Forum Member

Default CT Police officers save suicial woman from own car fire

(I'd like to say this is for fireguy919, but I won't )

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=3172109

Two officers called heroes after saving woman

(Hartford-WTNH, Apr. 5, 2005 10:25 PM) _ Two Hartford police officers are being hailed as heroes after saving a distraught woman who set her car on fire while she was in it.

* by News Channel 8's Bob Wilson

The charred, burnt car is at the Hartford police impound yard. Police say it was a suicide attempt at a gas station on Airport Road. It happened last night. A clerk called 911 after the woman had filled up a gas can and sat in the car with a lighter.

"Explosion, explosion, that was my fear."

The police officer approached the front window and saw a woman with a lighter in her hand and a can of gas on the seat.

The officer tried to get her to open the door and she lit off the gas can. Police broke the window, and the woman climbed to the back seat where they had to wrestle her out of the back of the burning car.

"She resisted and didn't want to get out, they pulled her out and then the car went up in flames in seconds. In seconds. They moved out just in time," says Tony Cavallaro, witness.

The two police officers then evacuated the Wendy's next door as the flames got bigger and bigger.

"Flames hit the top of the canopy. It was something out of the movies."

"I've been at this for 40 years in several different cities and I've rarely seen an act of bravery like this."

The fire department put out the flames before they could spread to the under ground tanks.

"We can rely on other officers to act the same way, when people walk away from danger, our officers run into it and they saved her life, there is no doubt about that,"says Asst. Chief Andrew Rosenweig.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Of all the ways people choose to commit suicide, why would anyone want to choose burning to death?

And I'd be interested to find out how exactly the reporter that wrote this article expected the car fire to spread to the underground gasoline tanks...

Also, does anyone know what they mean in the article when they say "Flames hit the top of the canopy. It was something out of the movies." ?

If they mean the gas station canopy I'd be interested to know why the dry system did not discharge.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work in that area of Hartford as an EMT. It almost sounds like she didn't really want to kill herself, but I don't know. Right around the corner from there is an industrial area, where no one would have noticed her until it was too late. Instead she was on a major road in that section of town.

Forum Member

Well concidering these people are not generally of sound mind, I wouldn't expect them to pick "the best spot" to kill themselves.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Good job officers. credit is given where credit is due.

( I made a mistake. Was not the right place for what I did. I admitted I was wrong. Guess I should have never done that. Now I will walk away from this. I dont care what you think of me.)

Thread Information