Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone not use their suspenders on thier bunker pants?

ok, this might be a stupid idea, but I don't know what else I can do

Here's my problem. on my new set of turnout pants (well, an old set, but the only pair that fit me), it would appear that the suspenders are too short. the pants fit, but when it put the suspenders over my shoulders, they cause the pants to rise about 3+ inches, which causes the pantlegs to rise sometimes over my boots. it also puts the waist part about 2 inches below my nipple line when I am sitting down in the back of the engine. I spoke to my department admin, and she said the suspenders only come in one size. unfortunately, because I'm 6'3", I guess one size doesn't fit all.

I have seen some guys (not my department) wear their pants without putting the suspenders up. To me, this causes a hazzard for something to get tangled up on. so I was wondering if anyone just removes the suspenders all together, and relies on the only the pants themselves to stay up.

I should be getting new gear ordered soon, but until that happens, I need an alternative.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I know many guys that do not use the suspenders at all. Their pants fit right and stay up with the way the pants are taylored and the side straps pulled tight.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Suspenders DO come in more than one size. We use the padded lion suspenders and order the long size for our tall members.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know plenty of guys who also don't wear the susspenders. Mostly truck guys as they won't be crawling along with a hose in water so they don't have the same issues as Engine guys.

FTM-PTB

Originally posted by FFFRED
    I know plenty of guys who also don't wear the susspenders. Mostly truck guys as they won't be crawling along with a hose in water so they don't have the same issues as Engine guys.

FTM-PTB
    Have yet to meet a regular Chauffer/Driver who wore them either.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Suspenders DO come in more than one size. We use the padded lion suspenders and order the long size for our tall members.
    What he said. I know Lion makes them in at least short, regular, and tall sizes.

Originally posted by FFFRED
    Mostly truck guys as they won't be crawling along with a hose in water so they don't have the same issues as Engine guys.
    Fred, maybe i'm missing something, but what issues are you referring to?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

Thumbs down Hate 'em

I do not wear suspenders......I hate them!!!

I put a belt where the harness used to be.
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

MembersZone Subscriber

DrParasite,

Truck guys usually aren't on their knees the whole time sloshing through water as you make the push in with the line. Most Truck guys I know like to do a combination of a duckwalk and kneeling with one knee as they search an apartment; they are climbing ladders, fire escapes, working on the roof etc. The nozzle team moves in on the fire low and thus is on their knees in a few inches of water after you've started the flow and this can pull the pants downward if they aren't securely around the hips...that is why I prefer suspenders if you are an Engine man. However I do know some Engine guys that don't wear the suspenders and the pants fit them snuggly and they can get away without them.

It's really just each mans preference.

FTM-PTB

like the others have said, check with the maker of your turnouts I bet you can order a set of suspenders that will fit better. Also there are a few custom made suspenders out there with a little search you may be able to find something. Good Luck.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

I'm 6'3" also and don't have a problem with my suspenders pulling pants up to nipple line. Tell your admin person to do some research and find a set that fits.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

I'm a big guy too (6'2"), but have never had any problems with my Lion suspenders. I pull my pants up to the appropriate height, pull the tightening straps down, then pull the suspenders tight and that's it.

I've always worn my suspenders, even when I've just got the pants on in rehab or whatnot.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

I've had problems with bunker pants and suspenders until I was measured for my own set. When I first started you got what was available. Now my gear is tailored to fit. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Suspenders are an issued gear item, therefore we all wear them.

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

as FFFRED stated, if im on the engine I wear them, on the truck I prefer not too.

personal preferance.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

We use the padded Lion suspenders too. The first pair I got were too short (I'm 6'2) and caused similar problems to the ones you mention, so I ordered a set of the long ones and they're just fine.

If I'm wearing full turnouts, I always have the suspenders up. I'll occasionally leave them "hanging" on a medical call when I'm just in my pants.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

recently got some Morning Pride USAR gear .......they DO have more than one size of suspender .
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Well as most have said you can order a pair that would fit...but for the sake of adding a new look at your problem let me submit this idea or two for you to look at. Do you know anyone who knows how to stitch...you might be able to get someone to lengthen the suspenders for you...wouldn't cost much to get a strip or two of cotton (or whatever material you choose, make sure its not a plastic) and some industrial strength thread to lengthen the suspenders. Another option (which would look nice too) would be to find a pair of old belts and have someone stitch the fastening element of the suspenders to the belts, leather suspenders. Also you can take the route of no suspenders and find an old belt to run around your waist (I tried the no suspenders deal a little while ago, the only problem was that when I tried to get them on I had to shimmy alot to get them up...with a belt all you do is leave it unfastened and when they are pulled up just tighten the belt). Lastly, you might want to take a trip to the local surplus store...there stands a chance they might have some old WW2 suspenders that are adjustable...don't go for the newer stuff unless you know its not nylon, because all the newer stuff is nylon (or what I have seen)...Hope this solves your problem

I don't wear suspenders, I don't like them. As stated in earlier posts, I am a truckman. My bunkers fit well and have no problems keeping them up even when wet.

I feel that when my bunkers get wet, it adds additional weight on my shoulders. During overhaul, I don't need tired shoulders.

BTW, I take offense to the comment that omits the fact that truckmen pull their share of line(I'm not really offended). It's a team effort, truckmen and nozzlemen. Everyone that enters had better grab a handful of hose.

Luike others have said...get a differetn pair of suspenders.... All manufacturers have different sizes and styles of suspenders... You simply have to ask.....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

It probabaly doesn't help that you are as wide as you are tall
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Thread Information