41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 4.88%
  • no

33 80.49%
  • yes, with conditions

6 14.63%
    Forum Member

Question Does your dept. hire convicted felons?

We do, as long as it isn't arson, a violent or sexual crime. I've seen inmate firefighters bust thier asses on a fire line.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

former FH.com member

Hell no, it's hard enough to get on here even with a squeaky clean background.

Forum Member

Our Mayor gives you extra credit if you have a felony. Go figure.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

if you have a felony then you have to go before the cheifs for a meeting explaining what happen. we have a guy that was a known arsonist on our station now. i belive people change and if you made a mistake before it doesn' t mean you will make it agian. hell everyone deserves a second chance. this certin guy works harder then half the people at the station. if the person knows they made a mistake and you know it will not happen agian the yea they should be able to get on.
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

Originally posted by dragonslayer22
    if you have a felony then you have to go before the cheifs for a meeting explaining what happen. we have a guy that was a known arsonist on our station now. i belive people change and if you made a mistake before it doesn' t mean you will make it agian. hell everyone deserves a second chance. this certin guy works harder then half the people at the station. if the person knows they made a mistake and you know it will not happen agian the yea they should be able to get on.
    I agree with you. Everyone deserves a second chance. well pending what the felony is....
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Originally posted in "Past DUI, Do I stand a chance?"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey pal. Get a few more and make it a felony. Our mayor has a big second chance program for convicted felons. And what if you are already employeed here? A couple of years ago we had the OSHA guy, yes the same guy that refers people with 'problems' to EAP, crash his car while running from the police for driving drunk in his city issued car. What does it spell? Promotion.

Let me know where you would like the application sent.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

depends on what happened

Disillusioned Subscriber

Default Nope

Effective sometime in 2003, under Ohio law, a felon cannot be appointed to the position of firefighter if it's discovered on a criminal background check. If they have been provisionally appointed pending receipt of that background check, they have to be discharged when the check is returned with a felony.

Additionally, I don't believe you can receive either the initial certification or any pertinent recertifications (ie EMT, Paramedic) if you have a felony or a conviction involving a crime of moral terpitude on your record.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I know its the law but I know a guy that wanted to be a firefighter but when they done a background they found out he had a felony, it was for child support. I don't see why they wouldn't let you be a firefighter for that, but I know its the law in Ohio but I don't agree with it. Like I said before it all depends on what the felony is, for this one the non payment of child support was previous he pays now, but on another hand if you had one for lets say something a lot worse maybe involving a life of someone or something then its a little different.
    Last edited by backdraft663; 04-04-2005 at 03:03 PM.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

a felony, it was for child support
    Never knew lack of child support payments was a felony.

we have a guy that was a known arsonist on our station now
    No chance in h@ll. There is no way a convicted arsonist could ever deserve a chance as a trusted fire fighter.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Early Adopter

I think everyone should be given a second chance of some sort... especially if they have served all aspects of their punishment -- jail time, probation, parole, etc. However, there are some exceptions to this rule... Child sex offenders don't belong near children and arsonists don't belong in the fire department.

As part of our application process we as for a basic back ground and references from previous departments the applicant was a member of. All we ask is for their honesty about their past.

We recently had a man apply for our volunteer crew, simple enough. Review their application, an interview with the leadership, we call their references, and then the members vote at two consecutive monthly meetings.

On the application their was nothing, during the interview nothing, BUT, when the references were cantacted TADA ! arson charges.

It's one thing to have a dark past but when you try to hide it and lie about it.

I'll trust a reformed honest psychotic murderer to watch my back before a coward lying jay walker.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by cozmosis
    I think everyone should be given a second chance of some sort... especially if they have served all aspects of their punishment -- jail time, probation, parole, etc. However, there are some exceptions to this rule... Child sex offenders don't belong near children and arsonists don't belong in the fire department.
    agreed.
    its really a case by case deal on are department. They look at how long ago it was, run a background check to see if you have been in anymore trouble.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have been convicted of a felony and want to be a FF, have it expunged. If it can't be expunged, well then it sucks to be you.

