Thread: Leather helmet

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather helmet

Afetr many years its looks like I will have to give up my New Yorker and go with an NFPA model. I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on Phenix and Paul conway leathers. The one thing I noticed if that the Conway has a fiberglass inner core and I perfer to shape my lid, and I was not sure if this was do-able on the conway. Give those reviews up people!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Default Re: Leather helmet

Originally posted by onebmf
    Afetr many years its looks like I will have to give up my New Yorker and go with an NFPA model. I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on Phenix and Paul conway leathers. The one thing I noticed if that the Conway has a fiberglass inner core and I perfer to shape my lid, and I was not sure if this was do-able on the conway. Give those reviews up people!
    Forgive him, for he knows not what he does....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Trust me it comes with great resistance but alas, the powers at be state the following: Be gone with this non NFPA covering or you will be issued the dredded METRO!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I shall weep for many moons

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

My point was, that the merits of the various brands, styles, colors, and accessories of leather helmets have been debated, cussed, discussed, hashed out, bandied about, dropped, resurrected, etc. ad infinitum here in the forums too many times to mention (you are granted some leeway since you're new )

If we were to tan the hides of all the dead horses that have been beaten around here, EVERYONE could have a leather helmet .

BTW, I have a Metro style helmet. It fits nicely and protects my head from injury, which is all I've ever asked of it....

Oh, and welcome to the Forums
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

If we were to tan the hides of all the dead horses that have been beaten around here, EVERYONE could have a leather helmet
    Everyone except for Bou.

BTW, I have a Metro style helmet. It fits nicely and protects my head from injury, which is all I've ever asked of it....
    Makes a nice chock block as it is more aerodynamic than any leather helmet that I know of.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone except for Bou.
    Hell, even Mini-Me wears leather!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Default Re: Leather helmet

Originally posted by onebmf
    Get an N6A Houston.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I would like to second Capt. G's recommendation. The N6A Houston is basically an NFPA compliant version of the N5A New Yorker. I believe the only difference is a kevlar layer inside the impact liner.

Forum Member

Yeppers! the impact cap is the only real difference. Get an N6A my leatherheaded friend!!
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

Originally posted by DaSharkie

Everyone except for Bou.
    You got that right. I wear a leather belt and boots.
    Does that count?

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Default BS

I love that NFPA Horse#^$&, that Leather helmet will protect your head just fine. The N5A or better known as the New Yorker, has protected the heads of NYC Firefighters for too many years to count. Considering we are the busiest FD in the world, I have to laugh when these goofy people feel the NFPA is the end all, the N6A is bulkier and heavier! BS!!!!

Forum Member

Default Re: BS

Originally posted by Bronxfireman
    I love that NFPA Horse#^$&, that Leather helmet will protect your head just fine. The N5A or better known as the New Yorker, has protected the heads of NYC Firefighters for too many years to count. Considering we are the busiest FD in the world, I have to laugh when these goofy people feel the NFPA is the end all, the N6A is bulkier and heavier! BS!!!!
    I find that those who rant against NFPA have no idea what they do. Remember... some of the "silly standards" that you joke about just may save your arse one day.

As far as lids...he has to get one that is NFPA approved... I offered him an alternative. For the record.. I have both the N5 and N6A. I'm using the New Yorker right now and have the Houston as a backup lid.

From the Morning Pride website, the company that provides the FDNY with helmets and gear...
    For over 20 years, Morning Pride has developed and provided leading edge technology in fire helmets, culminating in the next generation "Plus Series" of Ben Franklin and Lite Force helmets. For Structural Firefighting Operations, our traditional "Ben 2 Plus" and modern "Lite Force Plus" both offer you the most advanced "FYR-Glass" shell technology. They feature improved internal components, better fit and ride, a full choice of NFPA 1971 (2000 edition) and/or OSHA compliant eye protection systems, and dozens of custom options.
    PS: nice "pleather"!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

dazed and confused

Default Re: Re: BS

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    PS: nice "pleather"!
    Now THAT was a hit below the belt!
    God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™ • Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

The question this brings up regarding FDNY is to ask how long it takes a new recruit for them to go out and get a leather lid to put off the unmerciful ballbusting said rookie would take for defaming a firehouse with a piece of recycled tupperware.

You got that right. I wear a leather belt and boots.
    Bou, we are going to have have your shift take you out one night and get a picture of you wearing a leather helmet. Then we'll get a picture of Mini-Me kicking you in the shins.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

hey cap,
    if that is a picture of the FDNY spec, but it has no eye protection other than flip downs (last I checked, bourkes were a trademarked thing), does it mean it is no longer NFPA comliant?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Default leather

I have a Paul Conway leather lid, great fitting comfortable and NFPA compliant, why? because my department requires it, no exceptions.

Carines Sam Housten N6A is also NFPA compliant with eye protection.
    I think Phenoix offers a leather lid also??

