Forum Member

Default Historical cost of SCBAs

In justifying some expenses, I'd like to illustrate the exponential increases in the costs of staying compliant. However, I have never been the "buyer" on the department, and the guy with the records is out of town. Is anyone willing to guess at what SCBAs cost in 1999 vs. 2005?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't remember them increasing too much myself, they've always floated around $4K with mask & spare bottle. Your manufacturer ought to be able to help with that, I'm sure they have a salesperson or two with a decent memory.

Forum Member

I guess I'd also be curious how much turnout gear has increased, if much.... I can try to pin down a rep, but hoping someone here who feels pretty good about the answer will share a little faster so I can beat the deadline a little easier. I'll still start the process to contact the rep but will watch this, too.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Last new Scott SCBA I purchased was around 1997, was ~$2500 for scba and spare bottle. Price I have quoted now is ~$3800 (lots more bells and whistles )

Turnout gear I believe is just about the same cost now as it was then.

Not really sure that any of this would help justify current costs though, as what it cost years ago doesn't mean anything anymore. But what do I know, I'm 0 for 4 on grants.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thanks Bones. I was thinking of making that point that budget increases have been x% per year while expense increases have been y%, although I am also sure the panelists are well aware of this, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Someone just told me the price for spare masks for ISI's went from around $600 in 2004 to close to $1000 in 2005.....

How's that for inflation?

Thread Information