MembersZone Subscriber

Angry I am absolutely certain...

...that my house knows when the Hubby isn't home. It bide's it's time then dumb stuff happens. These incidents are true. Case(s) in point:

1) Hubby is snowed in an hour's drive away. Frigid temps with blinding snow. Young child with a nasty cold. It is a given that the furnace motor will seize when all the local businesses have shut down and it's late at night. (Now Hubby knows why I insisted that any house we owned would have a high efficiency fireplace. That puppy sure came in handy.)

2) Before leaving on a long weekend, your doorknob will separate from the door for no apparent reason. When the doorknob is re-installed the door will no longer match up with the slot for the deadbolt. (Ya, go figure!) Your Hubby will already be at the Lake relaxing with no way to be contacted. Because he insisted that it was the only way to attain complete relaxation. (For Who?!?!?!?) Both parties now have cell phones!

3) The afternoon before leaving for the FC conference the wife will arrive home to find a noxious smell of hot plastic. Occasionally there will be a ferocious noise that will quit just as she gets close to the source. The (fed-up) wife will discover the noise is coming from the doorchimes. As she opens the breaker box to flip the switch it will trigger itself thereby ever-so-slightly freaking her out. Finished with freaking out, the wife shall decide to remove the cover of the door chimes and stare at the 2 white and 1 red wire before disconnecting them and calling the Hubby. He is once again unavailable and the electrician has left for the day. The wife has decided to calm herself by typing this post on the computer.

#3 will be resolved when the Hubby comes home. He will get dinner, a smooch and led directly to the door chimes. Said Husband will shake his head, grin and make some comment to the effect that it could only happen to the wife. The wife shall attempt to restrain herself from hitting the husband because then, for sure, the flipping door chimes will not get fixed! I swear, this house just KNOWS when the Hubby isn't home because it doesn't do this weird stuff when he's putzing around the house.

I hope you have enjoyed this post. I did not particularly enjoy the experiences at the time, but I DO have a sense of humour so go ahead and have a laugh on me!
    Last edited by ROOKIELZ; 04-06-2005 at 06:22 PM.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Calming yourself by posting, eh, Rookie? I'd be at the pub with a Granddad in hand. Come on over and I'll buy you a drink.....sounds like you need it! Next time tell him the remote's not working and see how fast he comes running home!

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think a broken remote would be a big issue for either of us.

A plastic piece came off the door chime and dropped onto the copper coils, melting and causing big stink, melted plastic and malfunction. I'm just glad it wasn't something worse. I can live without a door chime. I just didn't want to leave for the SAFC conference without resolving the issue; this year the teen is staying home alone
    IACOJ
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't you ever watch the movies? You know, the ones with the bomb attached to the school bus filled with orphans and the 25 YOA teacher with her shirt unbuttoned down to here? Of course not, that's not a chick flick. If you did, you would know...

Cut the red wire.

District Chief

George.....in the other movie..... The one where the 25 yo bus driver wears a mini skirt and halter top.........it is the green wire!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, but in the other movie with the nurse in the garter and stockings...Oh. Wait a minute. There was NO wire in that one.

MembersZone Subscriber

ROOKIELZ -

Here, try this on for size...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Disillusioned Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Don't you ever watch the movies? You know, the ones with the bomb attached to the school bus filled with orphans and the 25 YOA teacher with her shirt unbuttoned down to here? Of course not, that's not a chick flick. If you did, you would know...

Cut the red wire.
    That's only for a bomb built to the 2000 edition of NFPA 9999, Standard for Construction of Improvised Explosive Devices. That code requires that the non-collapsable circuit be wired with a 16g red wire. In the 2003 edition it was changed it to a 14 gauge blue wire, and it must have over current protection in place. Of all people, George, I thought you would be up on this stuff.

Disclaimer: Just so everyone's clear, there is no such NFPA standard. This post was strictly for entertainment purposes only, and was not intended to suggest there is an actual standard of any kind for IED's.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Originally posted by Steamer
    That's only for a bomb built to the 2000 edition of NFPA 9999, Standard for Construction of Improvised Explosive Devices. That code requires that the non-collapsable circuit be wired with a 16g red wire. In the 2003 edition it was changed it to a 14 gauge blue wire, and it must have over current protection in place. Of all people, George, I thought you would be up on this stuff.

Disclaimer: Just so everyone's clear, there is no such NFPA standard. This post was strictly for entertainment purposes only, and was not intended to suggest there is an actual standard of any kind for IED's.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the chuckle this morning!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Funny, my house and car both seem to know exactly when my bank account has reached it's ultimate limit. Never fails, down to my last few dollars, a couple days or so till pay day.........BAM!!!!! Somethings gotta go.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Yeah, but in the other movie with the nurse in the garter and stockings...Oh. Wait a minute. There was NO wire in that one.

Everything was "wireless" in that one.

LMAO @ this thread!!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

SBDFCO1: Ahhhh, thank-you. That's MUCH better.
    IACOJ
    I am willing to learn.

Thread Information