How many FD's do not have candidates beating the door down when there is a test or an opening? Hardly any. Being a FF is a privelege and if you have screwed up that privelege, it still sucks to be you.

Forum Member

Nope. In Fla, you cant get your state fire, EMT or paramedic certs with a felony record, and you have to have FF/EMT or FF/Paramedic to get hired with us...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Disillusioned Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    If you have been convicted of a felony and want to be a FF, have it expunged. If it can't be expunged, well then it sucks to be you.

How many FD's do not have candidates beating the door down when there is a test or an opening? Hardly any. Being a FF is a privelege and if you have screwed up that privelege, it still sucks to be you.
    Putting a known convicted felon to work in a position of trust such as firefighter or EMT, makes about as much sense to me as checking the level in my gas tank with a Bic lighter. The risk far outways the benefit.

I know of at least one case (i'm not going to mention department names out of respect for the guys there) where an individual was on a department and had a felony record...and they knew it. They finally had a call where someone recognized him, and reported that something had been stolen from their house while he had been there on a call. Did he actually steal something? Who knows, because it didn't matter. As far as the community was concerned, he did and the fire department and township officials were just as responsible for that reported theft because they had put this person in a position where he could have done it. The department took a very long time to get past the hard feelings within the community, and suffered a lack of trust for years after. Maybe he was innocent, but he was still in a position of high vulnerability to accusations.

Being a FF is a privelege and if you have screwed up that privelege, it still sucks to be you.
    Exactly! How many people are trying to get into the fire service today? And there's a whole lot of them that don't have a criminal record. I'll take the ones without a record every time, even if the law didn't say I had to. It's my job to bring the best people into my department as I can. I'm not a social worker; so somebody else's brush(es) with the law isn't something I can fix.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I'm from a volunteer department and we are not having boat loads of people turning up to join. I still would not have an arsonist on my department.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    I'm from a volunteer department and we are not having boat loads of people turning up to join. I still would not have an arsonist on my department.
    When the original poster used the word "hire", I did not interpret that as talking about VFD's.

Forum Member

Ya, someone else mentioned "hiring" and vols in another thread to. With the exception being a paycheck, we basically are employees of our town when we join the FD. We go, do, whatever the Town asks the FD to do. We fall under their same Worker Comp, same insurance, etc. We follow their rules, we follow their regulations, we do however, get much more time off than the rest of the employees.

(and even if we were paid, I'd hope we would still not hire them)

Forum Member

Exclamation

No felons or drug users need to apply. If you have been fired from the job and re-apply a couple of years later, Forget it, we still don't need you. Too many honest folks out there.

If you are a felon, you have no business being a firefighter or police officer, Period!!!

You aren't trust worthy. If you have committed a crime that you are a felon, ex-jail bird, you have had your voting rights taken away. You don't need be a firefighter or police officer.

Just go somewhere else, like mc donalds and flip the burgers.

As far as what the Lt from Memphis said, I think that the mayor may be a felon his self!! I can see why he likes the crooks. That whole city hall there needs to be investigated and the crap flushed down the tubes into the Mississippi!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

I agree. Its also a snub to those that kept there noses clean and worked hard to get there.
    There are plenty of people on the straight and narrow craveing these jobs........why are we saveing them for felons? No one is ENTITLED to a public safety job.....hell we fought a war in 1776 to get rid of entitlements.

But you also got people like capt. bob saying it doesnt matter till you have the badge.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

medic123
    Firehouse.com Guest

No we save them for elected office you know Mayor, Town Council

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My dept. has a few that were hired about 20 yrs. ago when politics ruled. Still have a few. A dept. near me has about 30 convicted felons on the job out of 92! What more would you expect in Rhode Island: "The state of Lobsters and Mobsters"!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Truckie

Hmmmm, how do I say this with tact-
    only if you are of a "protected class".
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Simply NO.

Thread Information