Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RESERVE172
    George, you didn't read carefully. I said:

His ACTION was unprofessional.

His REACTION was pompous, arrogant and self-righteous.

But don't get too upset, I feel the same way about Manny after the way he handled himself against the Yankees when he felt they were trying to hit him in the head. He completely over-reacted and made himself look like a complete jackass!
    One incident does not make a man.

That was the point of my previous post. If it was Manny instead of Jeter, he would have charged the mound. Not a doubt in mind. He is a classless thug.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

One incident does not make a man.

That was the point of my previous post. If it was Manny instead of Jeter, he would have charged the mound. Not a doubt in mind. He is a classless thug.
    OK, I will concede the classless thug opinion. But is he a thug or just a child? And how do you feel about Pedro?

BTW- Where do the Yankees play this weekend?

MembersZone Subscriber

Manny is an ingrateful, classless thug. Here's another incident. I think it was two years ago, the Yankees were in Boston to play the Red Sox over Labor Day weekend. My wife and I took the Sat. game in as our first experience in Fenway. Petite pitched and won. However...

Manny decided to sit it out because he was "ill". So ill, that some his friends from the Yankees had to go pay their condolences to him in the bar at the Ritz Carlton-where Manny lives.

A Yankee series in September with both teams fighting for the top spot. And Manny, arguably you're star, is too ill to play? Jeter would have trieds to play with two broken legs!

And the Yankees will be playing a tough series this weekend in Boston. The Red Sox will be rightfully celebrating something they waited a long time for and something that most of them will likely not see again in their lifetime.

Why? What does that have to do with anything?

PS: You're ignoring the hit batters scenario.

MembersZone Subscriber

I almnost forgot. Now that Pedro is playing minor league baseball, he is not so much as a trivia question to me.

He is also an egocentric thug. His first press conference with the Mets featured several words repeated over and over again: Me, I, My. He cares about the Mets as much as I do, which is not at all.

What is his legacy? Attacking a 80 year old man? Throwing at opposing batter's heads? Choking in the big games?

OK, George, do you read and remember only what you want from these posts or are you just slow?
    I don't believe I'm ignoring the hit batters scenario.

Again, in a previous post, I said I concede the classless thug opinion of Manny. If it was Manny instead of Jeter, he probably WOULD have charged the mound.
    Again, in another previous post, I said I felt he over-reacted in the past and made himself look like a jackass. Manny is NOT nor will he ever be like Jeter and I have never said otherwise.

I remember last year when Jeter, while diving for a foul ball down the third base line, ended up in the stands, literally, and bruising his face. It was a great effort and showed everyone what he was made of.
    But I also remember a few Yankee players having to face criminal charges in a Boston courthouse because they assaulted a Red Sox employee working in the bull-pen during a game at Fenway!!! These guys are as classless as Manny! Don't even argue that the Yankees have more class than the Red Sox, because in the end, both teams have moments they regret.

P.S.- My question as to where/who are the Yankees playing this weekend was serious. They don't play in Boston until Monday.

P.P.S.- My question about Pedro was only to get your blood pressure up. I guess I succeeded!

MembersZone Subscriber

Please. Don't you think the deck was a little stacked? Aside from the officers, who if you believe the BPD incident reports (available online-I forget where, but I saw it on a Google search), did not hear what Williams said to Nelson, there were no witnesses except for those fans sitting in the left field bleachers. Do you honestly think that they would have said anything to back up the Yankees? Of course not.

I know, I know, they dropped the charges against Williams. Of course they did. They had no evidence.

If this is the best you can do, it's not much.

You didn't get my BP up with the Pedro thing. I don't even think about him. He plays on a minor league team.

Please. Don't you think the deck was a little stacked?
    Aside from the officers, who if you believe the BPD incident reports (available online-I forget where, but I saw it on a Google search), did not hear what Williams said to Nelson, there were no witnesses except for those fans sitting in the left field bleachers. Do you honestly think that they would have said anything to back up the Yankees? Of course not.
    Well George, the truth is, your classy New York Yankees should have known better. What city it happened in had nothing to do with the fact that the players were out of line.
    Also, for someone who has been to Fenway so many times, the bull-pens are in right field, not left.

quote:
    I know, I know, they dropped the charges against Williams. Of course they did. They had no evidence.
    There was plenty of evidence. Evidence agaist the Yankees that is! TV cameras caught the Yankees kicking the crap out of the guy!!!

quote:
    It's not much? Well I don't ever remember the classless Red Sox getting arrested and facing criminal charges in a NYC courthouse!

quote:
    You didn't get my BP up with the Pedro thing. I don't even think about him. He plays on a minor league team. Please, you are full of enough hot air for an entire bagpipe band!

Forum Member

My major knock on the Red Sox fans has been that they put more effort into hating the Yankees than they do loving their own team. I saw two games up there last year (Indians and Tigers). At both of those games, half the fans were wearing anti-Yankee clothing. Go to Yankee Stadium when the Red Sox aren't there. Yankee fans are not even thinking about the Red Sox. Go back and read all the posts from Red Sox fans on this thread. The overwhelming majority of them are anti-Yankee. That is pathetic. Do you have anything good to say about your team?

Although I actually agree with most of the things you are saying in this thread, I couldn't resist just one little shot.

In the above quote you blast Red Sox fans for being more anti Yankee that pro Red Sox(I agree with you that sucks). However later in this thread you talk about Ranger fans shouting Potvin sucks at every game. What I'ld like to know which is worse, cheering against your biggest rival or cheering against a guy who's been retired for 20 years (by the way I never liked Potvin either).