The Conway is very rigid, with the fiberglass / kevlar impact protection, it is not "adjustable" for that custom look. I would guess that you could heat it enough to "adjust" it but why? Risk compromising the impact protection your paying for??

not on my lid, not on my crew.

stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey there Cap...you can take all the pot shots you want at me. The NFPA does some good things, but don't tell me they aren't excessive in other things. The New Yorker as I said protects the head of the busiest FD in the world for how many years now! That was my point, not to get in some ****ing match with someone who has all the NFPA manuals in his living room for leisurely reading. Oh and yea I don't wear a pleather, so go pick on someone else who might be ascared of you!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bronxfireman
    Hey there Cap...you can take all the pot shots you want at me. The NFPA does some good things, but don't tell me they aren't excessive in other things. The New Yorker as I said protects the head of the busiest FD in the world for how many years now! That was my point, not to get in some ****ing match with someone who has all the NFPA manuals in his living room for leisurely reading. Oh and yea I don't wear a pleather, so go pick on someone else who might be ascared of you!!
    Au contraire, mon frere...

I don't have NFPA manuals as coffee table reading material (Fire Engineering and Firehouse, Automobile and Car and Driver are more my style), it's nice to see another "leatherhead", I know the FDNY is busy, you don't have to try to impress me with that fact!

PS: How are things in "Da Bronx"?
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default NFPA Bishes

Just to clarify for any who don't know or who may have misdirected anger towards the NFPA-

They are MODEL codes and standards. They are not enforcers. All they do is write standards and make it available for a fee to cover their operating costs (non profit).

If anyone feels the need to be angry at someone for trying to provide a higher standard for protection, then be angry at the enforcers.

NFPA has nothing to do with what safety standard FDNY or anyone else chooses to adopt and enforce.

Forum Member

Default Helmet

And for the record, a finely outfitted N6A rests atop my head when I'm at work.

Althought a case could probably be made whether what is contained between my ears really needs protection or not...

MembersZone Subscriber

The NFPA is made up of people who make and sell things. They prey on departments who consider them to be lawmakers (which they are not) these are recommendations made by a committee of business people looking to sell more products.
    As for the earlier question regarding the P.O.S. ben 2 no it is not NFPA compliant, the eyeshields (that nobody uses anyway) prevent it from being NFPA compliant.
    As for the chestbeating about the FDNY being the busiest... get over it brother, there are smaller depts all over this land (yes even vollies!) doing as much if not MORE work (actual fires not b.s. runs) than we do at FDNY.

Forum Member

jfTL41, you have a very backwards, misguided view of the NFPA. I don't want to sound insulting, but at the same time I don't like to see members of the fire service promulgating such skewed opinions about NFPA.

First off, NFPA is PRIVATE and NON PROFIT. They have no affiliations with any manufacturers of fire equipment or fire protection equipment.

The codes themselves are written by committees whose members are all VOLUNTEER and also considered to leading experts in the particular field the code deals with.

And here's the best part, all the meetins are OPEN to ANYONE who wants to attend. Not only that, but in the revision cycle of every code and standard (at least every three years) there is a process called proposels and comments.

Anyone, yes, anyone can submit a proposal to the committee of any standard for change in that standard. All proposals are published in what is known as a Report on Proposals (ROP). Proposals, in part or in full have to be approved by a 2/3 vote of the technical committee. The reasons for adoption are also published in the ROP

THEN anyone who wants to can send in comments on the proposed changes. Action is again decided by a 2/3 vote and published in a Report on Comments.

Also, anyone can show up to either of the proposals or comments meetins to deliver or speak with the technical committees in person.

AND THEN... when the new version of the code goes up to vote... ANY MEMBER OF NFPA can show up and vote on the code. AND ANYONE WHO CAN AFFORD THE SMALL DUES CAN BE A MEMBER. Even you, jfTL41.

There are no secret handshakes, no scheming businessmen. This is a totally open process. The prices NFPA charges for their codes are simply to cover the costs of publishing.

Once again, they do not implement or enforce anything. That is all up to the government and YOUR fire department.

Forum Member

Sorry for the thread hijack, btw. I thought it was justified.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Au contraire, mon frere...

I don't have NFPA manuals as coffee table reading material (Fire Engineering and Firehouse, Automobile and Car and Driver are more my style), it's nice to see another "leatherhead", I know the FDNY is busy, you don't have to try to impress me with that fact!

PS: How are things in "Da Bronx"?
    Ah well at least you have humor!!! I am not trying to impress you with the fact that FDNY is busy or as 41Truck guy said pounding my chest. I was simply trying to make the point that the NFPA does go over board. JFTL41 said it exactly right IMO, all I was saying is that we are slightly busy and I can only think of one incident off the top of my head........of course I may have to research this now.....A captain was killed when a coping stone got knocked off of a 6 story building by a tower ladder and hit him in the head. This was years ago, probably before the fancy impact caps inside the Leathers, but as you know he could have had a steel helmet on and probably still would have gotten killed. I believe the force broke his neck! So again I am not bragging and I anot pounding, just making a statement, although I sure am proud of where I work and will hopefully wear my leather forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information