Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building grant

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Building grant

Who might fund a second station for a rural volunteer department? Only need a two-bay metal building <$30,000.

Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

US Department of Housing and Urban Development has a program for Rural Departments to receive funding. Can't remember the exact name offhand, but it's pretty easy to find on their web site, www.hud.gov .

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

It's the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development Agency that does this sort of grant. We just got one, even though it only paid 35% of the cost. Check with your local dept. of ag office, probably one in your county. It's tougher to get grant money now from them since they changed their income guidelines for residents. Fire Districts also do not qualify for building grants from them. Municipalities do, so you may be able to get the city or town where it is going to be located to put up the building and then the FD can use it. E-mail me if you'd like some more info on how we did it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're willing to go a bit "outside of the box" I have have a suggestion for you.

You may have seen the "hoop frame" buildings that farmers and greenhouses have been using widely for the last 15-20 years. Large metal arch with fabric cover.

As http://www.farmtekcatalog.com/0005.asp

However less expensive and what I did. US Army has used similar (though much heavier duty) hoop frame building as field maintenance tents. Heavy duty magnesium frame with canvas cover and optional quilted liner. Frames come with electical wire set/light/outlets. Consist of end section (chain operated roll up door) and intermediate sections. You keep adding intermediate sections until you get the length you want. Width is 20', door 14'. I don't recall the door or OA height at the moment.

You can get these as complete buildings (rarely). Or easily sections - end frame set, intermed frame sets, end cover, intermed cover, end liner, intermed liner and anchor set. The military is replacing these after about 40 years. Most of what is available is brand new in the crate. You state forester can obtain form the miltary surplus system (FEPP) or you can purchase from the public auction system www.govliquidation.com

We got enough for 200' (or 3 each 70').

Would work fine for rural station. Army made them big enough to drive large trucks in. Very durable. Don't plan on putting tin on the frames though. As mentioned, frames are magnesium, drilling/screwing problem and galvanic corrosion will be a problem. I'd put alarm/security lights/camera inside for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by neiowa; 04-07-2005 at 12:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Us mil maint tent
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks so much. You guys were great help!

Jason

Originally posted by neiowa
    Us mil maint tent
    LMAO...swear to god...that's one one of the funniest things I've ever seen here!

Thread Information