Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What do you guys do?..

This may be the wrong forum to ask this question, but not much traffic on any other forum here, so I thought I would ask it here.. if it needs deleted and put on another board I will do that..

We are a local all Volunteer department. We have around 25 active members. Currently we have nothing in the by-laws of our department on how we elect a fire chief. We also have nothing written down to explain his duties or his accountablity. How do some of you local departments handle this? Do you allow your firemen to vote on the chief? Do you do it once a year? Do you let the firemen reccomend a chief to the fire Board or just let the Fire Board do the placing of the chief?. You paid guys have to remember this is "Volunteer"..but still imo everyone needs to be accountable to someone.
    I'm a fireman, and I'm on the Fire board of our department. Recently we had a couple guys get some minor injuries at a fire and come to find out our chief hadnt turned in our Workers Comp stuff.. and it hadnt been turned in the last 2 years.. fortunatly no serious injury has occured.. but you get what I'm tryin to say here. As a board member we need to adopt in our by laws ways to deal with these issues.. Would love it if someone had some PDF files of thier by laws they could email me.. ANY HELP would be appreciated. ... thanx

-- By-laws layout we elect the Chief, the date & procedures of the election (along with the other officers)
    -- By-laws also lay out in the absence of the Chief, authority of the Chief is delegated to the Deputy, then ***'t, and so on through the officer ranks until it arrives at the Senior Active Member (there's more verbage that makes that all explicit)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Throughout my 20 years in the fire service I have served on several different volunteer departments. I have found out and learned that if you have a Fire Chief that is appointed by a "Fire Board" it is easier to appoint a replacement if the Chief is not meeting the needed expectations of the City and Department. At the same time I have scene it time and time again that if the membership "votes" on a Chief, that often the Chief that is not doing such a good job keeps getting elected because his buddies vote him in and others dont have enough votes together to vote another member in, or are worried they may be "harrased" if they do not vote for the Chief that is not doing his job. However a department determines who serves as Chief it is very important that they have clear By-Laws, Rules and Regs. SOP, SOG whatever you want to call them in place to hold not just the Chief but every member of the department responsible for the actions they take. These are just my opinions from what I have experenced in the past, I will keep up with this thread to see how others respond to the orignal post, as this is a problem I see and hear about from time to time.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

We elect our officers for 1 year terms. If they aren't doing a satisfactory job, they don't get re-elected. Duties/responsibilities for the officers are spelled out in the by-laws, our SOG's, and town ordinances. Standards/requirements are also spelled out in by-laws/ordinances.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Whats SOG?.. I know SOP... standar operatin procedures.. but forgive me for being green...

standard operating guideline.

Same thing, basically.

Makes some people feel better by saying guideline as opposed to procedure. Their thinking is that a "guideline" is just that, a guide to what you should do but you may vary it as needed. "Procedure" is a procedure, no variations, otherwise it's not following the procedure.

See? Clear as mud.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

SOG = Standard Operating Guideline

The difference between SOP's and SOG's is akin to the "letter of the law" and "the spirit of the law."

Forum Member

thanx...lol

The way we do it. The executive board takes letters of intent to run for chief. They review it and interview people applying. Executive board then makes itís choice for chief. It is then given to the association to except the chief. The chief is responsible for all fire equipment and fire call sopís. our requirements are 5 years continuos service in our department, 3 years as officer in our department, Resident of our township. The chiefís term run three years. The first year is a probation year. At the end of the three years it is opened to anyone who wants it. Asst. Chief is 3 years continuos service 2 years officer in our dept.. Captain 2 years in our department as lieutenant. Lieutenants have to have two years in our department. Hope this helps good luck.

Forum Member

Our by law is pretty close to dalmation90s post. All officers are a 1 year elected term. Each member is responsible for his own actions, but ultimitely the chief is accountable for all that goes on, including any deligated responsibility, like paying bills. If anyone is going to get bent over, I always know who will get the call. lol

Forum Member

Our Chief, Deputy Chief and Assistant Chief are appointed yearly by the Board of Commisioners. All other officers are appointed by the chief and confirmed by the board. There are minimum training standards, vehicle/EMS qualifications and length of service requirements for each officer's posistion. The Chief and Deputy Chief are volunteers. The Asst. Chief is full-time and handles the day to day operations of the department.

We are a primarily volunteer department with a paid Asst. Chief, 3 full-time firefighters (24 hour shifts), several part-time firefighters (qualified volunteers who cover a day shift and provide vacation/sick time/days off relief for the full-timers) and a paid adminisrative assistant.

Most other departments I have been on have been elected (primarily independent, volunteer companies) with a couple being appointments by the Town Manager or Selectboard (paid on call or volunteer muncipally funded departments).

-- By-laws layout we elect the Chief, the date & procedures of the election (along with the other officers)
    -- By-laws also lay out in the absence of the Chief, authority of the Chief is delegated to the Deputy, then ***'t, and so on through the officer ranks until it arrives at the Senior Active Member (there's more verbage that makes that all explicit)
    Same for my old volunteer department, but the Chief appoints his officers. The required qualifications are spelled out..
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our constitution spells out the procedures for electing a Chief and his responsibilities. The Chief is elected to a 2 year term. All other officers are appointed by the Chief and approved by the Board of Directors before being sent to the county for approval. The Chief is responsible to the Board of Directors, which is also elected. Basically the Chief is responsible for operational issues and the Board is responsible for administrative issues. Qualifications for all officer positions are set by the county, but also spelled out in the constitution.

Forum Member

thanks alot guys.. lots of good info..

Thread Information