Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teaching

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Teaching

Hi. Have not been on the forums in a while. I am a firefighter/paramedic in the North Texas area, & have recently obtained my certs to teach both fire & EMS. I would like to start teaching, but am not certain how to get started. My department is small, & has limited opportunities for teaching/training. I would like to start teaching at the college/academy level, but have searched online for those in the area that teach fire & EMS, & none are posting that they are looking for instructors. If anyone out there has been in my shoes, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get my foot in the door. Thanks very much.

FireResQ210,

Good luck with your teaching career you will get no better satisfaction that teaching others. I do not know your teaching background but if there are not any college/academy level positions in your area how about visiting departments in your area and offering to teach them some classes at a very nominal fee (they are strapped for training dollers also) getting your name out there as a quality instructor is the big thing you need to do. (Again I do not know your background so you may already have your name out there as a good instructor). Is this something you want to do full time or part time to earn a few extra dollers? What level Instructor Cert. do you have from the Texas Fire Commission and TDH? Good luck and Congrats.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice. Am at intermediate level on fire, instructor really has only one level here. Have to get additional EMS certs to add to it (ACLS instructor, etc.) Getting my CPR instructor later this month, so will be able to add that to the list.

I started as an assistant to some decent instructors and followed their lead. Then I became a lead instructor and eventually an instructor trainer....

It is fun to teach and provide some guidance to the young ones in today's service.

Pick topics that you enjoy and start that way. They will not be hard to prepare for and help you when you get to the harder ones that appear boring. Remember every subject has some importance.... And just because you are an instructor, it does not mean you are an all knowing almight firefighter....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

medic123
    Firehouse.com Guest

On the Fire side I am not familiar with your area but in NY state the way to work your way up is once you become a Fire Instructor you assist with classes for a while, try volunteering on that front.

On EMS side, I started with first associating myself with local College that teaches EMS, both BLS and ALS classes. Then became ACLS, PHTLS, and PALS instructor. Then started teaching those classes and built up some experience before college was going to have me as a true associate facility.
    Good Luck

Thread Information