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by manofire2

Although I actually agree with most of the things you are saying in this thread, I couldn't resist just one little shot.

In the above quote you blast Red Sox fans for being more anti Yankee that pro Red Sox(I agree with you that sucks). However later in this thread you talk about Ranger fans shouting Potvin sucks at every game. What I'ld like to know which is worse, cheering against your biggest rival or cheering against a guy who's been retired for 20 years (by the way I never liked Potvin either).
    I don't know if you have ever been to either MAdison Square Garden or Yankee Stadium for a game. But if you had been to both, you would realize that there is a wide chasm of difference between the two team's fans. Ranger fans are crazy. They appreciate good hockey, no matter who is playing. I never heard the great ones booed in that building. But if they don't like you, OMG!

You see, they don't just shout it out. Several fans will whistle a little tune, following which several thousand fans chant "Potvin sucks!" in unison. It's unbelievable. It's also completely irrational. But they're Ranger fans.

Also, Yankee fans are different today than they were back in the Bronx Zoo days. I still have my "Boston Sucks" button I bought at the Stadium in 1976. You have never heard anything until you have heard about 56,000 people chanting "Boston Sucks". I was there one night for a Boston game when they had a fight in the Right field upper deck. They tore the railings out of the concrete, ripped up seats and set a fire. It was bedlam.

Today, it is much more sedate, much more fan and family (rich family) friendly. You rarely see any anti-Boston stuff, even when they are in.

I guess it just proves the hypothesis that New York fans are higher up the evolutionary chain than Red Sox fans.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RESERVE172

Well George, the truth is, your classy New York Yankees should have known better. What city it happened in had nothing to do with the fact that the players were out of line.
    Also, for someone who has been to Fenway so many times, the bull-pens are in right field, not left.

quote:
    There was plenty of evidence. Evidence agaist the Yankees that is! TV cameras caught the Yankees kicking the crap out of the guy!!!

quote:
    It's not much? Well I don't ever remember the classless Red Sox getting arrested and facing criminal charges in a NYC courthouse!

quote:
    You didn't get my BP up with the Pedro thing. I don't even think about him. He plays on a minor league team. Please, you are full of enough hot air for an entire bagpipe band!
    1. You're right. The bullpen is in right field. I didn't say otherwise. I was talking about the fans with the view of the bullpen.

2. You know, we were having a nice spirited debate about a subject we were both passionate about, then, when you are osing, you start throwing insults. I'm done. Have fun having this discussion by yourself.

Are you taking your ball and going home?

I still love you George

Originally posted by manofire2

If you read George's reply to this question, you need an interpretation. It's called "George's Double Standard"!

Forum Member

I used to think that Yankee fans were obnoxious but next to Red Sox fans they are down right humble.

What I would like to know is are we going to have to put up with the chest thumping for another 96 years?

You call it obnoxious, we call it passion! Are Red Sox fans not allowed to "chest thump"? I think after all these years, we deserve it. We have stood loyally and passionately by our team for an extremely longggggg time and now some people want to rain on our parade and take the glory away.

I remember this team being SO close(sometimes as close as one strike), so many times before. Although I was too young to understand what happened in 1967, I do remember 1975 against The Reds, I remember when Yaz popped up to end the 1978 season(against the Yankees), I remember Billy Buckner's error in 1986 against the Mets and the seemingly endless heartache that followed, I remember the disappointment of 1999 and most recently, Boone's walk-off homerun in 2003 to win it for the Yankees.

The Red Sox, for decades, have been chasing the Yankees and have been coming up just short. Some have gone so far as to call it "The Curse of The Bambino"-- in reference to the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees. The Yankees have won 26 World Series to Boston's 6. So when they finally beat them, especially in the way they did it(losing 3 straight only to come back and win the next 4), it was a release of 86 years of frustration and disappointment! It is impossible for me and other Red Sox fans to try to describe that release and the over-whelming emotions that came with it!!!
    Then, surprisingly, they finished the job and defeated the St.Louis Cardinals in 4 straight games to finally win their first World Series since 1918! 1918 was a long time ago! It was so fulfilling!

So unless you are a true Red Sox fan and have experienced this long, roller coaster ride of "Red Sox Nation", then please step aside and allow us to enjoy this unfamiliar feeling of true and complete happiness!
    Last edited by RESERVE172; 04-09-2005 at 01:24 PM.
    Caffeine is the key to motivation!

Forum Member

Enjoy it, revel in it.

Just keep it to yourselves, it's a new season.

It's unbelievable. It's also completely irrational.
    It has even crept into Devils games.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Talking

TODAY IS OPENING DAY FOR THE RED SOX AT FENWAY PARK! It's 45 degrees, it's a beautiful, sunny day in Boston, The Sox are playing the Yankees and best of all, they get their World Series banner and rings!!! No matter where you live, what a great day to be a Boston Red Sox fan!!!

After a wonderful and yes, even classy ceremony celebrating the Red Sox 2004 season, the Sox also handled the Yanks 8-1 in their Fenway home opener.

One highlight of the day happened in the game when A-Rod committed his second error of the season (both against the Sox) and allowed the game to get away from the Yanks. . Another was in the opening ceremony, when the fans gave a round of (sarcastic) applause to Mariano Rivera but a genuine and sincere applause to Yankees Manager Joe Torre. It was a good day.

Both the Red Sox and Yankees are 3-4 after 7 games to start the 2005 season.

Good video of the Ring Ceremony can be found at:
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Talking

I know it's very early in the season and that this is not likely to last very long but isn't it great to see the Yankees and the Red Sox tied for last place in the American League East.

Thread Information