MembersZone Subscriber

Default South Beach Diet

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE SOUTH BEACH DIET BEFORE? I AM THINKING ABOUT TRYING IT TO LOSE ABOUT 30lbs. I WANT TO HEAR SOME FEED BACK BEFORE I TRY IT. IF ANYONE HAS ANY BETTER DIETS OR FOOD/EXCERCISE PLANS LET ME KNOW.

THANKS
    DON

MembersZone Subscriber

I would take a look at "The Abs Diet" before considering any others. I believe it is the most reasonable outlook on nutrition. I think the Men's Health website has a synopsis of it to look at before you buy the book.

Eric

Forum Member

What with this south beach diet? Is this effective?

Forum Member

I would look into P90X or Insanity workouts and follow those programs and the diet that goes with them. South Beach is a decent diet but it is a diet and not a fitness program that will serve you better.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
    I would take a look at "The Abs Diet" before considering any others. I believe it is the most reasonable outlook on nutrition. I think the Men's Health website has a synopsis of it to look at before you buy the book.

Eric
    I Love the abs diet because it's really not a diet. Check amazon you can order a used copy cheap.

Forum Member

I have not tried it , but a friend of mine do so . And the results were really good .
    So a vote from me .
    chino hills boot camp
    Last edited by Palmeri; 03-19-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Forum Member

I would recommend educating yourself on nutrition. If you can understand what's bad for you and why, you will have self discipline to watch what you eat, rather than following orders. Not all diets are universal. If you're in the fire service your going to have to watch some of these diets that make you cut so much in your diet. When you get to physical activities, you may not have any energy. Educate yourself so you will know what is good for you.

For fire service and being physically active, and you want to follow something go for P90x, insanity, or something along those lines.

Here's my easy steps to lose weight: #1 don't drink soda. #2 don't eat fast food (if you do get grilled chicken and no fries) #3 cut fried foods as much as possible. #4 EXERCISE - get your heart rate up and keep it up for at least 30-60 min a day. #5 don't eat candy and sweets. only eat stuff that is going to fuel your body and not have excess junk in it for flavor and what not.

This is a proven effort. Guys in my dept have followed my 5 steps (aka nagging) and are shedding the weight. Guys who thought they could only lose 10 lbs have lost 40. Guys 40+ in the best shape of their life...

Get active. Get educated. Get fit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    I would look into P90X or Insanity workouts and follow those programs and the diet that goes with them. South Beach is a decent diet but it is a diet and not a fitness program that will serve you better.
    I own both programs and this is defiantly the route to go. As long as you stick to exactly what they say you will see results. Be warned it's no easy task completing these workouts but the payoff is well worth it.

Forum Member

Hi fellows there,
    I also wanna need this kind of the information about the foods... Will any body there have some kind of the full detailed post's mentioned here please........????

Forum Member

Not sure what exactly it is you're asking for...

You want a diet plan?

Forum Member

Simple nutritional lifestyle - very good for firefighters:

Plenty of lean meats (protein)
    Plenty of veggies
    Plenty of healthy fats
    Some fruit
    Lots of water
    Wise use of starch (yams, etc.)
    Limit the sugar!

If you follow this above...err on the side of getting plenty of food, as opposed to a deficit. Pretty hard to get fat when eating healthy.

Unless you're bulking and on a strength cycle...stay the F away from High Fructose Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, limit the soy, limit the bread...etc.

Do this and you'll be fine (in my personal experience, at least).

(don't forget to drink beer and coffee now and then)

(and ice cream)

(round box, not square box)

(duh)
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 03-31-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Forum Member

Look also at the Paleo Diet, instead of South Beach Diet. Got introduced to it last year when I started cross fit, and now it my lifestyle. A good book to also read is Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhram. I have noticed that I have more energy, and even gave up coffee on a daily basis. Once in blue moon would have a cup of black coffee when I would get slammed on a 48 hr shift on the box, and boy does the coffee really kick in. My opinion on carbs, is that it really makes your parasympathetic kick in, and that is part of the reason you would feel so tired after eating. Paleo Diet/Lifestyle has worked for me, and is still working. Do a google search of "Paleo Diet or Caveman Diet" and u can read up on what to eat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Medic3.19 View Post
    Look also at the Paleo Diet, instead of South Beach Diet. Got introduced to it last year when I started cross fit, and now it my lifestyle. A good book to also read is Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhram. I have noticed that I have more energy, and even gave up coffee on a daily basis. Once in blue moon would have a cup of black coffee when I would get slammed on a 48 hr shift on the box, and boy does the coffee really kick in. My opinion on carbs, is that it really makes your parasympathetic kick in, and that is part of the reason you would feel so tired after eating. Paleo Diet/Lifestyle has worked for me, and is still working. Do a google search of "Paleo Diet or Caveman Diet" and u can read up on what to eat.
    ironic you mention this. my doc told me at my last physical i could stand to lose a lb or two. she said to "eat for my blood type" Im O+ . which is one of the oldest blood types to our species. which would make the diet your referencing make sense. since i have cut out surgars, wheats, presevatives, i feel better, losing some weight, and just all around feeling healthier.

Forum Member

I have to agree with some of the above posts regarding nutrition. I don't believe in "diets", but definitely believe in just changing the way you eat. Your body is a machine - eating is supposed to fuel it to run efficiently. Most people eat for what food tastes like with very little thought about what it's actually going to contribute to your body.

I just try to eat "clean" - meaning, no processed foods, nothing that comes out of a can or a wrapper or a box. Lots of fresh meats (chicken and fish more than red meat), veggies, berries, good nuts (almonds, etc), whole grains (oatmeal is my friend - lol), and alot of egg white omelettes. I do sometimes bend and have some Greek yogurt, when I need some variety....but I try to stay away from anything with refined sugars in it.

I would look around the web for some body building sites if you are really interested in nutrition and how to eat to fuel yourself. Weight lifters and people who compete in fitness are the best source I have found for advice on what to eat and when, learning about macros, etc.....and of course, a lot of good work-out advice.

But...just for starters, common sense and eating clean can go a loooong way.

Forum Member

MY wife have the experience but she also use jack 3d and phentermine with dieting programs and she really got good results and loss 15 lbs just in two months.

Thread Information