we all know that New England supports the YANKEES.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

My major knock on the Red Sox fans has been that they put more effort into hating the Yankees than they do loving their own team. I saw two games up there last year (Indians and Tigers). At both of those games, half the fans were wearing anti-Yankee clothing.
    DON'T YOU SEE GEORGE? This is all part of how the fans express their support, love and passion for the Red Sox. It's a "RED SOX Nation" thing. Being a Yankees fan, you have become spoiled and complacent. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Originally posted by Res343cue

That's right!
    And am I correct in assuming you are a Montreal Canadiens fan as well?

Forum Member

That's right!

Being from a New England state not bordered on any side by an ocean makes "Vermonters" a little "strange"
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

And am I correct in assuming you are a Montreal Canadiens fan as well?
    Nah. I don't watch Hokcey. I'm a Lacrosse fan. Used to like basketball, but the passed couple years have sucked.

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Being from a New England state not bordered on any side by an ocean makes "Vermonters" a little "strange"
    I think it's all the salt water you guys get exposed to that makes you the "strange" ones.

Nah. I don't watch Hokcey. I'm a Lacrosse fan.
    You can't spell it either LMAO!!!

So you live in New England but are a Yankees fan. So are you at least a Patriots fan or do you prefer The J.,E.,T.,S., Jets, Jets, Jets!? (easier to spell )
    Last edited by RESERVE172; 04-07-2005 at 01:51 AM.

Thread Information