Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Window Security Film

Does anyone have any information on dealing with Scotch Ultrashield or any of the other window security films that are being marketed for hurricane & bomb protection and/or break in protection?

It is my understanding the FDNY has done some experimenting with the film and developed some procedures for dealing with it for ventilation and creating a secondary means of egress.

Thanks.

Default Re: Window Security Film

Originally posted by IAFF760
    Does anyone have any information on dealing with Scotch Ultrashield or any of the other window security films that are being marketed for hurricane & bomb protection and/or break in protection?

It is my understanding the FDNY has done some experimenting with the film and developed some procedures for dealing with it for ventilation and creating a secondary means of egress.

Thanks.
    Since it goes to the edge but not over the edge, the only time I have come across it, it actually helped in punching it out. The whole thing stayed together so few shards on the ground and it came out real clean at the edges, not sure this was the goal of 3M/Scotch or if it was just that one particular window, but I found no real problem. It was a retrofit though. If someone put on the film before installing the window in the frame that might be a different matter if the frame overlapped the film.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Both Anderson and Marvin Windows have donated "hurricane" windows to my department for testing in the near future. From what I have seen of them so far, they are pretty close to triple the thickness of standard windows, the frames are beefed up and in some cases, interlock. Best suggestion so far has been to use a K-12 saw to get through them. We'll let you know how we make out.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Originally posted by Bones42
    Both Anderson and Marvin Windows have donated "hurricane" windows to my department for testing in the near future. From what I have seen of them so far, they are pretty close to triple the thickness of standard windows, the frames are beefed up and in some cases, interlock. Best suggestion so far has been to use a K-12 saw to get through them. We'll let you know how we make out.
    I would definetly like to hear how that goes.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Thread Information